32

My body felt heavy, like something was weighing it down. Pinpricks of pain dotted my arms and legs. There was a constant beeping sound in the background and it annoyed me. I just wanted to go back to sleep.

I opened my eyes slightly and quickly shut it again. Bright. Too bright. I groaned. Couldn't I just go back to sleep?

A chair scraped nearby and I froze.

"Chloe? Chloe, honey are you awake?"

I frowned. Was that... was that my mother? I opened an eye and squinted at the blurry form.

"Mother?" I croaked. My throat was parched and I wanted water badly.

"Yes honey, it's me."

No way. My mother calling me honey? I had to be hallucinating.

I raised my hand to poke her, to check if she's real, but I couldn't move my hand. I sighed.

"I'm dreaming," I mumbled.

"What? No, you're not dreaming," Mother said, pushing my hair off my face.

"Then why can't I–" I looked down and saw that my hand was in a cast. "Oh."

"What? Does it hurt?"

I shook my head. "Aren't you supposed to be in..."

"Italy? Yeah," she sighed. "Then you went and got kidnapped so we had to fly back here."

I stared at her in disbelief. Was she seriously blaming me for getting kidnapped? Well at least now I know I'm not dreaming.

"Is Father here too?" I asked.

"Yes. He and your bodyguard are talking to the police. The police might want to talk to you soon."

I nodded. "Okay. Can I get some water?"

Instead of going and getting it like a normal person, Mother pressed the button for a nurse and then sat back with her arms crossed. A nurse came in and smiled at me.

"You're up! How are you feeling?"

"Thirsty," I said hoarsely.

"I'll get you some water. Do you think you're ready to talk to the cops? They'd like to see you as soon as possible."

"Yeah sure," I shrugged feebly.

The nurse nodded and went out. A few seconds later the door opened and in came my father, two cops and Keith. I looked at Keith but he stood at the back of the room with his arms crossed, not looking at me. I swallowed nervously and turned to the officers.

"Good evening Chloe," the lady cop said. "Are you feeling better?"

I nodded. The door opened again and the nurse came in with a plastic cup and a bottle of water. She helped me sit up and poured a cup of water before leaving. I gulped down the cool water instantly.

The other cop cleared his throat. "We have a few questions for you."

No shit, Sherlock.

"Okay," I said.

"Tell us what happened," he said.

"I was kidnapped," I said and glanced at the water bottle. "Can I have more water?"

Mother poured me a glass of water and I took a thirsty gulp.

"Can you tell us in detail what happened last night?" asked lady cop.

I took a deep breath. "I snuck out of my room at midnight and went for a walk with my boyfriend and then Markov ambushed us and beat Caleb unconscious with a frickin baseball bat then made me unconscious with chloroform. When I woke up I was in an empty room, tied to a chair. Then the psychopath Markov came and said I was gonna die and set up a camera to document it. When he left I tried to free myself. I bashed up the camera and used a sharp piece of glass from its broken lens to cut the ropes and then I escaped through the vents and called emergency then passed out. And now I've woken up in a hospital."