Chapter 1

"Happy birthday, Josie!" Mary chanted as she sat a large white cake on the kitchen table in front of me. I licked my lips hungrily as I gazed down at the frosted masterpiece. Mary had been the cook at the orphanage for as long as I can remember. Her cakes never disappointed.

"How does eighteen feel?" Lizzie grinned beside me. She was the youngest kid left at the orphanage. At only six years old, Lizzie was already reading college-level books.

"It feels pretty different," I laughed as I watched Mary cut into the cake. We had just finished our supper. Mary had made her famous spaghetti for my birthday.

I had officially spent eighteen birthdays at the orphanage. I'd watched many children come and go during that time. Finally tomorrow would be my time to go.

"Are you really leaving tomorrow?" fourteen-year-old Tommy asked, digging into the slice of cake Mary had sat before him.

"Yes, but I'll come back to visit, I promise," I smiled, hoping the subject would get changed. I didnt want to spend my last night here discussing anything sad.

"That's what everyone says when they leave." Eight-year-old Grace piped up glumly. She was fidgeting with her long blonde braid. She always did when she was trying not to cry.

"I will come back, I promise." I insisted with a tight smile. The cake was absolutely heavenly. I chewed the fluffy goodness, happily.

"Everyone forgets about us once they leave," Grace added, sadly studying her own slice of cake.

"Is that true?" Twelve year old Anna gasped. She was the newest orphan. She had only been here for three weeks.

"That's enough, children. No one is forgetting anyone! Josie is just going to find out about her family." Mary scolded the children before heading back to the kitchen.

Mary had been completely right. I had been looking forward to this day my whole life. She had found me on her doorstep when I was just a newborn. My umbilical cord had been freshly cut. The only things in the basket besides me had been a piece of paper with the name Josie scrawled on it and a strange looking amulet.

On my fourth birthday, Mary had given me the amulet as a present. I had always asked her about my family and she gave me the only answer she had. The amulet was a small, beautiful sapphire with a delicate sterling silver chain. I'd held onto it for dear life ever since then.

For some reason, I was the only one to never be adopted. I'd watched so many come and go. Even as a child, I couldn't understand why no one showed interest in me. I had been just as cute as all the rest, but something repelled people.

The small amulet had been my only hope. As I'd grown older, Mary sent me out doing odd jobs here and there. She had helped me open a savings account. I had saved every penny of my earnings for this day.

I tried to enjoy the conversations with the children. It was hard not to think about what tomorrow might hold. I watched as they finished their cake one by one. Before long, the only one left at the table was me.

"Are you excited, dear?" Mary grinned as she cleared the table.

"Yes. I've been waiting so long I can't believe it's time." I laughed as I stood to help her with the dishes.

"I hate to see you go, Josie. You've been like a daughter to me." She murmured as her eyes clouded over with tears. She wiped them away quickly as if trying not to ruin the moment.

"I won't leave forever, Mary." I smiled, hugging the little plump woman. I couldn't help but love her. She was the closest thing to family I had.

After we had the table completely cleaned off, I headed up to my bedroom. Grace and Lizzie were sitting on my bed waiting for me.

"Are you really going to cross into the Supernaturals territory?" Lizzie demanded, holding up the map I'd been doodling on. I snatched it from her little hands and folded it.

"It's just a possibility, Lizzie." I sighed.

"If you're a human, you die when you cross over there. I hope you know that. I've read a lot about it at the library." Lizzie continued with her lecture anyways. I studied the tiny blonde-haired, blue-eyed little genius. How in the world could someone so young be this smart?

"I know, Lizzie. You told me this yesterday, remember? Now go brush your teeth and get ready for bed."

She hesitated for a minute as if she had more to say. Instead, she headed off to the bathroom obediently. Grace started to walk out, but paused in the doorway.

"Josie, please be careful." She whispered softly, once again toying with her long, braided hair. I hugged her briefly before sending her out the door. My bags were already packed and sitting in the corner. I flopped onto my bed and pulled out the pendant.

I had mapped out the quickest way to go into the Supernaturals territory for good reason. Ever since I had first held the sapphire pendant, I knew something was magical about it. It had to have come from someone supernatural. I knew it down to my core.

Crossing over into their territory was a very risky. If I lived through it there was still no guarantee that my answers were over there. It was the closest thing I had to a chance, though.

The night dragged by slower than usual, it seemed. I tossed and turned, trying to find the best position for a goodnight sleep. It was hard to get comfortable when the most exciting day of my life was just around the corner. I held the pendant up in the small stream of light beaming through the window and watched it sparkle teasingly.

I'd done plenty of research on it but came up with nothing. If it was indeed a supernatural relic the answers would be in their territory. The human side of the country didnt contain very much supernatural books for research.

I wondered if my parents had left me the amulet. I could almost envision a woman with brown hair and blue eyes,just like me, bending to kiss my fresh pink forehead. I imagined her carefully placing me into the basket and removing the necklace from her neck. She tearfully places it in the basket with me as she gives me one more farewell kiss.

While most orphans dreamed of a new family, I always dreamed of my old one. Had my mother birthed me at a young age and been forced to give me up? Did she leave the amulet in hope of it leading me to her? The possibilities were endless.

My overactive mind finally began to tire me out as sleep won its battle over me. I dreamed of a woman I believe was my mother. She was the same woman in every dream...

Waves crashed against my feet as I squinted through the thick, ominous fog. I hugged my shivering body as my feet pounded through the sand.

"Josie," the voice floated through the wind. I turned in the direction of voice.

"Mom?"

"Josie, you need to hurry. Come find me."

"I'm coming, mom!"

I ran faster through the sand. The closer I got to the sound, the farther away she seemed. Just when I was about to give up, we were face to face. She smiled at me sweetly. She had the same chestnut hair as me just a little longer. Her eyes were the same aqua color as mine. She opened her hand, revealing the sapphire amulet.

"It's what's on the inside that matters."