Chaper 2

"Its what's on the inside that matters."

The voice from my dream still sounded through my ears as I awoke in a pouring sweat. I noticed I was still clutching the amulet in my hand. It felt almost as if it was vibrating. Which was impossible, it was just a necklace.

I placed it on the nightstand carefully. Today was the day. I rushed to my bathroom to get ready. I studied my reflection. The woman in my dream must be my mother. We had shared the same shoulder length brown hair and big blue eyes.

I pulled my hair back into a ponytail as I continued to study my appearance. She had been extremely beautiful. Myself, on the other hand,  didn't share her inhuman-like beauty. Sure, I was pretty, but not like she was. Other than my deep turquoise eyes, my face was rather plain.

I wasn't the type of girl that would turn everyone's head when I walked by. I had a slim, full, feminine figure but I only stood five-foot-two. The woman in my dream was taller.

I threw on the teal tank top and jean shorts I had laid out for today. It was too hot outside to dress up. I walked over to the night stand where the only key to my family lay. I carefully fastened it around my neck, it felt warm against my chest.

I grabbed what small belongings I had packed and made my way downstairs to say goodbye. The tantalizing aroma of Mary's cooking filled my nostrils as I reached the bottom of the stairs. She had set a breakfast buffet on the counter.

Lizzie, Tommy, Grace, and Anna were already stuffing their faces at the table. Lizzie gazed at my suitcases sadly, but continued to chew her food in silence.

"One more meal before you go?" Mary asked, smiling through her tears.

"I'd love that. Thank you, Mary."

I piled my plate with as much bacon, eggs, and grits as it would hold. I was really going to miss her cooking. She had taken over the orphanage when the owner, Ms. Nelly, had passed away. Mary had went from just being the cook to being our full time caretaker.

I took the empty seat next to Lizzie. She still continued eating as if I wasn't there. I nudged her gently until she finally looked at me.

"I'm going to come visit you, Liz." I insisted, taking a huge bite bacon.

"How do I know you're not lying?" She argued, pointing a piece of bacon at me. I almost laughed at her grown-up- like expression. She acted as if she were a mother scolding her child.

"What if I left Mr. Bear with you?" I negotiated. Her eyes widened at my response.

"But you love Mr. Bear!" She shrieked, slamming her fork down with a loud clang. The other children had stopped eating and were watching with interest.

"Of course I do but you want proof I'll come back. If I leave him with you then I'd have to come back right?" I winked, turning to pull the tattered teddy out of my luggage.

I'd recieved Mr. Bear on my second Christmas. Mary had bought him for me after discovering I was afraid of the dark. She had insisted he would keep me safe at night. She had been right. I'd spent many years of my childhood clinging to that bear.

The once plump brown teddy was now stained and weathered with age. He only had one eye left but I still treasured him. Although I no longer slept with him, he had stayed on my nightstand. I held the bear out to Lizze who hesitated before taking him carefully in her arms.

"I'll take really good care of him, Josie. I promise." She grinned, cradling him in her little arms.

"Could we take turns sleeping with him?" Grace piped up finishing off the last bit of her eggs. Tommy and Anna nodded in agreement.

"Sure. I know you'll all take great care of him for me. I'll get him on my next visit."

I finished off my breakfast. Mary and I cleared the table one last time together. The children all hugged me tightly, one by one. Once I'd said goodbye to each of them, Mary sent them to do their school work.

"Let me know what you find out, Josie. Lizzie mentioned you were thinking about crossing over?" Mary whispered, making sure the children couldnt hear.

"This amulet isn't from the human part of the world, Mary. I just know it."

"That doesn't mean you're supernatural, dear. You're not a werewolf or a vampire. You would've already showed signs years ago. I don't know about the rest of supernatural beings. They may not show signs but it's not worth the risk, love."

I had expected Mary to be concerned but she couldn't change my mind. Both my heart and mind were made up.

"I'll be careful, I promise," I smiled, hugging her tightly. When I walked out of the orphanage, the warmth of the sun welcomed me. I stuffed my belongings into the trunk of the little Camry I'd bought when I was seventeen out of my savings.

Mary had already taught me how to drive. I pulled the car onto the highway but couldnt help but look into the rearview mirror. The trees surrounding the small gray building looked as if they were waving goodbye. It felt strange leaving the only home I'd ever known.

Before I was completely convinced that crossing territories was the answer, I had one stop to make. I'd contacted a man name Edgar just a few weeks ago. He advertised online as an artifacts collector. He had claimed to have studied all things human and supernatural.

If he told me the amulet was supernatural, I would take it as a sign to risk crossing over. I didn't want to start my journey just for it to end at me dying at the border. The supernatural communities had placed an invisible seal between themselves and the humans. Crossing over as a human meant immediate death.

I followed my GPS to Edgar's tiny rundown shop that stood behind his home. It looked like a garage more than anything. I parked my car and slowly made my way to the shop. The door flung open before I even reached it. A tall, skinny, bald man peered out at me. Judging by how he was dressed, I assumed he was Edgar.

He looked somewhere between Indiana Jones and Dr. Emmett Brown from back to the future. His face broke into an excited grin.

"You must be Josie! I've been anticipating seeing you here. When you told me about your necklace I was deeply intrigued." He chattered motioning for me to come in. The shop was cluttered with various artifacts. Magnifying glasses decorated the only counter space left.

He pushed a box of strange looking stones aside and thrust his hand out for the amulet. I was nervous to hand it over. No one other than Mary or myself had handled the necklace since I'd received it. I carefully unclipped it and placed it in his hand.

"I've researched it for years but have came up with nothing. I was hoping you would know something about it." I explained watching him examine it. His eyes widened as he turned it over in his hands. His fingers brushing the strange looking tree inside the stone. It shimmered its usual mysterious silver-blue.

"Where did you get this, young lady?" He gasped studying me with disbelief.

"It was the only thing left with me when I was dropped off at the orphanage." I replied as my stomach began to knot with fear at his reaction to the amulet.

"I dont know why this was left with you but I would get rid of it." He suggested placing it on the counter out of his hands as if it burned him. He wiped his hands on his lab coat as if cleaning off something evil.

"Why?"

"Because that amulet belonged to the Dark Witch."