Chapter 9

My mother could be alive! The possibility hit me like a ton of bricks. I felt guilty as my hope for her well being grew. As evil as she may be I really wanted to meet her. So many emotions swept through me. I had too many questions and not enough answers.

First of all if Silus was the one who took me to the orphanage as a baby, why didn't he tell me? It seemed like everyone here was full of secrets. I was beginning to wonder who I could trust.

"Are you calling my coven liars?" Evelyn demanded, her voice growing louder. I recalled Silus saying that the same coven that locked my mother away was also the ones who destroyed her.

Evelyn was a part of the coven that did all of that? No wonder she despised me. Silus's response was muffled. I leaned closer to the door to try and hear the rest. I heard Amelia began to speak but a hand grabbed me roughly from behind before I could make out what she was saying.

I turned around in fear to see a handsome man glaring down at me. He looked to be in his early thirties. His sandy colored hair hung down to his shoulders. The man's dark blue eyes bore into mine angrily. He kept one hand on my forearm and used the other to fling open the office door.

Three sets of eyes focused on us as he dragged me inside slamming the door behind us. Evelyn gave me her usual scowl. Silus didn't really have much of a reaction.

"I found your dark princess eavesdropping." the man smirked, releasing my arm.

"Dimitri, you're late as always," Evelyn sneered not bothering to mask her distaste for him.

"I don't see Merrick or Olivia here either," he shrugged, taking a seat in one of the empty chairs.

"How much did you hear?" Silus asked, his eyes meeting mine. He ignored the rest of the group as they continued to shoot pointless comments at each other.

"More than I should, I guess," I replied, biting my lip nervously. I tried to hide the fact that my hands were shaking.

"I'm sure you have even more questions," he nodded, running his hands over his face in exhaustion. I could tell he didn't feel like answering any of them at the moment. I just nodded and glanced at the one they called Dimitri.

He was dressed almost as if he were going to battle. Instead of a medieval suit he wore a more modern black uniform. It hugged his skin showcasing his fit body. A variety of strange looking weapons hung at his side.

"This is Dimitri, Josie. He is the head over our young Vampires. You already know Amelia, head of fairies, and Evelyn, head of witches." Silus smiled as he rattled off introductions. Dimitri just smirked at me then turned his attention to Amelia.

"Hows my favorite little fairy?" He grinned, sending a wink her way. I watched as Amelia's face turned a very deep shade of pink. Instead of answering, she just rolled her eyes and giggled.

"Well, since you're here you might as well stay. This meeting is about you anyway." Silus sighed, grabbing his phone and dialing a number.

"Merrick, where are you?"

"You look a lot like your mother." Dimitri commented studying me.

"Did you know her?" I asked curiously. Could he be my father? I wondered. It seemed everyone had known Anna before she became the dark witch.

"We all went to this very school together." He replied gesturing toward Amelia, Evelyn, and Silus.

"Was you there when nature rejected her, professor Evelyn?" I asked. She seemed shocked for a moment that I had even spoken to her.

"Yes I was. I've still never seen anything like it." She admitted. This time her voice didn't hold its usually snippy tone. Her eyes grew distant as she reminisced.

"I had a dream about it when I took my nap earlier. That's why I came down here. I wanted to talk to the headmaster about it."

"Is this the first time you've had a dream like that?" Amelia asked, her eyebrows raised in interest.

"Its the first time I've had one that seemed like a memory. I've had others but there usually just me looking for my mother."

"Hmmmm...that's strange. Does the amulet happen to be near you when this happens?" Amelia asked. Silus hung up the phone and cocked his head curiously. I felt embarrassed as all of them focused their attention on me.

"Yes, mam. I always keep it on me or close to me." I admitted, feeling my cheeks growing hot. Evelyn and Amelia exchanged a strange glance toward one another. I wondered what they were thinking.

Before anyone else could speak the door swung open and two more people entered. One was a tall, extremely muscular man. He looked to be about the same age as Dimitri. His hair was so blonde it looked white. I was amazed at how unrealistically green his eyes were.

The other was a woman about medium height. Just looking at her gave me chills. She had to be one of the zombies they had spoke of before. You could clearly tell she was the walking dead. Her long black hair fell all the way to her waist. Her skin was the color of a corpse. The creepiest part was her eyes.

I couldn't tell what their original color had been. Now they were the palest shade of blue. It reminded me of an albinos eyes, but without the red. She moved slower than the normal person but not as slow as what I'd seen in movies.

"Sorry were late," she apologized. Her voice was just a decibel above a whisper.

"Its fine. Merrick, Olivia, I'd like for you to meet Josie." Silus answered. The two newcomers studied me. I tried to avoid Olivia's creepy lifeless eyes. They really freaked me out.

"We were going to do this in the morning but Amelia finished the potion early. If it's okay with you, Josie, I'd like for you to take the elixir that she gives you." Silus announced. I nodded but stayed silent. It was safe to assume that Merrick was the werewolf. He looked as if he could rip me in half.

He kept glancing at me in wonder. I assumed he probably knew my mother too. Amelia popped the cork out of a small glass bottle. A stream of purple smoke drifted from it, she placed it in my hand carefully.

I looked down at it skeptically. It didn't look like something you would drink. It sizzled and bubbled almost like acid. I turned the bottle up before I could chicken out. The warm, sweet liquid slid down my throat with ease. I was surprised at how good it tasted. Almost like strawberries with a hint of pineapple.

They all kept their eyes on me waiting for a change to happen. I didn't feel any different than I had before. I waited almost as if I was expecting something cosmic to take place.

"Did it work?" Merrick's deep voice filled the room after several moments of watching went by. I still felt just as I had when I'd walked into the room.

"I'm not seeing anythi-. Wait its changing! Hmmm that's odd...." Amelia muttered, leaning closer to examine me.

"What is it?" I gulped in fear. Had something went wrong?

"I see it too," Evelyn gasped. The rest of the group wore matching expressions of shock.

"What is it?" I repeated starting to panic.

"You're more than just a witch," Olivia breathed.

"You're part vampire," Silus filled in the blank.