chapter 20

Once I was back in my bed, I was aware of the amulet nestled underneath my pillow. Knowing it was there kept me from closing my eyes. I was too afraid of what I might see. Amelia's haunting revelation about more deaths to come terrified me.

How was I supposed to be a powerful weopon? How could I keep the people I cared about from dying? I could barely make out Chloe's silhouette curled up in her bed. She had taken forever to fall asleep. I'd already failed her and so many others. I just really didn't want anyone else to die.

Ian's soft snores floated up to my ears from the pallet of covers he'd made on the floor. I remembered what he said about not wanting to care. After tonight I could see why he thought that way.

Finally after an hour of tossing and turning I forced my eyes shut. Was my mother really here? If so where was she? Maybe she was one of the hooded figures Chloe had seen. I shuddered at the thought of my mother watching me from the trees. It didn't take long for my body to give itself over to sleep.

I looked out over the mystical lake. The moon was still high in the sky. I watched as fireflies danced their way across the tranquil water.

"Sweetheart?"

The voice behind me made my blood run cold. I turned to see the gorgeous being that was my mother making her way toward me. Her luscious brown hair was now cut just an inch or so above her shoulders. It swished perfectly with every step she took. She wore a long turqoise dress that displayed her perfect figure. She stopped just inches from me. Her large blue eyes studying my matching ones.

"What do you want?" I asked trying my best to sound unaffected by her presence. This was literally the first time I was meeting my mom. Ironically right after she had just killed my best friend's boyfriend.

"Hmm I see your father has given you a negative view of me." She sighed gazing out toward the water.

"He didn't have to." I snapped. I was more angry with the tears that were trying to escape my eyes at the moment than I was at her comment.

"I've tried to fight it, my beautiful girl. The darkness inside of me only strengthens by the day. I'll forever be seen as a villain." She almost sounded sad.

"Then why won't you stop it?"

"I can't. There's only one person who can. The only person I've ever truly loved....you."

I awoke in a pouring sweat. I sat up in bed searching for Ian. The only thing I found was a mound of pillows and blankets. The sunlight pouring in informed me I had slept past breakfast. Chloe was still snoring softly. I tiptoed to my closed being careful not to wake her.

I dressed quicky promising myself a shower later. I was too worried about checking on my dad. It was odd how right calling him that seemed.

The hallway was a crowd of chaos. Parents of dead students were coming in and out of their deceased children's dorms sobbing. Parents of some of the survivors were dragging their kids out. Probably taking them away from the school since it was about to become another war zone.

I fought my way through the crowd until I made it to my dads office. I waited until the last group of parents left before entering.

Judging by his exhausted expression I could tell he hadnt had any sleep.

"What happened last night?" I asked curiously as I sunk into the chair across from his desk.

"We did a head count and identified the victims. All the parents have showed up so far. Kai's parents have taken his body so they can have a proper burial ceremony. They also withdrew Kaitlin for the rest of the year. We couldn't find a trace of the trespassers."

"I spoke with her last night."

"Where?"

"Well in a dream but I believe it was really her visiting me. She said Im the only one who can stop her. I already knew that but I dont know how to stop her." I sighed in frustration.

"Nature probably gave you more power than youre even aware of."

Merrick burst in the door looking breathless. I assuned running in human form wasn't as efficient as wolf form.

"What's wrong?" Silus demanded rising to his feet immediately.

"Its the remaining wolves. They've been cursed." his unrealistically green eyes blazed with anger.

We followed him out to the werewolf wing. A chorus of howls could be heard from each room.

"They woke up like this and can't seem to be able to shift back!" Merrick explained opening the first door to reveal two gray wolves. They whimpered up at us helplessly.

"Go call Amelia and Evelyn, Merrick. Maybe one of them can undo it." Silus ordered leaning down to examine one of the wolves.

I looked down at them sympathetically. It had to have been frightening. First they watch their friends be killed and then wake up unable to control their own shift.

"Josie, go see if you can find Dimitri. Fill him in on whats going on," my father said as he stroked another wolf's fur. I obediently headed to the vampire wing.

Their dorms proved to be equally chaotic. Dimitri was standing in the middle of the hall trying to calm a pair of angry parents.

"This school promised our kids would be safe. Now youre saying that your sunlight cloaking spell has been tampered with? I think you're just doing that to keep my son here!" One angry mom was shouting followed by a chorus of agreeing parents.

"What's going on?" I asked the visibly frustrated vampire teacher.

"The sun is burning any vampire who tries to go outside. I'm guessing the sun cloaking spell was altered or something. Where's your father?" Dimitri groaned.

"He's dealing with the werewolves. They awoke in wolf form and can't shift back. He wants to see you." I explained. He let out an exasperated sigh and took off toward the werewolf wing. The parents continued to argue among themselves.

"Where's Dimitri?" Amelia asked as she appeared by my side in a flash.

"Headed to the werewolves. Their stuck in wolf form."

"I was just about to find your father. None of the fairies will wake up. It seems that they are under a heavy sleep spell." She informed me fearfully.