Chapter 25

The next morning I awoke in my bed. I couldnt help but wonder if last night had been a dream. Although it hadnt been, it still seemed too good to be true. I was Ian Black's girlfriend I thought to myself. I honestly felt like I was floating as I got up and got dressed. I could hear Chloe's shower running.

It made me happy to know she had gotten up to get ready. My dad had decided to resume classes today even though our numbers had decreased.

Surprisingly Ian had beat me to Dimitri's classroom. He winked at me as I sat beside him causing my cheeks to grow pink. There was only four other vampires left in this class. It was sad to see the empty desks of students who were no longer here.

Dimitri walked in last dressed in a deep red combat suit. This one had a more medieval look to it. He propped his crossbow on his desk before beginning.

"I know the past weeks have really sucked, guys. I dont want to be in class anymore than you do but were going to try to make the best of it. I want to talk about a darker subject today. In light of all that has happened I figure its appropriate."

"Does anyone know the types of demons?" He asked as he stared out at the six of us. Once he was sure no one knew he continued.

"Everyone knows Hades, of course. The mighty god of the underworld. Then we have your everyday demons who various in creepy forms. But there is one type of demon I want to teach you about today." He paused to rummage through a stack of papers on his desk. He passed a sheet of paper to the tattooed vampire guy who sat up front.

When the paper was passed to my desk it sent chills through me. It was a photograph of an eerie black figure. It was of normal stature but hovered above the ground. A black hood covered its face only revealing a set of angry red eyes. Its arms were hidden behind the sleeves of the black cloak it wore. I passed the picture to Ian quickly. I didnt even like having it on my desk.

"This is a Shadow Demon. They are lost souls that have no place in the underworld. Their sins are even too great for Hades to allow. He has a distaste for anyone who murders small children. This is what happens to those people."

"The reason I'm telling you all this is because they assisted the Dark Witch in her last attack on the school. Although they cannot cause physical harm they are still very dangerous. They feed off of fear. Once they latch onto you they use your worst fears to give them the proper feed."

I couldn't believe my mother would even consider using creatures like these. I secretly hoped I would never run into one of these creatures.

"The last type of demon is not very common but has surfaced on a few occasions. The demi-demon. They are part human/part demon. They are the result of Hades getting bored and fraternizing with human women."

I tried to continue paying attention but it was hard to focus. My mind kept going back to my mother. She was a part of these kind of dark creatures. She probably even had them under her command. An army created to destroy.

"I'd like to resume my combat sessions after hours today for anyone who wants to attend." He announced as the class came to an end.

"I've got to get to Evelyn's class but I'll see you at lunch," I planted a quick kiss on Ian's cheek before rushing to class.

When I walked in the classroom was completely empty. I slid into my usual desk and waited for Evelyn to make her dreaded appearance. I was still the only student present when she walked in.

"Where is everyone?" I asked.

"Some were killed at the bonfire and the rest were pulled from school by their parents. I guess it's just us," she scowled taking a seat at her desk.

"Oh okay," I replied nervously. The last thing I wanted was to be alone with her.

"So how are you?" She asked much to my surprise. Her expression had actually softened.

"I'm okay. I'm just still processing everything." I answered honestly.

"Believe it or not so am I," she sighed sitting back in her plump leather desk chair. This was the first time I'd seen her open up and not sound harsh.

"I think everyone is," I replied sadly.

"I heard your mother has visited you a few times."

"Yeah she's very confusing. One minute she acts as if she wants me to stop her then the next she's plotting executions."

"She was my best friend when we were in school. All of this evil isnt her. You remind me so much of how she used to be. When she wants you to stop her, that's really her. The rest of the times is when the darkness is in control."

It was odd thinking of my mother and Evelyn being best friends. I imagined Evelyn might have been different back then. My mother was probably the one who hardened her in the first place.

She went on to talking to me about diffrent spells in the textbook. Once the bell had rang, I made my way to the cafeteria. I spotted Ian right away sitting with Chloe in the corner. She was sitting in the spot where Kai had sat the night I'd started craving blood.

I fixed my plate and joined them. I was happy to see they were actually getting along. Although Chloe picked at her food I noticed she was taking a few bites here and there. I hungrily gobbled down my own hamburger.

"How was your class with Evelyn?" Ian asked before shoving a handful of fries into his mouth.

"It actually wasnt that bad. Apparently I'm the only first year witch left. We actually had a decent conversation about my mother."

"That's good. Why didn't you tell me you and Ian made it official?" Chloe asked the hurt was evident in her big blue eyes.

"I was going to I was just giving you time since you just lost Kai." I explained. She stood to her feet and grabbed her tray.

"What I need is everyone to stop treating me like I'm going to break." She snapped before stomping away. I watched her go with my mouth hanging open.

"I'm sorry I didnt mean to tell her before you did," Ian apologized.

"Its okay. Shes just lashing out because shes in pain. I'd probably be the same way." I sighed. I couldnt finish my burger. It suddenly wasnt very appetizing.

"Josie?"
I turned to see my father with a concerned look on his face.

"What is it?" I asked suddently alarmed.

"The lady from the orphanage called my office. She wants to speak to you. She says it's an emergency." He explained motioning for me to follow him.