Chapter 17

As eventful as the few short days I'd spent at Bennett had been, the next few weeks were oddly peaceful. Silus had made the fatherly effort to get to know me. Ian continued to ignore me. The only time I saw him was on the days when he decided to show up to Dimitri's class. Or when he was drug to the office by Evelyn.

Chloe stayed busy partying with the werewolves most nights. I was pretty sure she only went because she had a crush on Kai. Which she denies of course. I started the combat classes Dimitri had during after school hours. He had been pleasantly surprised how quick I had caught on in combat. With the help of my swift vampire reflexes and my witch powers I was intimidating.

Once the news that I was Silus's daughter and nature's weapon against an upcoming war had spread, students actually respected me. Students of every species had made the extra effort to talk to me or invite me to parties. All except Ian anyways. Ever since I had conjured the vision of his mom up at the lake that night, he kept his distance.

Instead of enjoying my newfound life I focused on preparing myself for what was coming.

"Do you ever do anything fun?" Dimitri grinned as he walked into the training room to find me sparring with the punching bag.

"I don't think nature gave me a heads up on impending doom for me to go have fun." I answered. I accidentally hit the bag with my full strength sending it flying across the room. It landed with a loud thud by his feet.

"Well lets do some one on one combat so you can give that poor punching bag a break." He laughed pulling his long hair back into a ponytail. Although he seemed like a jerk at times he had proven to be a good teacher.

Silus had told me that Dimitri had started training students right after my mother had attacked the school. He was a hard opponent to beat. Before I knew it he had flipped me onto the puke green training mat.

"No fair. I wasn't ready." I grumbled. The amused look in his eyes only added to my annoyance. He pulled me to my feet.

"Do you think your enemy is going to warn you before an attack?" he smirked.

I unleashed several blows to his chest and a good solid kick before he finally went down.

"Not bad. Now do it again but this time use your powers too." He instructed.

I gave him one good punch to the chest before unleashing a soccer ball sized fire ball his way. I had been learning to control all of the elements as part of the combat class. I had to admit the flaming ball was my favorite. He dodged it effortlessly. It hit the wall and fizzled out without a trace.

My frustrations only grew as he dodged everything I threw. I tried gust of winds to throw him off balance, a ball of water, more fire, and finally a sprout of vines in attempt to entangle him. Nothing seemed to work. Finally I was able to wrap the vines around his body enough to trap him. It was fun conjuring them up out of thin air.

"That was great. You're getting better." He praised as the vines retreated back to the floor and disappeared.

"Better isn't good enough. I have to be ready!" I snapped unintentionally directing my anger towards him.

"You'll be ready. I think you need to do something to relax. We've been going at this nonstop for weeks. You deserve little fun, you know."

"I dont know.."

"The werewolves are having another bon fire tonight that they think us teachers don't know about. Maybe you should go." He called over his shoulder as he left the room.

He proved to be right. As soon as I walked in my dorm I saw Chloe dolling herself up. She had put on a back corset dress and was doing her makeup. The bubbly expression on her face didn't match all the black she wore.

"Whoa, I see the fairy attitude but not the bright colors. What happened?" I laughed looking through my closet. I was ready to get out of my sweaty training clothes. Her cheeks turned a deep shade of pink as she continued caking on the eyeliner.

"Nothing I'm just going to another bonfire." She replied trying to look innocent.

"I was thinking I might actually go this time." I sighed. Id been so focused on the depressing darkness coming our way I hadn't really relaxed. I guessed taking Dimitri's advice might help.

"Really? Its about time. My mom sent me another outfit you can have. You should wear it tonight." She exclaimed practically running to her closet. She held a gorgeous red dress out to me. This one was less formal than the blue one she'd given me but just as breathtaking. It was more of a sundress style.

"Thanks. I'm going to take a shower then I'll be ready. Do you think Ian will be there?" I asked trying to sound casual.

"Probably. He goes just because its one of the few nights the fairies are drunk enough to let vampires feed on them." She laughed.

I forced myself to shower quickly. Once my hair was fixed and I was dressed I came out to leave with Chloe. The werewolves had their parties way out in the woods. Apparently not far enough since Dimitri knew about them.

"I guess I will tell you since you'll find out when we get there anyways. Kai and I are finally official." Chloe grinned as we made our way out of the building and into the night.

"Thats great, Chloe. I knew you like him."

"Just like I know you like Ian." She shot back playfully.

It didn't take long for Kai and Kaitlin to appear at our side. It seemed the twins really were attached at the hip. Kai and Chloe walked ahead as we made our way into the creepy woods behind the school. Kaitlin kept in step with me.

"I'm glad you finally came." Kaitlin smiled sweetly as the smell of the bonfire became stronger.

"Me too. Ive been training so much I figured it was time to have a little bit of fun."

Before she could answer we stepped out into the clearing. The field was surrounded by trees tall enough to mask the large bonfire blazing in the center of the clearing. Students of all species were scattered about drinking a strange shimmering silver substance from clear plastic cups.

I watched in wonder as a few of the guys shifted into wolf form right before my eyes. They wrestled playfully while the remainder werewolves cheered them on in human form.

The vampires stood in a clique all their own sipping the silvery substance by the bonfire. I recognized a few of them as first years from Dimitri's class. The rest seemed older.

The witches were all sitting in the grass playing around with diffrent element spells. I watched them laugh hysterically as the one I remembered as Emily set a nearby vampire's shirt on fire. The poor guy ripped it off before turning back to glare at them.

Kaitlin took off after a few of her friends leaving me standing alone. Chloe and Kai disappeared in the shadows of the trees. Probably going to make out. I glanced at the vampires and then the witches. As a hybrid I didn't feel like I quite belonged with either group. Before I could make my decision a voice surprised me from behind.

"I never thought I'd see you at one of these." I turned to see Ian downing a cup of the same strange liquid everyone else was drinking. His expression seemed happier than usual. He stepped closer to me. Almost too close.

"Are you ok?" I asked stepping back a few inches as he stumbled a little.

"Yeah don't I look okay?" He grinned flirtatiously. Okay something was seriously not right with him right now. Then I remembered Chloe's comment about the fairy blood. Well the mystery of the silvery concoction was solved. Before I could say anything else Ian kissed me.