chapter 23

"Did you know that's what it would take for me to defeat her?" I demanded. Amelia stared back at me in shock before slowly nodding her head.

"Is that why you said there would be more deaths?" I continued to question her. Again she nodded.

"Do you know who is going to die?" I asked finally my voice cracking with emotion. I had been questioning her ever since I had returned to my dorm room.

"No, sweetie. It doesnt work that way. I didnt tell you because I was hoping it wouldn't come to that." She murmured.

I suddently had an overwhelming need for my father. I found him leaned against his desk talking on his phone. He hung up when he saw me.

"Josie, what happened?" He asked. I flew into his arms taking him by surprise. He held me while I cried into his shoulder. He stroked my hair the way I had seen Amelia do to Chloe.

"Did you know what Amelia had seen?" I asked after I'd cried all the tears I could.

"Yes." He admitted. .

There was no way I could choose  between the people I loved. I would rather die myself than watch any of them suffer. He went behind his desk and pulled open a drawer.

"I've got two gifts here for you. It's not much but I hope you like them."

The first one was a piece of paper he slid toward me. I flipped it over to reveal a birth certificate. Josie Salvatore. I blinked back tears as I stared down at the name. I'd spend my whole life not having a last name.

"I took it upon myself to get your last name added to it," he smiled sliding a small box toward me. I opened it to reveal a beautiful silver pendant with the initials J.S. engraved on it. The tears I'd been fighting spilled over. I was completely speechless.

"May I?" He asked motioning to my neck. I turned and allowed him to clasp the necklace on me. He turned me around to face him.

"I got this for you to remind you of who you are. You're not the same girl that walked in this very office not long ago. The girl with no last name, no family, no clue about anything. You are not the daughter of the dark witch. You are Josie Salvatore, the daughter of Silus Salvatore, Headmaster of Bennett's school for the Young Supernatural."

I was full blown crying at this point. He pulled me into a hug. I noticed tears in his own eyes. I'd always wanted a family and I had finally found it here. I no longer needed my mother's approval. I had my father's and that was enough.

"Now go fix your face and get dressed, someone else has a surprise for you," he smiled.

Once the sun had hid itself away, there was a knock on my door. I had been unsure of what my surprise was so I had chosen to wear the blue dress Chloe had given me. I was thankful I had chosen wisely once I saw who was behind the door.

Ian Black was in a tux! The jet black tuxedo fit him perfectly. Just when I thought he couldn't be any more gorgeous! He pulled a small bouquet of white roses from behind his back.

"Those are so beautiful!" I squealed in surprise rushing to get them in some water. I glanced at Chloe as a filled up the jar. She still lay in her bed underneath a dark sleeping beauty spell. A wave of guilt swept over me as I carefully placed the flowers in water.

Kai would never get to bring Chloe flowers. That idea brought me to tears. I quickly blinked them away before meeting back up with Ian.

"Where are we going?" I asked as I followed him down the hallway.

"You'll see." He grinned.

I followed him down to the lake. I was blown away with what I saw. A small red blanket was spread out on the ground at the edge of the water. A glowing substance seemed to be sprinkled around the blanket illuminating it. The same substance hovered over it like small dust particles lighting up our surroundings. A picnic basket lay to the side.

"What is that?" I asked breathlessly pointing at the glowing particles. It was almost like he had pulled stars down from the sky.

"Fairy dust. You can thank Amelia for it later." He laughed.

"You can also think her for this idea. I'd like to take credit but I'm actually not this good." He added sitting Indian style on the blanket.

"Its the thought that matters," I laughed joining him on the blanket. He tossed me a bag of blood from the picnic basket.

"Its the best A positive you can buy," he joked as he took a long sip of his own. I couldn't help but laugh as I sucked down my own. I was starving.

We gazed out at the enchanting water in silence. I was pleasantly surprised that he had been willing to do something like this. When he had first met me he despised me.

"Could you do me a favor?" He asked quietly. I turned and looked into his big stormy eyes with interest.

"Could you play another memory of my mother?"

I nodded and leaned over the water. I silently willed it to obey. It didn't take long for a memory to materialize. It was of his mother chasing him down the side of the lake. She caught up with him and twirled his in the air. His adorable giggle echoed over the water.

"She was beautiful, Ian." I breathed as I watched her continue to play with him. She had a genuinely happy laugh. Her black hair was pinned up in a messy bun. Her eyes were a replica of Ian's with an added sparkle to them.

The solid walls Ian had built were crumbling. I watched tears stream down his cheeks as he watched until the memory faded away in the night air.

"Look, Josie, I know I'm not the best at-"

I didnt give him a chance to finish. My lips pressed against his firmly. He wrapped me in a strong embrace as we shifted into a laying position on the blanket. His lips tasted salty from his tears over his mother. I tried to forget the impending doom that we were about to face. All that mattered in that moment was him and I. Unfortunately, as usual, I couldnt catch a break. I heard a chilling voice call out from closeby.

"I hate to interrupt," my mother smiled wickedly.