chapter 13

The lake looked just like it had in my dream. Although its many years older, it was still the same. It was the most beautiful place I'd ever seen. The lake was calm and surreal. The moon and stars reflected off of the water beautifully.

The six witches that were lined up beside it turned to watch as Silus escorted me to the ceremony. The dress I wore sparkled even prettier than the stars above as we made our way to the water. Evelyn looked unhappy with my presence but stayed silent. She wasn't surprised to see me.

The six early grads watched curiously. They, too, were dressed formally for the occasion. Not to be vain but my dress would have won the contest if it had been one. I stood a few feet away from them since I wasn't actually participating.

"You look beautiful, Josie," Silus whispered as he stood beside me with his arms crossed. He looked handsome in the tux he was in as well.

"Thank you, headmaster." I smiled politely.

"Now that we're all here we can get started. When I call your name please step forward with your palms up." Evelyn instructed the six graduates. They were all still looking at me. Evelyn cleared her throat regaining their attention.

"Emily Edwards." She called. The tallest witch stepped forward. She was wearing a pretty burnt orange dress with a silver tiara. Her long blonde hair was pulled into an elegant bun. She obediently held her palms facing the sky.

I watched with fascination as the water began to stir. Nature came to life before my very eyes. The wind began to whip around the witch. Flames began to dance in the girl's palms. Unlike in my dream, her fire only grew brighter.

"It seems you're a fire witch." Evelyn nodded towards the girl. The flames disappeared and everything went still once again.  I watched as each witch was called one by one. It all happened exactly the same way each time.

The next two witches had also been chosen to posses the fire. The two after that were water. The last one was the coolest one to watch. A beautiful flower had bloomed in the palm of her hand representing the earth element.

Once the ceremony was finished, everyone turned to head back to their dorms. I turned to follow Silus. In the distance I could see a dark figure leaning against a tree just outside the vampire wing. I noticed whoever it was had just threw down a cigarette.

Was it Ian? I wondered. If so why would he be watching the ceremony? We were only a few feet away from the lake when the wind began to stir once more. Everyone stopped glancing back in confusion.

"What is going on?" Evelyn called out. Suddenly the water began to bubble loudly. Everyone returned to their previous positions to watch. Suddenly the wind began to whirl around me. For a moment, I almost felt as if I was suffocating.

"Josie?" I could hear Silus call my name with concern. My hands started burning and tingling. I raised them to my face to inspect what was happening. I gasped in shock as one of my palms held a small ball of fire with wind whipping around it. In my other palm bloomed a gorgeous rose. I watched as water began to fall onto the flower as if it was raining.

"How is this happening?" the witch named Emily asked Evelyn as everyone watched in disbelief.

"She must be using dark magic!" I heard Evelyn shriek.

"Evie, please!" Silus scoffed.

My arms tingled with power. Once everything returned to normal I still felt the power surging through my veins. Everyone watched me in silence.

"How is she in control of all of the elements?" One of the witches asked.

"I'm sure it's just some sort of trick," Evelyn snapped.

"Emily, go fetch Amelia," Silus ordered still studying me. She obediently ran towards the fairy wing. Evelyn practically had fire in her eyes at the mention of the fairy professor.

"Head back to your dorms, girls. Theres nothing more to see here." Silus ordered the five remaining witches. They all cast me one last confused look before disappearing to their dorm. I looked back toward the tree where I'd seen the the figure hid in the shadows. There was no longer anyone there.

The power I was feeling was indescribable. I had never felt this way before. I could feel every bit of nature. It basically seemed like it could bend at my will.

Amelia appeared within seconds it seemed. She smiled at me sweetly and pulled me to the edge of the lake. I watched as she knelt and stirred the water lightly with her fingertips. She rose to her feet and turned to me.

"Nature is preparing for war." She stated quietly.

"What do you mean, Amelia?" Evelyn demanded, not attempting to hide the fear in her voice.

"There is a darkness coming our way," she answered, her eyes flashing to me,  " and nature just equipped us with a powerful weapon."