chapter 14

***IAN***

Before I could stop myself I was at Josie's side in a flash. I caught her before she hit the ground. I was too caught up in her beauty to hear what Amelia had said to her that caused her to faint.

Everyone watched in shock as I scooped her in my arms. Her silky chestnut hair lay over my arm like a blanket. It caressed my skin causing a shot of electricity to bolt through my arm.

I shouldn't have came to watch the ceremony tonight. I tried to convince myself I wasn't going because of her. Deep down I knew that's exactly why I'd hid behind the tree. Like a coward. Me...Ian Black...

What was wrong with me? The very girl who's mother was responsible for my parents death was the very girl I was intrigued by. It was like an invisible magnet pulling me to her.

I'd watched from behind the tree as Silus had lead her to the ceremony. She had been the most beautiful creature I'd ever laid eyes on. Her dress, just a few shades darker than her eyes, only magnified her looks. She had straightened her usually wavy hair.

I couldn't tear my eyes away from her even when I know she had spotted me. Her flawless face had filled with a child-like wonder as she watched each witch step forward. To my surprise, nature had chosen her to. I couldn't believe my eyes when I had seen all four elements dancing in her hands.

The girl I had thought would be evil held all of nature's elements in her hands. It hadn't rejected her like it had the dark witch. I could've punched myself for casting such harsh judgment upon her. I had treated her exactly how the rest of the school treated me over my own parents.

Now Josie lay cradled in my arms. I took her to her room. Amelia and Silus followed closely behind. Evelyn had disappeared mumbling about checking on the other witches.

When I laid her in her bed she still didnt stir. Amelia sat beside her stroking her hair.

"Is that all you felt out there by the lake, Amelia?" Silus murmured. Luckily Josie's roommate wasnt in the room so he was free to discuss what had happened.

"Yes. The warning was very strong, Silus. She is the only one who can defeat her."

"So it is her....shes the darkness coming." He sighed. It didnt take long for me to realize who he was talking about.

The dark witch was coming and Josie was our only hope at stopping her. My mind drifted back to the attack when I was only three....

"Mama!" I cried as I tried to find my way through the fire. The smoke was so thick I was choking. I could hear screams as I stumbled through the hall of the vampire wing.

My little legs tripped over something laying on the floor. I landed on top of my mommy. She was sleeping in the middle of the floor. My chubby hands clutched her face.

"Wake up mommy!" I screamed. Someone grabbed me and pulled me off of my mom. I screamed as the witch spun me around in her arms. She lifted one hand. I cried in fear as I watched fire fly from her fingertips.

"No, Evelyn!" I heard a mans voice through the thick smoke.

"But,Silus, he is one of them!" The witch shrieked in protest. I could see the vampire man now as he grabbed the woman's arm.

"You're not killing an innocent child!" He snapped pulling me from her arms. He lead me through the smoke and out of the building. He ignored my sobbing protests as I screamed for my mom

"What were you doing outside, Ian?" Silus asked suspiciously as he sat on Chloe's empty bed.

"I needed a smoke," I shrugged. He rolled his eyes. Even though he wasn't pressing the issue I could tell he didn't believe me.

"I've never seen anything like tonight," he breathed eyeing Josie's still unconcious body.

"Me either. I wonder how she's going to feel about it. She may have to kill the mother she never got to meet." Amelia sighed, her big eyes brimming with tears. I'd never seen a fairy cry before.

"I don't know but all we can do is be here for her and help her through it. It sure has been an eventful past few days!" Silus sight rising to his feet.

"I'll stay here until she wakes up. You two go get rest. Classes start back tomorrow." Amelia ordered. I gave Josie one last lingering look before following Silus out.

"I never thought I'd see you come to anyones rescue," he grinned at me when we were out of earshot.

"I just figured you may not be able to carry her in your old age." I shot back as I escaped anymore confrontation by shutting the door of my room.

"I told you she was special," I heard him laugh as he walked away.