19. I officially become the fake husband

"A contract?" I glance at the paper in front of me and then back to Nayeon.

She nods. "There might be legal involvement. This paper will help us clear things up in case the need arise. It's for your own good. What if you get in trouble later? This will save you. It's a proof that what we are going to do is my idea. Read it carefully and sign the agreement in both copies."

I had already agreed to help her. I don't understand the need to agree again. I grab the pen and sign the paper, without reading it. I don't even read the expiry date on the foodstuff I buy. It's bothersome.

"You haven't even read it?" Nayeon frowns at me.

"Just tell me the summary."

"We will sign an authentic marriage certificate. My grandmother must be kept under the impression that you are a man. You're not allowed to do anything that might break that belief. But remember our relationship is fake. We will sign our divorce as soon as our goal is achieved. And during the days we are married, we live our lives in our own ways. But we are not allowed to date. That's too risky. And I will give you monthly allowance to compensate for the work hours you lose in Heaven."

"Okay," I agree. It sounds simple enough.

"You keep a copy." She takes a copy and slides the other towards me. "Get a haircut. Prepare yourself to meet my grandmother."

"When?"

"Today. Evening."

My heart begins to race and I utter unwillingly, "Okay."

* * *

I went to trim my hair shorter. Nayeon bought me a suit. And now I look like a snazzy man. Well, Chaeyoung told me that. Nayeon revised some lies with me so that we don't tell different stories to her grandmother or anybody that matters. We have to act like we are deeply in love with each other. I'm only supposed to answer questions I have been asked directly, otherwise Nayeon will take care of anything and everything. That's what she has promised me.

Nayeon and I sit by her grandmother's bedside. She is very happy to see me. She asks me a lot about myself and I answer them with no problem. The problematic part starts when we start discussing about the marriage. My palm is literally drenched in sweat. I can't be more glad that Nayeon will do the talking there and I will just sit here and nod my head when she asks me to.

"See, grandma, they are very reserved people. His family enjoys being low profile. They want a private wedding with no guests," Nayeon says.

"What are you saying?" Grandma looks shocked and annoyed. "You're the pride of our family. Your marriage should be extravagant like that of a princess!" Her eyes glint dangerously, as if she won't accept anything less than a royal wedding for Nayeon.

My heart might soon stop working from all these anxieties.

"No, grandma!" Nayeon complains. "They are very humble and modest people. They will -"

"Ridiculous!" Grandma cuts her off, and then turns to me. "Kyungwan, you bring your parents to me. I want to talk to them."

"They are busy." Nayeon declares. Grandma glares at her.

"They are kind of busy at the moment," I say weakly.

"Kids," grandma sighs. "No matter how busy they are, they will surely make time to attend their own child's wedding. They must be here when we finalize the wedding."

Grandma does have a point but who's gonna tell her that I can't involve my parents to help me pretend to be someone's husband?

"Grandma, Kyungwan's parents don't exactly want me to be their daughter-in-law. They even almost arranged his marriage with a girl from a humble and modest family like theirs. But we fell in love and we want to get married. If we make a big deal out of this wedding, we might not get their blessings. So grandma, please!" Nayeon wears a desperate face.