33. Our 1st day in the country

After driving for about three hours, I stop by a convenience store to rest and have something to eat.

Nayeon tries to hoard snacks and I have to keep my eyes more on her than on the snacks. It's difficult to stop her since she's pouting too much. I hold her hand to stop her from buying the whole store. I feel like I'm walking a naughty puppy who wants to run everywhere.

We buy cup noodles, chips and jellies for ourselves and a dog treat for Kookeu

We buy cup noodles, chips and jellies for ourselves and a dog treat for Kookeu. Chaeyoung gets herself a chicken flavoured cup noodles. I wanted to get myself one with mushroom but Nayeon couldn't decide between the beef and shrimp flavour, so we got one with beef flavour and another with shrimp flavour so that she can taste both.

After filling our stomachs, Chaeyoung takes the wheel and I ride in the backseat with Kookeu. We stop no more till we pull over in front of our grandparents' gate.

"Don't honk. Let's go surprise them," I tell Chaeyoung. And we promptly gets out of the car without unnecessary noise. We open the gate and set foot on the yard.

"Wow! Hanok style," Nayeon exclaims as soon as she sees the house.

"Yes. Hanok architecture and modern interior."

I grab her hand to lead her.

"Look, they have fish drying," Chaeyoung points out to the fish hanging from the front fascia and left for drying.

"Let's make some cat sounds. Come here," I pull them below the porch. I crouch down and they do the same.

"Meow," Chaeyoung pretends to be a cat.
"Meoow!"
"Meaow!"

After thirty seconds of mewing like a cat and getting no response, Chaeyoung goes, "MEAAOOW!" like an angry cat ready to fight.

"YOU ARE NOT EATING MY FISH!" Grandma barges out of the door with a meat mallet.

"HALMEONI!" Chaeyoung shouts springing up before grandma can decide to throw the mallet at us.

Grandma looks surprise for a second and then grins widely seeing our faces. "Omo, it's my little kitten and puppy."

We fly up the four steps of stairs straight into grandma's arms.

"Halmeoni, I missed you so much," Chaeyoung says.

"Omo! You cut your hair as short as Kyungwan. I missed you too, my kitten. I love you."

"I love you too."

"I love you, my puppy."

"I love you too, halmeoni," I reply. It's kind of a ritual. If I don't say it just because I feel embarrassed in front of Nayeon, there is a high chance that I will be hit with a mallet.

"Let me introduce my friend," I say, bringing grandma's attention to Nayeon who is standing awkwardly behind me. "This is Nayeon. And this is Kookeu"