26. My anger for Nayeon melts

"The bags under your eyes are huge," Chaeyoung says. She has brought us coffee. We are on break.

"I didn't sleep a wink."

"Why did you two fight, anyway? Is it because you were jealous?"

What? Jealous? Me?

"Why would I be jealous?" I say.

"Denial!" Chaeyoung teasingly speaks.

"That's stupid. If I admit, it's jealousy; if I deny, it's jealousy. What the hell am I supposed to do? I am telling you the truth; I was not jealous."

She laughs at me and confidently says, "See, we both spent most of our childhood in our grandparents' house and now we're living together. You have literally spent more time with me than our grandparents or even your own parents. My point is, I am the person who knows you the best. You can't fool me."

"I wasn't jealous."

"There's no need to get jealous. It was just a peck on the cheek. And we are like sisters," she says, ignoring my words.

"I wasn't jealous."

"I mean, it's not like she was flirting or kissing a stranger."

"I wasn't jealous!"

"You also kissed Adele unnie!"

"I didn't kiss her. She kissed me."

"Is that the lame arguement you gave to Nayeon unnie when you guys fought?"

Gosh! She is so damn annoying!

"We didn't fight because of any kiss or jealousy, okay?" I bark at her.

"Okay. Why did you fight, then?"

I stay quiet. Because I don't want to discuss on how stupid I was to sign a contract in which, basically, I agreed to be Nayeon's slave.

"I thought so," she says, interpreting my silence in her own way. She laughs; satisfied with herself. I roll my eyes.

I admit I was very annoyed at Chaeyoung and Nayeon. But I wasn't jealous... Was I? No, I was just pissed that I had a difficult time with Jaebeom and they had fun in the cinema. That's it.

* * *

Days has passed since my discovery of my stupidity. I haven't talked to Nayeon since then. She hasn't talked to me, too. I mean, we haven't exchanged even a word with each other. We go about our days like we usually do, except that we pretend as if we don't see each other.

For instance, we use the same bed to sleep but we have the biggest gap that we could physically create in the bed between us. It had become impossible to use the same blanket so now we use two separate blankets.

And she still kind of sees me off to work in the morning. Usually, she stands near me and tell me to have a good day when I put on my shoes and leave the house. But now she just watches me from far and not say a word. It makes me angrier that she isn't talking to me. It's her contract; she is the one in need of me, not the other way around. She should take the initiative to talk to me and try to convince me to keep the contract going. But she isn't doing it. I guess she has no regards for me and thinks that I'll come around and be her puppet again since I cannot terminate the contract.

"These tycoons have habit of bringing out a contract even at the littlest thing. They wanna keep you always under their terms," Jihyo once told me these wise words. I never thought those words would mean anything to me. Now they sting at my heart. Nayeon is a businesswoman, after all. And I am just one of her business tools to achieve greater power in her company. The more I think about it, the angrier I get and the more resentful I become towards Nayeon.