Chapter ➳9

((Colby's P.O.V))

"Mom, I'm heading out!" I called out as I walked towards the door, slipping on my shoes. Gage walked over, ruffling my hair a little. I sent a smile, and slipped on my second shoe. "About your friend, Sam," He began, catching my attention and making me look up at him.

"He's not what he seems like, Gage." I mumbled and let out an annoyed sigh. Why do people keep judging so easily? "I know, I know. But just.. be careful, okay?" He plead, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder. "I will, thank you, Gage." I hugged him, appreciating his concern.

But there's really nothing to be concerned about. Right?

He ruffled my hair one last time before walking off to get ready as well. I smiled lightly and slung my bag straps over my shoulders. I grabbed my beanie and slipped it on before walking out of the house.

I stuffed my hands into my pockets once the cool wind hit against my skin, sending shivers down my spine and causing goosebumps to pop up. I hate such weathers. I'd prefer staying inside with a warm cup of hot chocolate, sprinkled with colorful marshmallows, and wrapped up in my hands.

I went through the school day normally, being ignored by Corey and his friends as usual but also avoided by Sam. That bummed me out yet I didn't have the chance to see him until now. I opened up my locker and grabbed my gym clothes before changing into them and meeting the rest of the class in our indoor basketball court. Due to the cold weather, coach decided to just keep us inside.

Hearing familiar laughs erupt, I looked over at Corey and the rest as they laughed and joked around. Sometimes I wish I never met Sam. I would still have my friends, would be less depressing than usual and would actually have a real friendship with someone. All Sam does is scare me to oblivion and try to avoid me when I become too annoying for him to deal with.

I sighed sadly and looked down at my shoes. "Everyone huddle up!" The coach suddenly blew his whistle making me jump and head over quickly. We spent the session stretching our cramped and sore bones then playing a few rounds of basketball. I got to be with Jake so it wasn't all that bad.

-
I walk towards the football field, eyebrows furrowed and mind confused. Sam had told me some guys from the football team wanted to talk to me so that is my current destination. I was a little confused since he just came up all of a sudden. And the fact that the football jockies wanted to talk to me was also weird. A little scary too.

I made my way there nevertheless, pushing through the doors leading to the grass coated field. I rubbed my arms to warm myself up and spotted a few jocks far in the distance. I had a bad feeling about this. Saying they wanted to put me in the team would be a major overdo. I'm not even fit to run a mile. So what could it be?

"Y-You asked for me?" I asked quietly once I arrived near them. "We sure did." One of the jocks laughed and grabbed me before nudging me in front of the,. The rest snickered as they circled me, all but one. One of the jocks, who seemed to be the captain of the team had an intense glare laid on me making me even more scared.

"W-What's going on?" I whimpered but they kept nudging at me around. "Don't act like you don't know, midget." Micheal, the captain, growled and grabbed a fist full of my shirt, pulling me up a little. "You think it's funny spreading lies like that?" He spat, throwing me down on the ground harshly.

I yelped out a little and scrambled back. What are they talking about? What lies? "You think calling me names is funny?! Do I look like a fucking fag to you?! I'm no fag, but I will be the one who teaches you a lesson you won't fucking forget."

He lifted his clenched fist in anger and punched me in the face, making a seething pain sting at my eye and a painful throb pound in my head.

I let out a cry of pain when I was then kicked in the stomach, making me curl up for some sort of desperate protection. They kept hitting at my body and kicking at my legs that were soon to feel sore. Tears of pain streamed down my cheeks and my body throbbed at every piece of harm they sent at me.

My vision was blurry. My body was aching. But I managed to meet a pair of blue eyes, staring my way with not hint of emotion.

Sam.

This just shows how much life adores me.

830 words