Chapter ➳16

((Colby's P.O.V))

  Gage and I watch mom zoom around the kitchen, fixing this, fixing that, doing this, doing that. This is the first time we've made such a big dinner in a long time, especially for just four people.

I don't understand why we need to fix all this up for one person but I was glad mom was serious about this dinner. After Sam left, she had a little panic after remembering she hadn't invited Sam's parents.

But before she could force me to call I explained what had happened to Sam's family. I told her about how he lived with his abusive father after his mom left them. I teared up at the thought of it but pushed it aside and tried to think positively.

But to all our dismay, Sam will have to sneak out of the house to come here. I hate that he has to do all that just avoid a beating from his own father. It breaks my heart and I made that clear to him before he left.

"What's the dinner occasion for, anyways?" Gage questioned cluelessly and threw a lazy arm over my shoulder as he leaned onto me. "Mom want to meet my boyfriend.." I mumbled lowly but he didn't catch it. "What?"

"Mom wants to meet my boyfriend.." I raised my voice a little, looking away with a blush. "Boyfriend?!" He exclaimed, looking back at mom and then me. "You had a boyfriend and you didn't tell me!? How disappointing!" He scowled making me chuckle but start to question. His words sound a little too familiar.

"You heard, didn't you?" I sighed, scowling up at him. He chuckled and ruffled my hair with a nod. "I'm pretty sure the whole neighborhood heard, little bro. Besides, I wanted to hear it from you." He winked making me groan and push him away with a nudge.

Our little play session was soon interrupted by the sound of our on-gong door bell. I perked out of curiosity and staggered towards the door with a bright smile.

I flung the door open immediately and lunged at Sam with a little squeal. He looked so handsome!

Sam chuckled lightly and sent me a warm smile when I pulled away. "Hey," he grinned, showing off his perfectly whitened teeth. Which got me curious because he did used to smoke occasionally.

I pecked his lips with the same bright smile and let him slip passed, suddenly feeling nervous. Mom had already met Sam, and she seems to like him enough if she was dedicating her time to making all this food.

But Gage is another story. How would he feel knowing I was now dating the guy everyone warned me about, the guy he warned me about. But I guess my questions were soon to be answered when my brother walked into the hall, finally face to face with my boyfriend. Again.

The smile on Gage's face dropped and his eyes moved away from Sam's to meet mine. Sam noticed my uneasiness and discreetly slipped his hand into mine, pulling it behind us so it wasn't obvious.

"That's who you're dating?" Gage frowned, crossing his arms against his chest with a disappointed sigh. I sent him a deadly glare before looking up at Sam and smiling. I pulled him past Gage -who kept a tense glare on the both of us- and into the kitchen were mom stood, fixing around with her hair.

Sam chuckled when he noticed her stress and furrowed his brows lightly. "You look lovely, Mrs. Brock." He charmed, sending an apologetic grin when she jumped.

"Already working on first impressions, I see?" She raised a playful brow, chuckling lightly at the end. "Go, Go, I'll follow you two in a minute or so." She shooed us away.

I shrugged up at Sam and guided us into the dining room where Gage sat at, scrolling through his phone. "So. Steven, is it?" He suddenly spoke, slamming his phone on the wooden table and leaning back in his chair.

"Sam, his name is Sam." I scowled, but calmed down a little when Sam squeezed my hand. It still wasn't enough to settle my glare through.

Gage smirked at my annoyed scowl and threw his arm over the other chair. Before he could pester both Sam and I any further, mom scurried into the kitchen with dishes of food I could only wish to gobble down all at once.

But of course, table manners.

751 words