fourteen

for the first time in months, y/n brought jake into work with her. she steered away from bringing him as she would get distracted by his cuteness too often than she'd like to admit.

"i miss jae," jacob said as he coloured in pictures from his colouring book to occupy him. y/n looked over at him. the activity book was on the coffee table whilst all the crayons and pens scattered around him.

"well, you get to see him tonight baby, aren't you excited?" y/n asked despite knowing her son's thoughts. he had been excited since the night before, making him even more of a pain to deal with in the morning. thankfully, he had settled down and was no longer too energetic. jake let out a squeal of happiness with a clap of his hands, which made y/n laugh as she read through emails.

one of the emails was from another branch of the company, asking for details that needed to be retrieved. y/n sighed as she called for jimin to come and look after jacob. she knew that her son was a well behaved child but she needed him to be safe.

as y/n exited with her heels clicking, yoongi waited for the perfect moment to put his plan into action. he knocked on the door softly. "jimin, i think jungkook wanted to see you, he said it was something about not getting his coffee."

jimin rolled his eyes as he got up from his seat next to the toddler. "he can be so over dramatic sometimes." yoongi waited for jimin to have exited the floor completely before he sat down in his place.

he looked over at the drawings jacob was producing, uneven scribbles of colour. "hey, do you want some chocolate?" yoongi asked the little boy. jacob's fave immediately lit up and the mention of the food but then frowned when he remembered what his mum had said to him.

"mummy said no sweets in the morning," he remembered how stern she was with him and how upset he felt that he got scowled at. "no thanks," he beamed a sweet smile to yoongi regardless.

"it can be our secret," yoongi broke off a square of chocolate from the bar, which contained nuts, and handed it to jacob, who was absolutely clueless about what he was given, "i won't tell if you don't." jacob gave the older man a confused look before he put what he was given into his mouth.

"good boy," yoongi stoked the back of jacob's head with a smirk on his face. he got up and went through y/n's bag and took the epipen out, hiding it up his sleeve. no one suspected anything as he walked out and jimin walked in, thanking yoongi for the favour.

"no, thank you," he replied, which left jimin feeling disoriented but he payed no mind to it.

it took y/n a few more minutes to return with four thick files in her hand. she breathed a sigh of relief when she dropped the paperwork on her desk, getting the files was hard but transferring the data required a quieter water.

"mum-" jacob began wheezing out of nowhere, which caught y/n's and jimin's attention automatically.

in a matter of seconds, y/n was by her baby's side, taking in the sight of his swollen eyes and lip. allergic reaction. "jimin go into my bag and get the epipen out of it," y/n said in a panicked manner. it was her first time dealing with a sudden allergic reaction. she didn't even stop to think about how it occurred - why it happened.

"i-it's not here."

"what?!"

"they aren't in your bag," jimin began to feel like a failure as he couldn't find what y/n was asking for and for not realising that jacob was having a reaction sooner.

going out on a limb, y/n picked up jake in her arms and ran out of her office, jimin trailing behind her. she ran as  fast as her feet would allow her, the heels digging into her skin in uncomfortable ways, leaving her in agony she didn't register. ignoring the calls of jimin behind her, y/n flagged down the first taxi she could and rushed the driver to take her to the hospital. as if the driver could tell, they drove as quick as possible whilst abiding to the rules of the law. y/n gave them more than enough, hoping that the tip would make up for her panicked state.

as soon as she stepped into the hospital, she cried for a doctor to come and help jacob. thankfully, someone came to her aid and took him out of her arms carefully. all the words that the doctor spoke to her were blocked out by her own cries.

"y/n!"

zoned out, y/n was startled when she heard her name being called out, having her thoughts as her company for god know how long, she stood up after seeing that it was jaebum at the end of the corridor. the male took longer strides to get to y/n, once he was close enough he enveloped her in his arms, providing her with a sense of warmth.

"shush, it's okay, it's okay, jacob will be okay," jaebum whispered softly, he kissed the crown of her head as he felt her grip on him tightened. "i'm here now, i'll look after you both." his soft-hearted words formed more tears in y/n's eyes. they both stayed like that, y/n in jaebum's arms, something that only occurred in his dreams, for a few more minutes before they both sat back down. y/n rested her head against jaebum's shoulder and slowly drifted to sleep. her gesture made jaebum smile, he felt like he was eighteen again when she would sleep on him at any given moment.

his memory was interrupted by the constant buzzing of his phone in his pocket. jaebum was careful as he drew out the mobile device, trying not to wake y/n up.

real maknae
jimin just told me what happened

real maknae
i'm on my way

real maknae
is y/n okay?

grandfather
yeah she fell asleep on me

real maknae
i'm glad someone is there
with her right now

real maknae
take care of my best friend
or i will hurt you

a little chuckle fell from jaebum but before he could type a snarky message back, a doctor stood before him, holding a file in his hands.

"jacob is fine now," the doctor said calmly, "if he was brought in any later, he may have suffered a lot more."

"can we go see him?" jaebum asked.

the doctor nodded his head, he told him which room the toddler was occupying. jaebum decided to let y/n sleep some more. once he made sure her neck wasn't in an awkward position, jaebum went into jacob's room.

"jae!" jacob's mood immediately lifted when he saw the familiar face. jaebum smiled at him as sat down in the chair next to jacob's bed.

"hey my little man, how you feeling?"

jacob pointed to his throat, "hurts."

jaebum nuzzled the top of jacob's head with his hand, "you're really brave, you know that?" the smile that the child produced softened jaebum's heart even more, if that was even possible, it was worth more than gold to him.