twenty nine

it had been a while since mark had seen any of his friends. being busy with work was his excuse to not see any of them, however they all knew better than to believe his lame excuse. so it was odd when mark's assistant came knocking saying that jaebeom, of all people, had come to visit. at first, mark became panicked, the sudden visit was a surprise, but he wasn't sure if it was a good one. the tension raised as jaebeom stepped closer to the desk. neither of them spoke a word to each other, just mindlessly staring at each other.

jaebeom couldn't deal with the childish silent treatment he was receiving so he began to speak. "i'm going to ask her to marry me." carefully, he watched mark's facial expressions drop.

"you don't need my permission for that," mark said as he broke the intense eye contact only to drop his gaze onto his hands.

"i'm not asking for it," jaebeom stated, he already knew of his best friends feelings. "i'm telling you in advance so you can get over her, i shouldn't have to fight my brother for her."

mark nodded his head in agreement and understanding. jaebeom was right, he had to move on but mark didn't want to, he wanted any chance he could get. life was unfair and unjust, sadly mark could do nothing about his doomed love life, he was going to live his life wondering about all of the 'what if's that could have occurred.

to say she was nervous was an understatement, y/n was anxious as she walked out of the apartment building, leaving her kid's to be taken care by one of her friend's despite not wanting to. the sun was beginning to set, taking its heat along with it. her legs were bare in the dress, that met up to the bottom of her thighs, she wore. y/n was conscious of the dress flowing, she didn't want to risk anyone getting a glimpse of the scar trailing along her thigh.

when she walked out of the door, her sight landed on jaebeom almost like a natural instinct. y/n gave him a small smile as she walked to him, heels clicking against the ground. jaebeom was left feeling breathless. it was a simple outfit but it complimented the rest of y/n's beauty.

"wow." jaebeom uttered as he continued to drink in all of y/n's appearance. he let himself linger on her for a few seconds longer, he had missed the sight of her so much that he wondered if maybe he had gone insane. "you're beautiful." even then, y/n blushed at the compliment, her cheeks reddening under the makeup she had put on.

after the date, which was dinner at the restaurant that y/n had asked jaebeom to come to a whole year ago. they left early because y/n felt unsafe sat in the same place where everything began to ruin in her life. the two hadn't uttered a word to each other when they were sat in the car. guilt was slowly brewing in jaebeom's chest.

"i'm sorry," jaebeom apologised sincerely.

y/n remained silent for the whole journey back. her stare was kept to the moving outside the window, wanting nothing more than to see her kids. passing by the familiar busy road that the apartment complex stood on, y/n finally turned to face jaebeom.

"why aren't we going home?"

he flashed her a smile. before focusing on the road ahead of him. "we're taking a little detour quick." jaebeom had planned to take her back to his old house, that he used to live in when he was younger.

y/n decided to just let jaebeom be and sat quietly again. it took them a little while to get to the destination due to the traffic.

as they were pulling up into the drive, y/n recognised where they were. "this is your home," she said quietly, not quite understanding why she had been brought here, of all places. once the car had been parked in front of the large house, jaebeom opened the car door for y/n before lacing his hand with hers. he brought her up the steps that lead to the door, each step reminding her of the past.

inside the house, the interior hadn't changed much over the years, no one had lived in the house in years, it's only occupants being the cleaners who'd visit every so often. jaebeom led y/n up the stairs. the first room they entered was his bedroom.

y/n let out a small gasp. the room was still the same as her memory of it. "oh my god!" jaebeom's room had always contained the most warmth in the house. it felt like someone was actually living there. "you kept it the same!" y/n looked around the room, memories rushing in. one object caught her eye. the photo frame kept on the desk. she picked it up to get a better look, it was a photo of her, jaebeom and her little sister.

"this house deserves to have some more memories made in it," jaebeom had moved from leaning against the door to sitting on his bed. y/n joined him before deciding to lie down and stare up at the ceiling. "don't you think?" jaebeom enquired as he could feel the beat of his heart beginning to quicken, like the build up to a climax. "maybe our kids could create the happy memories that i never got."

y/n and jaebeom locked eyes after he utter his sad words. y/n knew how much pain jaebeom had been put through. she caressed the side of his face gently.

"what do you say," the whole atmosphere changed as jaebeom began to smirk, "we act like horny teenagers for the rest of the night?"

y/n let out a loud laugh as she slapped jaebeom's arm. "last time that happened, a baby appeared!"

"what's wrong with a few babies?" jaebeom asked as he moved himself to hover above y/n, his arms supporting his weight. she smiled up at him. "let's have a whole army!"

y/n doubled in laughter. she knew he isn't being serious from the stupid grin that adorned his face.

once her laughs had quietened down, jaebeom smile still beamed in the low lighting.

"marry me."