twenty one

"i heard her voice, mark, i know i did."

mark looked up at jaebum from his seat at his glass desk, reading glasses perched on the bridge of his nose. "you need sleep." the elder said before he returned his focus back to the report that was in front of him. ever since jaebum decided to take time off, it not only affected his business but his side business too, which was tied in with mark's. he was left to clear up the mess jaebum had left.

"i think you need to hire a nanny for jacob," mark said as his eyes skimmed with words before him, taking in brief information and not paying mind to jaebum's gaping mouth, shocked that mark would suggest such an idea.

the dark haired man was flabbergasted. "hell no, i can look after him just fine." he huffed like a child, thinking that mark was implying that he didn't take care of jacob well, he was trying his best in his defence. "plus, i don't think y/n would want that."

mark let out a sympathetic sigh, he took off his glasses and looked straight at jaebum. "there's a possibility she won't wake up-" before jaebum could shout in a fit of anger, the phone in his pocket began ringing. assuming it was y/n's mother, as she was looking after jacob for the day, he withdrew the mobile device and answered without checking the id of the caller.

"mr. lim?"

jaebum recognised the voice to be the one that belonged to the doctor that was assigned to y/n, the best one in the hospital. "yes, did something happen with y/n?"

"she's awake, she's asking for you."

a sweat broke out upon jaebum's forehead. he breathed heavily when he reached the hospital room, panting for air whilst holding onto door handle. for the first time in his life, jaebum was afraid about what was going to happen: would y/n remember him? would she even want to be with him? jaebum took a deep breath to calm himself down. he stepped into the room. the atmosphere was different, there was a positive shift.

and then he heard her sweet chuckle that matched her smile.

"jae!" her smile reached her ears, as if she hadn't been through a coma at all and had just woken up from a deep sleep.

"y/n.." the sight of her beautiful face brought jaebum to tears, "y/n!" he made quick strides to be by her side, as soon as possible, longing for her touch. "i missed you so much," he said as he held her face between his hands, drowning himself in her sparkling e/c eyes.

y/n blushed under his touch, her cheeks burning up. she turned away to look at the doctor that stood in the room, feeling slight embarrassment at the sudden pda. "i don't remember my husband being this affectionate, i'm sorry."

his blood ran cold. jaebum felt as if he had gone deaf. "husband?" he looked at the doctor with a confused face. did she think they were married, for what reason?

"maybe he was the one in a coma," y/n said with a giggle.

mr. yoon gave y/n a sympathetic smile before asking jaebum to step out with him. as soon as the door was shut, jaebum set off, feeling a heavy weight on his chest.

"do you wanna tell me what happened?"

"i can't be certain," the doctor began, reading from the notes he had taken on his clipboard when y/n had woken up. "i think that, to deal with the trauma, her brain has gotten rid of the most painful memories and replaced them with this alternative reality, in which you're both married."

jaebum let the information sink into his brain like a sponge, despite still not understanding. "so she replaced her bad memories with fake good ones?" he asked, trying to wrap his head around the idea.

mr. yoon nodded. "essentially yes, but there's a possibility that she will have her memories restored." with pressed lips and furrowed eyebrows, jaebum nodded his head regardless of the fact he was still lost.

jaebum texted y/n's mother about he current situation and what he knew. he was sat next to y/n on her bed, the surprisingly could fit them both, even though it was a bit of a tight squeeze.

"how did i get into this accident?" y/n asked suddenly, catching jaebum like a deer in headlights.

he gulped, dictating whether to tell her the truth or not. "you ran out into the street... and it was raining, really badly. y-you didn't see the car and.." she placed her hand over his, sensing his discomfort from his voice. y/n gave him a smile when their eyes met.

"thank you for being by my side."

the stiffness in jaebum dissipated within seconds of looking at y/n. "how could i leave you?" he gave the hand that held his a soft squeeze before kissing her forehead, that no longer adorned the bandage around it.

whilst jacob was in y/n's arms, jaebum was sat outside with the elder woman, sat side-by-side, not saying a word to each other.

"she thinks we're married." jaebum spoke as he gave y/n's mum the tea he had bought her.

she sighed before taking a sip from the beverage. "and that jake is our child," jaebum added on.

silence fell between the two of them. y/n's mother didn't have problem with jaebum, she was thankful for him.

"y/n knew you gave her that palm tree necklace, all those years ago, that's why she always wore it." ms. l/n began saying, her voice shaking slightly with her breath. she held jaebum's arm, earning his attention, she smiled at him. "go along with it."

"pretend that we're married? i can't-"

"i believe that the world wants you to be together. even if it feels like it's against you."

a/n
idk if that actually can happen but just roll with me