twenty two

y/n was in the hospital for another month, her ability to walk coming back to her slowly but surely. during the month, jaebum spent less time visiting, his presence decreasing as the days went by; jacob was quick to notice this, despite his age. y/n's current mindset scared jaebum. how could jaebum look after her? she was fragile like glass and he was a ticking time bomb, he thought.

jaebum kept himself busy at his workplace, his workers were glad to see that he was back, though none of them knew why he had originally left.

y/n l/n
how's work? don't work yourself
too hard, take breaks!

reading the notification, jaebum released a sigh before running a hand through his hair, that had been growing longer. he got up from his desk for the first time that whole day. it had been hours since he had gotten into the office. jaebum decided that it was enough for him, just wishing to go to sleep for five years. oh how nice it'd be. however, on the short walk to his car in the building's underground parking, he came up with other ideas.

in the jewellers, every pair of eyes were on him, no one being able to resist the aura that jaebum possessed. if he was to act the role of a husband, he was going to do it well. each ring that was suggested wasn't enough for him, price wasn't an issue for him, until one caught his eye, the silver ring glittered in the artificial lighting as jaebum held it between his fingers. not very far from him was a girl, slightly younger than him, she had come to buy herself a necklace yet he caught her eye. the stranger sneakily took a photo of jaebum buying the ring and putting on a matching silver band himself. she was quick to share it to her friends in the socialite circle.

"visiting hours are over now," the male nurse said with a polite tone and smile on his face as his head was poked around the door.

yugyeom pressed his lips together in annoyance, not realising that time had gone so quickly, before he turned his attention back to his best friend. "i'll come back tomorrow," he said as he gave y/n a hug, "with jake and jaebum."

"don't bring jae," y/n said quickly.

"why not?" yugyeom asked, shooting y/n a quizzical look, her rushed tone made him think that something had happened between them.

y/n frowned, causing her forehead to draw lines across it. "he's working a lot, i'm worried... i can't remember if he always worked this much but i feel like he's avoiding me."

"y/n," yugyeom began, "he loves you, don't doubt hyung, okay?" he gave her one last reassuring smile in efforts it'd cheer her up. the two exchanged one last goodbye before yugyeom had finally left.

y/n stared out of the window to the city below, wondering the real cause of her accident. all that she could remember was the rain and how hard it pelted against her, she thought she could remember a silhouette of a man standing in front of her but it hurt her head thinking about him. the night had settled already, letting the stars shine a little brighter. y/n sighed as she decided to go take a walk so that her thoughts would be on something else other than the man. there was a strain on her abdomen as she pulled herself up, the doctors said the pain would subside with time and effort.

making it to her door with slight difficulty, y/n clung to the iv drip for support, she wanted to do nothing more than to rip out the needle in her hand.

"y/n?" her name was called from down the hall loudly. y/n lifted her head up to see jaebum making his way up to her, as quick as possible in a worried manner. "why aren't you in your bed?" he took hold of her hand and let y/n put all of her weight onto him.

"i was just.. walking," y/n suddenly became quiet when she noticed jaebum clenching his jaw.

he helped her get back into bed, his touches being gentle despite the soured look on his face. "are you trying to open your stitches? you know you can't hold yourself up."

the pair didn't speak to each other when they had settled down. y/n kept her gaze lowered on the blanket covering her and fiddled with the pendant on the chain around her neck. she didn't know what to say back, not wanting to anger jaebum more.

"i'm sorry for raising my voice," jaebum apologised. y/n could hear the sincerity in his voice, her anxiousness dissipated at the warm touch of hand holding hers. "i want you home as quick as possible, without a scratch anywhere." the tense atmosphere vanished as if it never existed when jaebum gave his girlfriend a soft smile.

reaching into his pocket, jaebum pulled out the ring that he had bought an hour prior, in hopes of it posing as a 'wedding ring'. he slid the ring onto her thin fingers. jaebum could feel a slight pang in his heart but suppressed the ache at the sight of y/n beaming at the piece of silver.

"i was wondering why i wasn't wearing it," she exclaimed whilst admiring the pretty design of the ring. being the stoic man he was, jaebum was able to mask his emotions well.

"you left it by the bathroom sink," he lied, for once, jaebum had actually felt guilty for lying, "you must have taken it off."

with a giddy feeling, y/n moved closer to jaebum and rewarded him with a sweet kiss. "well, aren't you a nice husband?"