10. I Want To Be There For You

Dawn sat beside a hospital bed, containing an unconscious Serena. The girl had sat in silence, looking at the floor, she thought about what'd happened earlier that night..

"Serena!?" Dawn called again, as the girl was now unconscious in her arms. Ash froze in shock, noticing the blood stains in the back of her long sleeved shirt.

"A.. Ash.. call an ambulance!" Dawn yelled, as Ash snapped out of his trance and quickly raced for his phone. "Serena, serena please! Wake up!" Dawn sniffled, before taking her wrist to check her pulse, thankfully Serena had a pulse which meant she was definitely still alive.

Minutes passed until an ambulance finally arrived, but for the pair who were waiting with their unconscious and beaten friend, it felt like hours.

The ambulance finally arrived and took Serena, leaving Ash and Dawn in Dawn's home. The pair woke up Johanna and explained what they could of the situation and then woman got changed and drove the pair to the hospital.

Dawn's thoughts were interrupted as Ash entered the hospital room, holding two takeaway cups of coffee.

"Hey." He said softly, walking over to sit beside Dawn. "Hey." Dawn replied, sounding distressed. "I bought you coffee." Ash said, in an almost childish tone, hoping to lighten the mood. Dawn gave a smile, taking the cup, "Thanks Ash." She replied.

It was now 5:00am, nurses had busily been working with Serena, now she was asleep and in a stable condition.

Dawn peered down at the ground again, before letting out a sigh, "I should have done more.." She admitted. Ash shook his head, "No, Dawn don't do that to yourself.. you helped Serena, even if you don't believe you have." Ash admitted, speaking strongly. "You gave her an open door and when things became too much, she took it. If you didn't give her that opportunity, where would she be now?" Ash asked.

Dawn didn't really know how to answer, she did appreciate Ash's optimism and comfort. The girl laid her head on the boy's shoulder, as she sipped her coffee. Ash moved his arm so it was around Dawn. Ironically after drinking coffee, the pair fell asleep. It'd been a big and stressful night for them.

-

Serena's eyes slowly opened, and the first thing she could hear was the sound of hospital monitors. "I'm in.. a hospital?" The girl thought, before she looked around. Of course, the last thing she could remember, she had passed out in Dawn's arms.

Serena looked to her right, to see Ash and Dawn seated in the chairs beside the bed, asleep. Dawn was leaning on Ash's shoulder, and Ash had an arm gently placed around her. The pair had been drinking coffee from takeaway cups, which had fallen onto the hospital floor.

"Dawn.. Ash?" Serena blurted, not expecting them to have waited beside the bed for her to wake up. Dawn's eyes shot open, hearing her name. "Serena!" The girl boomed, almost jumping out of the seat in relief. Ash rubbed his eyes, sleepily.

Dawn held onto the rails of the bed, as she stood beside Serena. "How are you feeling?" Dawn asked softly. "I feel.. pretty sore.." Serena sweatdropped, trying to laugh nervously. "But.. I feel like I've done the right thing.. leaving.." She admitted. Dawn smiled, before she gently placed her hand on top of Serena's, "You're going to be safe now."

-

Gary just about burst through the elevator door as it slowly opened, before he raced over to the hospital room Serena was in. Dawn had sent him a text overnight saying Serena was in hospital and what the room number was.. and that was the first thing Gary saw on his phone when he woke up.

"Is Serena awake?! Can I see her!?" Gary asked, showing worry as he spoke to Ash and Dawn who'd just exited the hospital room, planning to get some breakfast. "Uh hi.." Ash sweatdropped, earning a nudge from Dawn. "She's awake, she'll be getting a final checkup shortly and should be allowed to leave." Dawn explained. "We're heading to the cafe downstairs to get some breakfast, I'm sure you can talk to her for a bit before the nurses come back." Dawn explained, as she and Ash stepped aside from the door. "Thanks Berlitz." The brunette responded, before he entered the hospital room.

Serena was looking out the window of her room, lost in her own thoughts. She jolted in shock when she realised the door had opened again suddenly. "Gary.." She said nervously, seeing the boy standing before her, looking teary eyed. "I'm so glad you're alive.." The boy admitted, walking to the side of the bed before he gently hugged Serena. The girl hugged Gary back, feeling guilty. "I'm sorry I worried you Gare.." She trailed off.

Gary let go after a moment and took a step back, "Your mum.. did she.. do this to you?!" He asked, struggling to get the words out of his mouth. He didn't want to imagine that Serena's mother was abusive, but Serena didn't live with anyone else. Serena sighed heavily, closing her eyes.

".. Yeah.." She finally answered, opening her eyes. "I'm so sorry I.. I had no idea this was happening.." Gary admitted, feeling guilty. Serena felt sympathetic to Gary, she didn't want her friends to feel this way. "Don't feel bad.. I was in disbelief about it too.. until last night.." She admitted. "Dawn noticed something was up at school and offered for me to stay at her house." Serena added.

"That's really kind of her.. you know if you needed, my mum would let you move in, in a heartbeat." Gary admitted. Serena smiled, "I know, and I'm grateful.. but Mum would almost know right away that I'm there. She knows nothing about Dawn.. she never cared to listen. I think i'll be safer here." Serena admitted.

Gary sat in the chair, beside the bed. "Your jacket is a bit fucked.. it might have some rips in it.. and likely some blood.." Serena sweatdropped. "Sorry." She then added. Gary chuckled, "Don't worry, I'm sure it looks more badass now." He grinned. "Kidding.. I should really get it dry cleaned." Gary laughed. "But that's the last of my issues.. I'm so glad that you're okay." The brunette smiled. Serena smiled back.

"So you'll be living at Dawn's house?" Gary asked. "Yeah.. I guess.. I'm hoping Dawn and her Mum can help me deal with the law side of things against my Mum." She explained. "I already feel.. so much safer being out of that house." Serena admitted. "And you deserve to feel safe, Sere." Gary admitted, standing up now as he walked over to the bed again.

"Serena, I want to be there for you as much as I can.. I'm here for you through thick and thin, and you can tell me anything!" Gary insisted. "Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help you." Gary said softly, causing the girl to tear up. "Thank you Gary.." She trailed off, looking away quickly as she didn't want to cry in front of him.

The brunette took a step forward and gently hugged the girl again, catching her by surprise. "I mean it.. You're my best friend, and I love you so much." He said softly. A tear rolled down Serena's cheek as she returned the hug, "I love you too." She said in almost a whisper.