13. Mother Knows Best

Dawn raced down the stairs, and into the kitchen. She quickly popped some bread into the toaster, before she raced back upstairs to go into the bathroom.

"Somebody is a bit eager." Johanna chuckled, watching her daughter stand in front of the bathroom mirror, to throw her hair into a high ponytail. "Today's the first competition of the year! I can't wait!" Dawn admitted.

Suddenly, after Dawn's booming voice was heard by Serena, the door to the spare bedroom flew open. "Oh my god I overslept!" The girl panicked, racing out of the bedroom and into the bathroom to brush her teeth.

"You're coming today?" Dawn asked, placing her hair brush down beside the sink. "Of course I am!" Serena insisted, sounding offended that Dawn even asked. "I just thought with everything going on.. you maybe needed a couple of days." Dawn replied. Serena shook her head, "I've been looking forward to this day - ever since I auditioned." She smiled. Dawn smiled back, before she exited the bathroom with Johanna. "I'll make you some breakfast then, sleepy head." She teased, before going down the stairs.

Serena blushed, embarrassed she'd overslept. She brushed her hair and teeth before she went back into her room to get changed into her cheer outfit.

Dawn went back into the kitchen, delighted to see the toast was ready. She took them from the toaster and placed them on two plates, before she began to butter them with a knife.

"Did you talk to Serena about taking legal action?" Dawn asked her mother, who was now seated on the couch. "I have, we're going to go to the police tomorrow." Johanna smiled. Dawn smiled, swallowing her mouthful of toast before she replied with, "That's really great."

Serena raced down the stairs and into the kitchen, where Dawn offered her a plate with two slices of toast. "Thanks Dawn." Serena chimed, taking it.

"I won't be able to come and watch you girls today.." Johanna admitted sadly. "Fantina is moving in today so I'm going to go and get her from the airport. Her kids will be moving in with us too in a couple of months, but they're finishing the semester of school and staying with their Dad until then." Johanna explained. "That's fine Mum - I can't wait to see her again." Dawn admitted, with a smile.

"Thanks for breakfast." Serena chimed, before placing her empty plate in the kitchen sink. "Anytime lovely, now we have to go really soon. I can help you with your makeup on the bus." Dawn offered. "That would be nice, thank you." Serena smiled, before she went upstairs to the spare bedroom, to grab her duffle bag.

-

Dawn parked her car at the front of the school. Serena and Dawn quickly exited the car and headed to the back of the school, where a bus was waiting for them.

"Wow we're actually a little early." Dawn laughed, in surprise. "Yeah we really are." Serena sweatdropped, as they had fifteen minutes to spare.

The door to the bus was open, and in the driver seat sat an older man, assumably the bus driver. He was busily on the phone. Dawn entered the bus and gave the man a wave and a smile before she continued to walk on down the aisle. Serena awkwardly gave him a smile before she followed Dawn.

The blue haired girl sat in one of the seats by the window and placed her belongings down in the storage pocket, which was on the back of the bus seat that was in front of her. "Alright, you sit here and I can do your makeup, at least the lighting is good from here." Dawn declared. Serena took a seat beside Dawn, before looking down at her arms, at all of the bruises she had. The girl then gently ran her fingers over her collarbone and neck, to feel more bruises. "I hope you have a lot of concealer." The blonde sweatdropped. Dawn pulled a makeup pouch out of her duffle bag, "Doll, I got you." She insisted.