21. Back To School

Six months later

"Cmon Dawn, we're gonna be late!" Serena called, dashing down the stairs to the kitchen, where she packed her backpack. "I'm coming!!" Dawn chimed, as she was finishing curling her hair. It was the first day of school, as they'd been on two weeks of break, and they were going to be late... typical.

Dawn finally got to the front door and grabbed her car keys, before herself and Serena went to exit the house. "Goodbye Mums!" They called out, before they closed the door.

The pair rushed over to Dawn's car, the blunette sliding into the driver seat as Serena got into the passenger seat. Serena fiddled with the radio as Dawn started the car and drove.

"Drag me down" by One direction played, causing Serena to roll her eyes. The girl went to change the radio station but instead stopped as Dawn gave her a look. "I love this song." The captain said innocently. "Fine." Serena laughed, deciding to keep the song playing.

Serena looked out the window, thinking about how the past few months had been. They'd been interesting to say the least..

Misty hadn't returned to school, and no one knew where she'd been.. except for Paul, Serena assumed. Likewise, Calem hadn't returned to school either, still being missing. The case was handed over to police but they hadn't found anything.

The vixens had been kicking ass in their competitions, earning a lot of trophies.. To say Dawn was proud would be an understatement. The new members were chosen for the bulldogs football team, but with Brendan being quite absent, Ash was elected as the captain of the team until his return.

Dawn parked her car, as they had arrived at school. The pair got out of the vehicle and walked towards the school gates. "Hey we're actually on time.." Dawn admitted. They passed a familiar group of people wearing leather jackets and reeking of tobacco.. but things were different now. With Misty gone, Ursula took over the role of gang leader, and the group were different. The serpents began to mix in with the other students in the school, being friendlier than students had expected, as whilst Misty was in charge, the group kept to themselves.

Ursula gave Dawn and Serena a quick wave as they walked past, to which the pair smiled back in response, before Dawn flicked her long curls over her shoulder. That's right, the trio were friendly now. Ursula had warmed to the girls and the rest of the cheerleaders.. honestly she'd been a much nicer person without Misty's influence.

"For someone who stole your man.. she sure is nice to you." Serena sweatdropped. That's correct, Ash and Ursula had been dating again, though unclear if they were still together presently, they were awfully close. Dawn bit her lip at the boy Serena was clearly referring to.

"Dawn! Please, talk to me. Why have you been avoiding me?" Ash asked, walking down the almost empty corridor, going after the cheer captain he'd been crushing on for weeks now.

Dawn clenched her eyes shut, before she turned around to snap, "Because.. Ash, I have realised that I've been nothing more than a rebound to you.. someone to fill the void until you could find your way back into Ursula's heart again. I am done with these games." She had said.

Ash blinked in surprise, "Dawn..." He trailed off, as everything made sense. She must have seen the boy locking lips with his ex at the carnival. "It wasn't what it looked like!" The raven haired boy called out, but Dawn just continued to walk, clearly trying to go somewhere. "Please.. just stay away from me.." The cheerleader asked.

Things hadn't been the same between Ash and Dawn since that night of the carnival. The girl didn't want to feel that vulnerable again. Ironically, even though Dawn was the one Ash had feelings for, he eventually did go back to Ursula.

"Where's your man?" Dawn piped up, trying to change the conversation. "Uh.. I actually don't know.. he wasn't hanging out with the serpents." Serena admitted, blushing lightly. The night of the carnival had gone a lot differently for Serena. Not long after that night, Serena and Gary began dating, and six months later they were still together and happy.

"It's our six month anniversary today!" Serena boomed happily. Dawn couldn't help but smile, feeling happy for her best friend. Over the past few months, with her relationship with Gary blooming, not to mention her mother being dealt with, she had never felt so happy.

Iris, Hilda and May approached the duo, Hilda hugging the girls tightly. "I missed you both so much!!" The brunette insisted. "Hilda, let them breathe.." May sweatdropped, as the pair we're having the life squeezed out of them. "Eep sorry!" Hilda said, before she let go of the cheerleaders.

The pair of friends had been through a lot this year.. with Dawn helping Serena get away from an abusive living situation, to seeing her crush happily wrapped up in the arms of his ex.. she had felt quite drained. May had been through so much, with losing Drew over their unborn child. May also had to make a huge decision, life changing one... deciding whether to go through with this and have their child, or get it terminated.

Truthfully, part of her had been looking forward to seeing a small version of her and Drew running around in the world.. but she knew she wasn't ready to have a child. She had a huge year with it being her final year of high school, and she wanted to get somewhere with her cheerleading. As much as it hurt, she wasn't ready to put her dreams on hold, and so with the support of her best friends, she had it aborted.

The decision broke her heart, but she felt like she wasn't fit to be a mother, not yet, she thought it was so unfair to raise a child when she still wanted to focus on her own goals and passions. She knew one day she'd have a baby, but that wasn't going to be anytime soon. After the termination, May had been inconsolable.

The bell rung, signalling that everyone had to leave for class. Dawn, May and Iris went one way, leaving Hilda and Serena. "Well I guess we should head to class." The blonde said to the brunette, who was looking over Serena's shoulder. "Not yet." Hilda said, with a grin.

Curious to what Hilda was grinning at, Serena turned around to see Gary walking over to the pair, with a bouquet of roses. Serena blushed lightly, as she looked at her boyfriend with a loving smile. Gary blushed lightly as well, as he stopped in front of Serena.

"Happy six months, babe!"