Chapter 1 | James Nicholls

Year 1914, England

Someday, I think, someday my Prince will come for me. Perhaps today, or the next, but he will come on a white horse and he'll sweep me off my feet and I will fall madly in love with him.

That's what would happen, if I could turn my life into a fairytale. This world is far too real for surreal things that like to happen. But oh! the joy of imagination.

My feet soak in the sunlight that consumes the thick green grass, a rigid tan-line forming where I have pulled my dress above my ankles. A deep breath of the pure summer air sets my mind again astray as I stare up into the endless sky of magical clouds that float above the earth. My head sinks into the grass as I try to inhale as much of the peaceful scent as I can, my hands making a makeshift pillow below my thinking brain.

This is where I dream my days away. Up the hill through the bustling pasture of black and white sheep and the single chestnut horse, all surrounded by an old stone fence covered in green moss that stands barely three feet high. The hill that overlooks my father's quaint, yet very enchanting and beautiful farm cottage built from fine stone with a shining yellow door. A busy chimney sets the house off as a perfect picture; smoke always billowing from its surface from my mother's delightful cooking.

And perfect it is. Nothing is wrong. Nothing is hard, or rough, or troubling, or sorrowful. I love my family.

But does this mean I don't want one of my own?

Of course not.

This is a perfect picture I wouldn't want painted without me, but spending my days up the hill with sheep and the sky as my witness; it gets tiresome. I'm 19 years old. I live with my mother and my father. And I love them both.

But, one can only feel free amongst one's parents for so long. And I am beginning to think that my parents in particular are trying to keep me...contained. They don't want to let go of me, but if I had the chance to be let gone, I would take it in a heartbeat.

A continuous clicking, as if someone were calling to an animal, sounds over the hill, and I quickly lift myself from the ground. Pulling strands of grass from my golden hair as I stand, I ruffle out my dress and begin the descent down the slope.

I notice a man, a tall, lean man, but with elegant posture and a strong build. He calls to a horse, a strong black stallion, who has strutted off with my mare; prancing around with a high-stiffed tail like a love-struck colt.

"Come on, Hercs, you love-struck boy," he clucks humorously, "Leave that poor mare alone!"

I finger comb my hair before striding through the field towards the man, and the nearer I get the more awed I become.
His features are flawless. Golden hair, similar to mine, strong, sharp cheekbones, and dazzling blue eyes. Thin, yet tempting lips, and a gentlemanly stance. I think I shall put an impression on him.

"You know, that "poor mare" could use a beau," I chuckle, loudly enough to get his attention, "She's nearly half a century old and hasn't found a good stallion she prefers."

He snaps his head my way, and smiles at my words. "To say the least, he's had one too many!"

"Don't let old Gail hear that," I shush him with my finger, "She's got soft feelings."

"I'm sorry, Gail," he mouth-whispers, and walks right up to me, extending a hand,

"I'm James, by the way. James Nicholls."

Hmm. James Nicholls. What a nice name.

"I'm Katherine," I smile as I grasp his welcoming hand, "Nice to meet you, James Nicholls."

"Nice to meet you, Katherine," he smiles warmly. Then he looks back over his shoulder. "I'm so sorry about my horse. I was riding him across your pasture and-"

"There's no need to apologize," I reassure him, and he nods in thanks, "Just as long as I don't have to worry about "baby horses" any time soon."

He lets out a loud, abruptly short laugh whilst shoving his hands into his pockets. "I don't think you'll have to worry about that. He's a gelding."

"Then he can stay, for now, if you like," I slyly suggest, "Unless you have someplace you need to be, of course."

"Actually, I do," he suddenly remembers, pulling his hands from his pockets and turning to stride towards his gelding, "But thank you, Katherine."

I grin, smiling at his attempts to catch the horse. But when he finally does, he mounts with grace and experience, and waves as he gallops off, back over the hill.

Hmm. What a charming man.

--

Well there you have it: the very first chapter to my very first fanfic. So I'm really excited to be sharing this with you guys, and I hope you enjoy reading it! It took me a while to write (granted, it wasn't too long), but it's finished, and the only thing to be done now is for you guys to read it!

Comment if you want, no pressure, but I'd honestly love to hear what you think! Same goes for votes if you really enjoyed it! Thanks guys, and I can't wait to see how this adventure will end.

- 〽️iddleAsgard, at your service.