Chapter 13 | Joey

"I'm going to miss you, old boy," James smiles sadly as he gives a last farewell pat to Hercules, "You be good for Katherine, and mind your manners with Gail, alright? Don't try anything silly while I'm gone."

With last gentle strokes to his black stead's coat; along his shoulders, across his back, and over his rump, James reluctantly steps away from the horse, and turns to find my gaze.

A mingle of sadness and excitement swims through his eyes as he stares down at me, the officer's cap on his head throwing shadows across his face. He reaches up with gloved hands to remove the hat, and the shadows disappear, revealing his natural smooth cheeks and glimmering blue eyes.

"I'm going to miss you, too," he smiles half-heartedly, chuckling with edginess.
I force a smile, and I can only wonder how fake it looks. My eyes brim with restrained tears, my cheeks and ears burning red from the cries that racked my body all morning long.

All morning long James had sat at my side, caressing my back and lulling my cries. He watched every tear roll down my wet cheeks. But now, I had to hold them in for him.

A raspy engine rumbles over the road towards our house, and it's immediately obvious to us both who might be driving that car. The army, no doubt. Here to take James away from me.

"James, stay," I whisper, suddenly desperate as I cling to his uniform, "You don't have to go, please, just stay."

"Darling, you know I can't stay," he strokes my cheek sorrowfully, "You have to let me go."

"But James-"

The loud car comes abruptly up the hill, completely cutting me off with its roaring engines as it parks in front of the house.
Once the car has come to a complete halt, the driver hops out of the vehicle and scrambles to the back doors.

A tall man with a small mustache and a uniform steps out, and I recognize him immediately as Captain Jamie.

"Captain Nicholls," he greets loudly as he approaches us, "I'm glad to see you on the move."

"Always, Jamie," James weakly smiles.

"Our regiments have been rallied and they wait further instruction. We move to Devon, and hopefully we can move out quickly from there."

"Certainly, Jamie," James nods, and as he does Jamie seems to just notice me.

"Good morning, Katherine," he nods politely.

I smile in return, unable to find the right words in reply.

"You definitely are a lucky man, James," Jamie's gaze doesn't leave me as he compliments, "It's a sorry thing to have to leave her behind. I'll give you a moment, but Captain, time is of the essence."

Jamie steps back into the slick convertible, leaving James and I alone.

"James..." I begin, but the words are swept away before I can speak them, and the tears break out and roll down my cheeks.

"Oh Katherine," he says apologetically, opening an embrace to me, "Please don't cry."

I dive into his arms, burying my tear-stained face deep in his chest. "I can't help it."

"Don't force me to leave you in tears, love. I want to see you smile."

"Stay with me James," I grasp his chest desperately, my tears soaking his shirt, "Stay with me."

"You've got to be strong, Katherine," he tells me, "I know you are. I'm coming back for you, don't forget that. We'll be together again, and everything will be perfect."