Chapter 14 | Dear Katherine

| james p.o.v. |

Pulling the strap of the blue cap away from under my chin, I place the hat on the corner of my desk chair as I sit. Once seated, I dip a quill pen into its pool of black ink, sliding a piece of paper before me. Swiftly, I write:

My Darling Katherine,

If it was at all possible to put into words how much I miss you, I would. Nights are colder without you lying by my side, and even the sunlight of a fresh morning is turned dull without your precious smile. I miss you, love.

I wish I could find more time to write you, and I do hope you'll forgive me for the lateness of this letter.

The men here are strong, and I've grown very close with each and every one. Jamie has grown much more firm, now with his new duty of Captain, and I can't say I blame him. Being Captain is an honor, but it also has its tolls.

In a Devon town, I purchased myself a magnificent bay stallion, with four white socks and a star on his forehead. He's a wonderful horse, although incomparable to Hercules. Today we ran a full practice charge; Joey beat them all. That's his name. Joey. Jamie has his own wonderful horse named Topthorn. He and Joey have grown to be quite good friends.

He really is a marvelous horse; I bought him from a young lad named Albert. His father sold the horse to me in desperate need of money, but without telling the boy. I felt sorry for him, taking Joey away from him like that. Albert raised him well, a fine horse Joey has turned out to be. I wish you could see him, Katherine. You would love him.

Another fine man is Trooper Warren, Charlie Warren. He's quite talkative, and spends unreasonable time fancying over his silk-lined cap. But he's a good chap, and a good friend. I count myself among the lucky to have such friends as I do.

Of course, I can't forget Corporal Perkins, who would be quite hard to forget. He's a tough man, and we're lucky he's on our side. He can be rough with the horses, but I think in the end he only means well.

We leave for France in the morning, and it is a tremendously strange feeling to know I will be so far away from you. We are going to be going aboard large barges, and I can honestly say it will be quite an experience. I've never been on the seas before, and I only wish I could share this new experience with you.

But, once added up, nothing here can replace my love for you. As lucky as I am to have such wonderful friends at my sides, all the luck in the world means nothing to me without you. I miss you, Katherine, and the day we see each other again will be the happiest day of my life. I love you, more than anything in the world. Don't forget my love for you, and no matter what happens, never stop smiling. Never stop dreaming. And most importantly, never stop living the beautiful life you have. I love you.

With All My Love,

James

"Sketching again, are you?" a familiarly firm, yet soft voice asks.

"No," I shake my head, looking up to meet Jamie's hard gaze, "I'm writing Katherine."

"Ah," he nods, "While you can, James. Once we're over there, it may get hard to keep in touch."

"I know," I look back down to the letter, quickly scribbling a P.S. "Have we had any word on the Germans?"

"Not much, Captain, not much. But enough to know they're sitting ducks out there. A full calvary charge is being conducted, hopefully we'll be able to act within the week, if all goes as planned."

"And what exactly is that suppose to mean?"

"It means that once we have been cleared, we are going to give the Germans a hell that they won't easily forget."

"Well then, let's hope all goes as planned," I grimly remark, sealing Katherine's letter in a dusty envelope.

Jamie nods, his gaze landing out the window in wonderment, then converts back to me. "A man named ?-?-?-? will be meeting with us tomorrow morning. He has plans for the attack."

"Do you think it's a victorious attack we're driving ourselves into?" I ask.

"I don't think, James. I act. They're completely defenseless and are unaware of our movements. If I were to think anything, it would be of the other side."

"Let's hope we make it there."

--

A/N:

I'm sorry it's so short. Please forgive me.

Wow. Like...wow. I'm almost at 1k reads thanks to all you lovely readers! You're all amazing so here's a virtual hug for everyone *gives ginormous virtual hug* Thanks again, lovelies.

So switch up! I won't be updating until this chapter gets 8 votes...I know you guys can do it so vote, vote, vote! Once this chapter hits 8 you'll get a lovely update.

- 〽️iddleAsgard, at your service.