Chapter 11 | Captain Nicholls

The sheets rustle over me as a warm hand runs gently over my back, and smooth lips come down to kiss my cheek.

"Forgive me, love," an elegant voice whispers, "I won't be long."

But in my unconscious state of mind, the words merely become part of a dream and fade away.

•••

Warm light burns my back, and my sleepy eyes flutter open. The curtains ruffle in the cool breeze that blows in through the open window, refreshing my tired face and awakening my senses. I move my arm to run a hand across James' back, but it falls against empty sheets, no longer warm.

"Damn it, Jame Nicholls," I curse inwardly. Married two days and he's already off and leaving this early in the morning. Without telling me.

Or perhaps he did... Soft words and a gentle kiss linger in my mind, and I have a feeling he spoke with me today.

"Forgive me, love. I won't be long."

With his early words fresh in my mind, our conversation from last night pops into my head.

"There's something I've been meaning to talk to you about, Katherine," James informs reluctantly.

"What, James?" I nervously smile.

"I've been thinking about enlisting," he says after much thought, "A good friend of mine, Jamie Stewart, enlisted a few weeks back. He's gone up the ranks very quickly and has been badged Captain of the tenth battalion. He mention myself to his fellow officers...They would love to have me."

I dryly laugh, "And so would I! James, don't you dare sign up!"

"Believe me love, this is the much easier way of going about it."

My eyes bulge open, any hint of sleep vanishing completely. I throw the sheets from over me and jump energetically from the bed, grabbing a robe as I stomp from the room.

"James!" I yell, praying for an answer somewhere in the house, "James Nicholls if you're home than answer me!"

Yet no answer comes.

Groaning, I march back into the bedroom, tossing the robe from my shoulders as I pull a simple dress from the closet. As I tie my hair back into a messy braid, I quickly glance into the mirror to ensure my decency.

The sun is still rising, as it always does until it begins to set, but it seems at the point where its light is still fresh; around 8 o'clock. Its rays spread warmth through my body, strangely cooling my heated anger with James. Not that I'm angry with him; my temper is very short.

Gail whinnies happily when I stride into the barn, throwing her head back and awakening Hercules. Once he sees me, his whinnies collide with Gail's in a most annoying sound of hunger and happiness.

"Patience, children!" I laugh, "Mamma just woke up, too!"

•••

The breeze stings my cheeks as we fly
across the countryside, Gail's hooves pounding into the moist dirt. James' place of location was most convenient, and in unusually quick seconds the village peeks up over the small mound of a rolling hill.

Gail gallops instinctively into the quant town, her soft hoofbeats transitioning into loud clomps as we ride over the cobblestone. Tens of dozens of men crowd the square; mostly dressed in soldier's uniforms, and the ones who aren't have large grins across their cheeks as they are handed their new clothing.

"James..." I whisper, wide-eyed.

So many men. My eyes mingle between the groups of people, scanning the large section of enlisting booths.