Epilogue

As the years passed, it slowly grew easier to forget James and everything that had happened during those four hard years. But even as more and more time came and went, the beautiful memories of him and everything we had shared stayed close to me, never to be fully forgotten.

Mum and Mrs. Nicholls continued to visit me and help with little Joey, but as he grew older, their daily visits slowly dwindled down to weekly visits, then fewer and fewer from then on. And then the tragic happened, and my father passed away.

It was a hard year for Mum and I, but we mourned together though the loss. And soon, like my situation with James, she moved on, and her visits grew longer and more often again.

My Little Joey quickly grew into a man, a man that would had made James proud. By the time he turned six, it was suddenly clear to him that he would never meet his father, and when he turned seven he knew that it was death that separated them. He was deeply saddened to know this, but by the time he turned ten it fazed him little.

Little Joey and I were also able to visit Albert and Joey, and little Joey was ecstatic. He loved the horses, just like James and quickly grew into Hercules. We took many rides together, and it felt like being with James again.

But the good years went by quickly, and as suddenly as World War I was forced upon us, World War II came rushing in. Joey, now twenty-three and in desperate need to be like his father, signed up in a heartbeat.
He looked just like James.

And again, I cried. Every night, and every morning for five years. It dreaded me to think of losing the only thing I had left to cherish.

But unlike James' unfortunate fate, Joey returned to me, a Captain with many badges and medals to show his honor and bravery. We lived together for two more years after that, until he was twenty-nine, and meet the girl he was to marry.

Elizabeth Bullock was her name, and she was such a sweet thing. They were married, and moved into a lovely farm house where they raised beautiful Thoroughbreds.

Not a year after, Gail passed of old age. It was a tragic thing for me; she was as close as a best friend. Hercules had aged much and spent most of his time eating or sleeping, but he was always sweet and good with any children that happened to be along.

Everything, over time, became beautiful again. Life was happy. My son had a beautiful wife, and a good home. My mother, though old and weak, moved in with me and we talked and had tea and laughed. James' parents prospered in their old age and came often to visit.

And James' words stayed with me through it all.

"Never stop smiling. Never stop dreaming. And most importantly, never stop living the wonderful life you have."

And through it all I have learned: you must never let the surreal things in life get you down, because it is also the surreal things in life that pick you back up.

--

A/N:

Wow. It's over. That's it. The end.

I really hope you guys liked/enjoyed this story! I put a lot of work into it and I hope it wasn't time wasted. Thanks for sticking with me this far - you guys are awesome! Thanks again!

Lots of love to all my amazing readers,

- 〽️iddleAsgard, at your service.