Chapter 19 | His Name Is Joey

| short |

I scream in pain, clutching the railings of the bed post.

Pain.

Inexplicable pain.

Mother grasps my right hand, and James' mum takes my left as I scream in pure agony. I will never understand the pleasure that comes from this much pain.

"Just a little longer, Kathy," mum soothes nervously, "You're doing fine."

A laugh rips itself through my screams as more sweat beads up on my forehead. My stomach feels numb and ripped and completely disfigured, but the pain is slowly seeping out and becoming lesser.

One more scream, one more hard push as I squeeze mum's hand with all my energy, and it all fades away. Falling back into the bed, I feel weak and frozen, but I need to know.

"Kathy!" mother exclaims quietly as she takes the infant away, "He's beautiful...

"He?" I almost hop up from the bed as my eyes bulge open, "It's a boy?"

Mum nods, smiling brightly, and I barely catch it through my falling eyelids. I grin.

"James would have been so happy."

Mum stops, and for a moment her smile fades, but she quickly regains her stance and hurries off to clean the baby.

"Let me wash him off, dear," she pipes happily.

A soft squeeze on my hand forces me to reopen my eyes, and James' mother is smiling proudly at me from the edge of the bed.

"He would have been so pleased, Katherine," she whispers, teary-eyed, "And I'm so proud of you."

Tears form in my eyes as that familiar pains returns, but I push it aside with a weak smile. "Thank you, mum."

"Here he is!" mother enthusiastically informs as she carefully brings over the child. "Here, Kathy, hold him."

Smiling, I silently accept. What a wonderful thing, and I now understand the worthy pain it costs.

He looks just like James.

"What're you gonna name him?" mum inquisitively asks.

The baby's gaze finds mine, and it feels strange to feel such love and care towards something I have yet to hold for hours. But it feels wonderful.

"Katherine?"

I smile. "Joey."

"Joey?"

"For James. He would've wanted it."

•••

I had our baby today, James. He looks just like you. Big, blue eyes, and although he doesn't have much of it yet, it's easy to see his hair will be curly, and golden. He's a quiet baby, and he loves to smile. And he loves the horses. Mother told me it wasn't wise to bring him to the barn so soon, but it's been two days since his birth, and I wanted him to see Hercs. His birthday is in March, James! Just like yours. March 1st.
And I've named him Joey, James.

His name is Joey.

--

A/N:

Hiya readers. Short part here, but I hope you all liked it! This fic is nearing its end, and I would really appreciate feedback from you guys. It would be really helpful to me :) Thanks guys!

(And don't forget to vote and comment!)

- 〽️️iddleAsgard, at your service.