Chapter 8 | Will You?

The only sound ringing in my ears are steady hoofbeats, accompanied by a soft wind rustling through the grass and the occasional tweet of a bird. A burning sun shimmers down onto the radiant coats of Gail and Hercs; the contrast of their black and chestnut fur against the ripe, green grass esthetic.

My gaze rests firmly on the horn of my saddle, not daring to move it anywhere closer to James. I had thought nothing of his invitation to a peaceful horseback ride along the countryside, but this is merely painful.

Every time I look at him, every time my gaze accidentally slips from its place on the saddle horn to his abyssal eyes, I can't help but picture him in a uniform. A captain's uniform, fit and ready for war.

And once that happens, it's hard to restrain the flow tears. Just like that, in a single, quick moment of adversity, I could lose him. Forever. My mind has trouble wrapping around such a large eternity.

Gail whinnies and throws her neck, whipping her long mane across my face. It's hard to hold a laugh, but my ears perk when I hear James'.

"Eager today, aren't we Gail?" he chuckles lightheartedly, giving Hercs a hard pat on the shoulder, "I wish Hercs held your enthusiasm."

"I wish I held her enthusiasm," I honestly smile.

Instantly, his eyes droop at my comment.
Staring intently, his strong gaze finds mine, and it is so full of sorrow that I almost look away. But now that we are locked, it's impossible, and I can only think; How many more times will I be able to find solidity in his gaze?

"Come on," he commands softly, dismounting Hercules in one swift movement, "Let's walk."

I nod, my eyes following him as he strides over to Gail's side and extends a hand to me. Once I accept, he hoists me from the saddle and intertwines his fingers with mine, creating a warm flood that swims through my entire body.

We walk quietly through a beautiful meadow at the top of a hill, and it's then that I notice he's taken me to the place he had found me picking daisies. Yet it seems as if thousands more have grown in place of the few I had picked, and it's like swimming through an ocean of flowers.

A sigh escapes my lips; why can't every perfect and beautiful thing stay perfect and beautiful? Why do these moments have to end?

"Are you alright, Katherine?" James asks, his words like soft velvet, made to bring comfort despite the distress.

My eyes dart to his, and though no words have yet escaped my mouth, my voice is quivering. There is no way to tell him yes, to lie and pretend everything is right with the world. So, I reply honestly.

"No."

"Why not?" he naively questions, bringing his body around to face mine as he grasps both my hands.

"Do I have to tell you?" I sniff, wiping a tear before it falls.

"You don't have to," he claims, but I know by his tone that he understands my trouble as he takes me into his arms.

"But let's try not to be so down-hearted, alright?" he chides gently, his hand running softly through my hair before leaving it completely, as he bends down to pluck a daisy. He twiddles it in his fingers before sticking it behind my ear. "If only you had a smile. Then it would be impeccable."

I laugh dryly, letting a half-hearted smile etch its way across my lips. It does feel nice to smile.

"There! See? I knew you had it in you. You mustn't let the faulty things in life overcome the pleasant things. If everyone did that, there would be no happy things in the world."

"You are my pleasant thing, James," I state, ruining his beautiful aphorism as my smile once again fades, "Without you, there are no happy things."

"Hey, shhhh, let's cheer up," he grins enthusiastically, "What could possibly happen?"

"You could die, James!" I sob, releasing the tight tension between my heart and emotions. The tears that flow down my cheeks cause his smile to fade, and he brings me back into his arms.

"Then let us take hold of the time we have now," he whispers soothingly as he strokes my hair, "This happy thing."

Another sob racks my body as I cry into his chest, "I'm sorry, James. I'm so miserable."

"What will make you happy, Katherine?" he solemnly asks, holding me back to stare into my eyes.

"Being with you forever," I whisper fervently, forcing my childish cries back down my throat and burying them.

His eyes flash suddenly, "Then will you be with me for the forever we have?" he quickly asks, and before I know what's happening he has bent a knee and kneels before me, "Will you be my wife?"

I gasp, not knowing what exactly I'm suppose to say, so I whisper, "James..."

He smiles, "I don't have a ring, bu-"

"I don't want a ring," I cry, throwing myself down into his arms, "I just want you."

"Then take me," he whispers softly into my hair, "And let us grasp this happy thing and keep it till death itself breaks us apart."

A/N

Proposal chapter! I do hope I captured this moment in a way you all enjoyed, and it would make so so very happy if you would comment and tell me your thoughts! And as always, comments and votes are appreciated (no pressure).

- 〽️️️️iddleAsgard, at your service.