Chapter 9 | Till Forever Ends

One week. It's been one week since James' proposal, and already I stand in my wedding gown, preparing my racking nerves to walk confidently up the isle.

James wanted to get married as soon as possible; and I agreed. We are at war. There is no telling how much time we have left with each other. This needs to happen. I need to know he is mine and only mine before he is taken away, for what may be forever.

Happy thoughts, Katherine! It's your wedding day!

A deep breath flows up from my lungs and out between my quivering lips. Clenched tightly at my sides, my palms quickly moisten from nervous sweat.

I take a quick glance into the body-length mirror, but once my eyes settle on the gown, it's hard to look away.
.
The day after James proposed, he came rapping on my door, insisting that he take me out to buy a wedding dress. I tried to tell him I would be just as happy to wear the new gown he had boughten me only weeks before, but he said if we were to have a wedding, we would have a real one.

And to be quite frank, I am glad he offered me a new gown. White as the purest lamb, flowery lace fabric flows down past the length of my toes, spreading in a small sphere around my feet. A tight bodice restrains comfortable breaths, but I decided it was worth it for James. Lace, medieval sleeves cover one-forth of my arms, and a heart-shaped neck dips just above my breasts. Thin lace covers the area above my chest, and ends in a comfy high-neck. A silk ribbon is tied neatly around my small waist; a perfect bow drooping over my bottom.

Loosely hung in the back of my head, strands of my golden hair curl around my jawbone, decently framing my face. The loose bun in my hair feels as if it might fall out at the slightest jerk of my head, but after much assertion from my best friend, Diana, I've begun to wear it confidently.

Daisies are tucked into my hair at what looks to be random, but the sparkle in Diana's eyes as she placed them told me it had been done with care. And lastly, my bouquet; a beautiful assortment of daisies, Queen Mary's, bluebells, and pink roses.

I laugh as I continue to stare into the mirror. Strangely, I remind myself of a fairy. Or perhaps a little elf.

The door swings open, and with a loud gasp, I snap around, jumping back against the mirror.

"Katherine," Diana breaths excitedly, "They're ready."

"Now? Already?" I gasp again, "I...I'm not...I can't...I'm not ready!"

"Yes you are," she laughs, grabbing my shoulders and directing out the door, "You'll be fine! Just breath, and look at James! I'm sure you will feel better once you've seen him."

"Alright...Alright..." I breath slowly, "I can do this."

"That's rig-"

"Wait."

I snap around to face Diana, my eyes bulging with pure fright.

"I don't think I'm ready for this."

"Katherine," she calms me, placing two friendly hands on my arms, "You look beautiful. You smell beautiful. You are perfect. This is for you, and James is waiting. Why so nervous, dear?"

"I love him," I whisper, "But I am so scared."

"I was too. But once I saw him..." her eyes haze over in remembrance, and it lulls my nerves, "...it was like every beautiful thing in the world."

I smile gratefully, "Thank you."

She smiles back, and our gazes meet in understanding. With a squeeze, she escapes the moment first.

"Let's go!" she commands, waving me off towards the isle.

•••

{James POV}

Soft music plays over the keys of a piano, the tunes wafting through the high ceilings of the lovely church building. My thumbs twitch uncontrollably across my joined hands, and I can only wonder if Katherine is nearly as nervous as I am.

She is always so laid back and carefree, I can't hardly imagine her being this nervous over a wedding. But weddings are such an important turn in life, something that changes even the smallest routines in the way you might live. Perhaps she is nervous.

And what if she isn't? Does that mean this is something that doesn't matter to her? Something that either would happen or wouldn't? Or perhaps, something she could've avoided if she wanted to?

Oh, stop it James. You're nerves are acting up, again. She is probably just as nervous as you are.

I do hope that.

But before I let my rambled mind run off into another argument, the piano music switches keys and starts to play a different tune. Not the cliché wedding tune that only dull couples choose to play, but one Katherine picked herself. A beautiful symphony that does its best to remind the listener of flowers and meadows and blue skies and yellow suns. The composer succeeded drastically.

And then I see her, My Darling Katherine, and it takes the breath from my lungs.

•••

{Katherine's POV}

He stands tall and proud and handsome as he ever was, and my breath leaves me helpless as I begin to descend the isle. His hair is slicked back, golden and glistening, and contrasting beautifully with his simple black suit.

Times are hard, and he willingly have up money to purchase me an extravagant gown, while he settled for a cheaper suit.

His gaze catches mine, snatching me up in his exuberant stature, and my cheeks flush a burning red. Yet just as Diana said, this moment is like every beautiful thing in the world.

It seems to take a million years to reach him, but when he finally clasps his hands in mine, it seems to have only taken a mere millisecond, and we are inches apart.
Nervous breaths from his mouth warm my
face as he stares down at me, and I failingly try to meet his unconfident gaze with confidence.

"Do you take this woman to be your lawful wedded wife? To love and to cherish, forsaking all others..."

The high-pitched voice of the preacher fades out completely as I drain myself in James' sapphire blue eyes. My gaze lands on his lips, then floats to his hair, his eyebrows, his nose, his ears, until they are trapped back in his eyes again. I will live with this man for the rest of my life. Until our forever ends.

His lips begin to move through a forming smile, but no words are audible to me. And suddenly, without warning, my eyes morph a officer's cap on top of his head, resting handsomely above his eyebrows. And when I look down to see his suit, it had also been replaced by a uniform.

"...as long as ye both shall live?"

Snapping out of my trance, I turn to face the preacher, who is eyeing me curiously. I look back to James, who also seems to be waiting for an answer.

He leans close, brushing his lips against my ear as he whispers, "Say, "I do"."

A breath hitches in my throat and I stare desperately into James' eyes. He nods his head with an understanding smile, and all my worries and nervousness drift away as I answer.

"I do."

A/N

Well guys, as always, I'd love to hear your thoughts! There's not much else to say, but votes and comments are greatly appreciated.

- 〽️️️️iddleAsgard, at your service.