Chapter 3 | My Darling Katherine

| james p.o.v. |

Her face, vivid as if she were standing before me, lingers in my memory as I try to draw her in swift strokes. She has such elegant features, I find it hard to capture her perfection through the dull tip of my pencil.

I almost think it quite rude to sketch her behind her back. To keep a picture I drew myself hidden away just so that I can see her when she is not with me. Nevertheless, I continue to fill out her beautiful form in my sketchpad.

With a quick, swift stroke, I draw the last touch of the drawing, titling it, "My Darling Katherine". Setting the pencil down and reluctantly closing the book, I peer out the window to the side of the room. I had my desk set away from the widow purposely, as to attract the right lighting for my drawings.

I can't remember a time when this room was much different. The bed has always been in the left corner, my desk in the right. The window over the end of my bed, and a large frame over the head-frame of it.
The frame is the only fairly new piece in the room, and that I painted myself. A rough painting of Hercules, he stands as proud as if he were a god himself. I'm right proud of that painting, although, it was done many years ago, when Hercules was but a yearling.

Nothing in this room, since then, has changed much. To my satisfaction. I was never one for much change, until I met Katherine.

I've only seen her twice, yet I feel as if we could have been acquaintances our whole lives. And suddenly, I want to be with her every second of every day. I want to give up this old room and build a house for her, a house for us. I want to make her happy in every way.

Foolishness, is what it it. I've seen her but twice and I want to make her mine. But I can only wonder...

Does she feel the same way about me?

"James?"

The soft lull of my mother's voice grasps my attention, so I turn to face her.

"Yes, mum?"

"I just wanted to make sure you were back from town. Did you get the grain?"

Of course. In the confusion and haziness of seeing Katherine again, I completely forgot.

"I'm so sorry, mum," I begin to explain, "I'll go right now."

"James," she stops me as I stand to exit, placing a motherly hand on my shoulder, "Are you alright? It's not much like you to forget things so easily."

I sigh, about to let a lie slip from my lips. But this is my mother. The woman who raised me and cared for me. I would be nothing without her. So why do I feel as if I must hide this new-found love?

"I ran into a girl this morning."

"A girl?" She raises her eyebrows, but quickly furrows them. "What kind of a girl?"

"A lovely girl, mum," I defend Katherine, "I'm sure you'd love her."

"Have you met her before, James? You know how I feel about last minute relationships."

"No, no. Of course I've met her before. Actually, she lives quiet close."

Mum smirks. "Just don't go and do anything rash, please."

She begins to leave, but suddenly turns back to face me.

"I'm happy for you, James," she smiles and exits the room.

--

Ahh. So, James is, after all, in love with Katherine. Surprised? Didn't think you would be. But do you have other feelings on the chapter? I'd love to hear them! (Keep in mind, no pressure guys.) But I would appreciate it if you let me know how you think of the way I capture James in this chapter!

- 〽️️️iddleAsgard, at your service.