Chapter 16 | Gunfire

| James P.O.V. |

Tall, golden wheat tilts in the heavy breeze that sends chaff wafting through the air, emitting the appearance of a snowfall against the clouded blue sky. A soft nicker from a curious horse is quietly hushed by its rider, and all is quiet aside from the rustling of the tall grains. My quivering hands tightly clutch Joey's dangling reigns as I give him a hardy pat, rechecking the red and white pennant tied tightly to his saddle.

At Jamie's call, we mount, quietly and swiftly, like ghosts in the midst of the wavering wheat stalks. My heart pounds hopelessly against my chest, begging to be relieved of the nervous stress of the oncoming charge.

Swords are drawn, the sharp sound of the metal blades coming unsheathed slicing the quiet air, and we place the weapons against our shoulders; one hand on the reigns. Joey uneasily stomps a hoof, so I reach down to pat his shoulder as I whisper into his ear.

"Easy, Joey. Easy now. Don't get excited. We'll come out of this all right. Don't you worry."

Then, quite suddenly the charge is called.
In a mad fury, we emerge from the stalks, shouting battle cries that are only drowned in the furious pounding of the charging calvary. Swords pointed forward, we meet the terrified Germans in a panic attack, slicing mercilessly through their camp as they run to cover.

Is this right? Is this what winning a war means? Killing unarmed men, who seem just as terrified as I. It doesn't seem right, but I do it for Katherine. To see her again when it is finished. And it seems worth it, then.

My eyes glance up ahead, and a strange glint comes from something hidden in the edge of the forest on the other side. I snap my head around to find Jamie, but a loud shot brings my attention back in front.
Gunshots, ringing loudly from the dense forest send bullets flying through our lines, taking down men and horses by the dozens.

They are armed. They've been armed all along.

Nothing is heard, sound drowns away under the pounding of hoofbeats. Nothing is felt, besides a strange emotion of sadness. Nothing is seen, apart from the shining barrel of a machine gun directly ahead of where I ride.

The barrel blazes with smoke as shots are fired.

A deep, sudden pain erects itself into my chest, darkening my vision and taking me from my seat in Joey's saddle.

I hit the ground, my body sinking into the moist dirt, and the courageous beats of Joey's hooves riding on towards the guns is all that is visible through my ever blurring vision.

My cap falls from my head, and everything stops, all air banishing itself from my lungs. A solitary name splits my mind, and then it's gone and nothing is heard.

Or felt.

Or seen.

Katherine.

--

A/N:

I'm know. I'm sorry.

It's short but honestly it's suppose to be. I'm sorry for the feels I have inflicted upon you...if you have any, that is.

Please vote and comment, darlings <3

- 〽️iddleAsgard, at your service.