Chapter 55 - Sang

Jade doesn't even bother packing up more than a couple of outfits for her and myself. She just shoves a whole backpack full of money and our faked passports. I think she plans on fleeing the country.

This is the last I'll ever see of this place.

While she's busy, I hurry to grab a napkin and a pen, the only things closest to me that I can use to write with, and I write a letter. So when they do make their way upstairs, they'll have this to remember me bye.

Writing as quickly as I can, I scribe, "I don't know if you'll see this, but just know that if I never see you again--and I suspect that I won't--I love you. I'm so sorry I never said it before, but I've been in love with you for a while now, and I only recently realized that I think I've been in love with you from the moment I first met each of you. From the first moments I felt those sparks when we touched. And I guess I just wanted you to know that. Eventually, you all may cease to love me over time. I sincerely hope you do. I hope you all can find someone better than me to share your lives with. I know I've been a bit of trouble. But even if you do, just know that my heart will forever be yours--all nine pieces of it.

All my love,
Sang"

Before she has the chance to see, I swiftly flip it to hide it behind me as she hurries to grab me and rush me to the car, dropping it on the counter before we leave. She rushes me as if she's hoping to leave before the boys gather enough strength to carry themselves up the stairs, which will probably take a while. More tears leak from my burning eyes as I think about how I was forced to leave them.

But they get to live; that's all that matters here. I'm not important in this equation.

They said they love me. They actually love me. And I can't believe I was able to use my voice. I never thought I'd be able to ever again, no matter how scratchy and rough it was when I used it. That's more than I ever thought possible, anyway. If I wasn't there and I didn't do it myself, I wouldn't have believed it, but the proof is in the way it hurts to breathe or swallow.

I'm not-so-softly shoved into the passenger's side of the car, and she almost slams the door on my hand as she rushes over to the driver's side.

And then we're pulling out of the long, gravelly driveway, off to wherever she sees fit. The airport, I'd guess.

And my heart is left behind with two of the boys it belongs to. And I feel empty.

Not able to contain my tears, I let them run free as I huddle myself into a little ball--the only comfort I've received thus far. I can only ever depend on myself. I can't count on anyone because in the end, they all leave one way or another. But I guess this time I'm leaving them, aren't I?

Already off to a head start, I guess.

Jade says nothing about my tears, just lets me cry until no tears are left. Until I'm falling asleep and my mind is relieved of such agonizing thoughts, and the heavy weight on my heart is lifted--but only for a little while.

"Mmm, I want more," I plead, licking my lips greedily with a grin.

Luke just chuckles and reaches over, feeding me another bite of the chocolate bar he has in his hand. "Better, Cupcake?" he teases.