Chapter 7

Toni's pov

I arrive home after a 20 minute walk and I get in, luckily my mom's at work so I won't have to give her explanations on why I'm not at school.

I look at myself in the mirror. I look like trash.
I'm pale as hell and my mascara is everywhere around my eyes, except on my lashes which is where it's supposed to be. I have the worst bags under my eyes and it looks like I don't know what a hairbrush is.

Honestly I know I woke up like half an hour ago but I'm so tired after all that happened last night I decide I'm going back to sleep.
I go upstairs in my room and get straight under the blanket without even getting changed into my pajamas.

*2pm*

I wake up feeling confused and after a few minutes I remember everything. I skipped school and fell asleep again.
I check my phone and see that I have two new texts.

-Did you get home?

and then after an hour

-I thought I told you to text me when you'd be home. You better have a good excuse for this.

Oh no it's Cheryl. I totally forgot to text her when I got back, I was so sleepy. What should I do? Maybe just ignore her..
No, what the hell Toni? Text her back dumbass

-I'm sorry Cheryl I fell asleep but I swear I wanted to text you, I just closed my eyes for a bit and drifted off, I'm sorry

I know I shouldn't be lying but my wrists are bruised and my ass is purple, I think this is enough for now.
I hear my mom knock on the door of my room and tell her to get in.

"Toni? What are you doing here?"
"Uh I didn't go to school...I have a headache.."
"You skipped your second day?.."
"Yeah...I'm sorry..it's a really bad headache"
"Don't worry, you should go back to sleep. Wait, Toni what have you done to your wrists??"

I look down at my wrists and then back at my mom.

"Um.. I-I fell... on the stairs"
"And you bruised your wrists like that?"

She looks at me confused and I nod hesitantly.

"That's weird...well, rest up honey, I'll be downstairs"

She finally leaves my room and I let out a breath.
I pick up my phone and see that I have received another text but it's not from Cheryl this time, it's from Jughead.

-Hey Toni, I'm really sorry for yesterday night. I didn't see you today at school, is everything alright? I hope you're okay, please text me as soon as you can. I'm worried

Oh my god, after everything that happened with Cheryl I forgot about what happened with him. I cringe at the memory and text him back.

-Yes I'm okay, don't worry. And it's okay I understand you were drunk

-Do you wanna hang out? Maybe at around 5pm, I could come pick you up?

I think about it for a bit and decide I should go. I mean, I don't really have anything else to do anyway.

-Yeah it's fine. See you later!

I get up to go take a shower and then I go downstairs to get something to eat.

*5pm*

-I'm here x

I look at the text from Jughead and go outside.

"Hey!" I say as I get in his car.
"Hi Toni" he kisses my cheek and starts driving.
"Where are we going?" I ask
"I thought we could go to pop's, just to chill a little, nothing special. How does that sound?"
"It's perfect, I really need some time to chill" I chuckle.

After a few minutes we're at pop's, he parks and we get out of his car.
We get in and we both order two banana smoothies, we sit at a table and just chat.
"So..what did you do last night? you know, after you left" he asks
"I went home"
"Yeah, but I mean I was supposed to give you a ride home and since I didn't-and I'm very sorry for that- how did you get home?"
"Um.."
Should I tell him that Cheryl picked me up while I was walking home? Judging by how Cheryl acts when Jughead is involved, it doesn't seem like her and Jughead get along very well.
"I walked home" I lie
"What? That is so dangerous Toni, something bad could've happened!"
"Well.. nothing happened so it's fine"
"Just promise me you'll never do that again, you can't walk around here on your own when it's dark at night" he says and rests his hands on mine on the table.
I feel a little uncomfortable but I don't wanna be rude so I just ignore it
"Okay, I promise" I say and give him a smile.

Suddenly I hear heels clicking and casually tilt my head in the direction of the sound.
Oh no it's her. And she's walking towards us.
I abruptly take my hands away from Jughead's and place them on my knees under the table.
"What's wrong?" he asks
"Uh? nothing, nothing I-"
"You look worried, are you okay?"
"Y-yeah... "
I look down and just pray she won't actually come here.

I see her shoes as she stops at our table. Never mind.
I keep my head down and pretend I don't know she's here but then she clears her voice and I have to look up.
"Hello Toni"
"hi Cheryl.." I say quietly
She looks at me and then at Jughead and then back at me.
"What are you doing here?" she asks with a huge and obvious fake smile on her face.
"I'm..w-we're just-"
"We are just chatting" Jughead interrupts me.
Cheryl slowly tilts her head in his direction and glares at him
"I'm sorry, I didn't see you there. For an instant I thought Pop's got infested by rats but now the stink is explained"
"What do you want Cheryl?" he asks furious
"I wasn't even talking to you in first place. I don't think Toni needs someone to talk for her, unless the car got her tongue" she looks at me smiling sarcastically
"We're hanging out together and we were talking. You interrupted us. That's why I answered you for her"
She looks at me still with that smile on her face without saying anything and I start fiddling with the hem of my shirt nervously, not really knowing what to do or say.
"Cheryl, leave" Jughead says after noticing my discomfort.
"Okay" she says and then continues "let's go Toni"
I look at both of them confused and stay in my seat. Then Jughead laughs irritated.
"She's not coming with you"
"Wanna bet?" she says then turns around and starts walking away.
I look at Jughead in panic as my heart starts racing.
I strongly feel like I should listen to Cheryl. I know I've only known her for like a day but she scares me, a lot.
"I'm sorry Jughead, I-I...gotta go"
He looks at me with wide eyes without saying anything and I quickly get up and rush out pop's to catch up with Cheryl.

She's already in her car so I just get in as well.
She looks at me pleased.
"I knew you would've listened to me" she says and starts driving.
"Can you explain to me what you're doing though?" I say kind of annoyed
"What do you mean?"
"Why are you doing this now? Where are you taking me?"
"I told you I didn't wanna see you with that guy again. I thought I'd made myself clear. Apparently you're a stubborn girl. We'll fix that."
I feel a shiver down my spine at her words and just stay quiet.