Chapter 15

Toni's pov

Reggie, Cheryl and I go to detention together and we all sit in the back.
After a few minutes Ms Lovato arrives and she's already mad. Yay.
"Why are you sitting in the back?! Come to the front, it's just the three of you." she says.
We stand up and do as she said.
"Bitch" Cheryl mumbles and I can't help but giggle a little.
Ms Lovato turns around quickly and raises her voice at me.
"Excuse me?!"
I look at her not sure what to say. I don't wanna blame Cheryl even though she's the one who said that.
"Repeat what you just said."
I open my mouth but Cheryl interrupts me.
"I said it" she says.
"Don't even think of that, miss Blossom. Your taking the blame for each other all the time needs to stop right now."
"But I said it! Toni's got nothing to do with this!" Cheryl says as she starts getting angry.
I know she wouldn't want me to take the blame for her but I don't want her to get in trouble. I don't care if she'll get mad at me.
"No Cher, it's fine. I'm sorry for what I said ms Lovato" I say.
"You will stay here with me for longer today, miss Topaz. And now I want you all to copy this essay three times." she says and hands out papers to us.
Cheryl's about to speak up again but I quickly place my hand on hers. She looks at me, her eyes look so dark and angry. I look at her and plead her with my eyes and see hers soften. I wasn't expecting this. Maybe she really does care about me.

After we finished copying the essay, ms Lovato dismisses Cheryl and Reggie.
Cheryl mouths something like "text me later".
Ms Lovato is working on something and won't even pay attention to me. I just sit there in silence for what seems like ages. Can't she just give me something to do?
At some point she stands up and speaks.
"I forgot something in my car. I want you to stay here, understand? Don't do anything that will get you even more in trouble than you are right now. It will only take a few minutes."
I nod and watch her walk out the door.

I sit there in silence until I hear a noise from the other side of the classroom.
I look and almost get a heart attack when I see Cheryl outside the window.
I stand up and walk there quietly.
"Cheryl?! What the hell?" I say after opening the window.
"Toni, baby, jump out!" she whispers.
"What?? Are you crazy?"
"Baby c'mon you're on the first floor! And I'll catch you, I'll help you if you can't do it-"
"Cheryl, it's not that! I can't just run away from school like this! I'll get in trouble"
She rolls her eyes.
"You'll be in even more trouble if you don't"
Suddenly her eyes go dark again, giving me chills.
"Hurry up before the teacher comes back." she says and I do what she told me.
"How long have you been here?" I ask her once I'm outside.
"I never left" she says.
"Wait, so you've been watching me?" I say and she just smiles.

We hear heels from inside the school and look at each other with wide eyes.
Cheryl grabs my hand and we start running as fast as we can.
We keep laughing and I can't breathe anymore.
"Don't stop TT, keep running!"
We reach her car and quickly get in.
We look at each other for a few seconds and start laughing again.
"I hate you" I say and she suddenly becomes serious.
"What?"
"..Cheryl...I'm joking.."
"Oh. Well, yes, of course you are. But don't joke like that"

"So..what are we gonna do now?" I say
"Anything to your liking my princess, I am at your complete disposal"
I turn around to look at her and we stare at each other's eyes for a moment.
Her eyes have an odd effect on me and I get lost.
"Toni? Are you alright?" she says and I realize she was waiting for an answer.
"Oh, yeah- I mean...I-I don't know..."
She chuckles and starts the car.
After a while I decide to break the silence.
"I'm scared.."
"Toni, I've already told you, you don't need to be scared of me. Well, not as long as I'm not mad at you" she says and winks.
"No, I mean..I'm scared of Ms Lovato. I don't even wanna know how much trouble I'll get into after this"
Cheryl pulls up and turns to me, holding my hand in hers.
"Babygirl. I've already told you this as well. You don't need to be scared of anything or anyone as long as I'm here. I'll never let anything bad happen to you, and I'll make sure nobody hurts you. Understand?"
I look down and nod.
"Thank you Cheryl"
"No need to thank me baby. I always protect what's mine."
I blush and look away as she starts driving again.

"I'll take you home now, okay? You must be very tired"
"Yeah, I am. Thank you."
She stops right in front of my house when my phone dings in my hands, signaling I got a text.
Cheryl grabs if before I can even look at it and her dark eyes quickly shift to my face.
"W-what" I ask nervous.
"You gave him your number."
"Who? C-cher, please let me see-" I say and try to reach out to take my phone but she moves it away.
"Reggie. I thought I'd made myself clear enough. You-are-mine-Toni Topaz."
At this point I start running out of patience.
"What-Cheryl, I don't even know what you're talking about! You're not making any sense"
"It means. That I decide. You listen."
I roll my eyes. Wrong choice.
"Excuse me? Did you just roll your eyes at me?"
"Yes, because I'm free to roll my eyes whenever I want to. And I can talk to other people outside you. Why should I listen to you anyway? Who said that I am yours? And why?"
She looks at me furious.
"Because I can do this." she says and slaps my cheek. 

I look at her as I try to hold back my tears.
"You asked for it." she says.
"How can you even say that you want to protect me when you're the first one to hurt me Cheryl?"
I look at her but she doesn't answer. She probably wasn't expecting me to say something like this.
"You don't make me feel safe, Cheryl. You're dangerous. Toxic."
Cheryl looks speechless and almost like she is the one who's holding back the tears now. But I'm not sorry. She's probably just acting anyway.
I snatch my phone from her hand and I see a tear roll down her cheek.
"Yeah, nice act. But you need to work on that fake cry if you want me to believe it." I say and get out of the car.

———
a/n
I GOT SO MANY IDEAS FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER IM EXPLODING

AND REMEMBER I LOVE YOU