Chapter 16

Toni's pov

I storm out of the car and walk home.
I run up the stairs, jump on the bed and scream into my pillow.
My phone dings again and this time it's Cheryl, so I don't even read it. Instead, I read the text from Reggie.

-Surviving detention? I hope you're still alive lol. If you are, we can go to Pop's later, have a drink together ;)

You know what? Maybe I should go. Yes, I am going. I text him back.

-Yeah haha I'm alive and I'd love to x

-Great! Meet you there in 20?

-Agreed!

I get up and go have a look at myself in the mirror. In short: I'm a mess.
And also, Cheryl's slap left a red mark on my cheek. I'm so angry at her right now.
I start covering it up with concealer when my eyes accidentally drop to the purple spot on my neck. Yeah, the hickey's still there, and it's even a darker shade of purple now.
I touch it lightly and close my eyes as I try to imagine her breath on my neck, her soft lips on my skin.
I open my eyes and shake off those thoughts.

But what if her tears were actual tears? Did I hurt her feelings?
"What the hell are you thinking Toni, she's Cheryl Blossom. Of course her tears were fake. She's manipulative." I tell myself.
I get ready to leave my house but first I check the texts from Cheryl.

-I'm sorry Toni. I need to see you, please.

Fuck her. I lock my phone and go to Pop's.
On the way there I have the feeling someone's following me and I turn around many times, but no one's there. A little part of me maybe hoped I would find Cheryl behind me, but I try to convince myself I don't wanna see her.

I walk inside diner and see Reggie already waiting for me at a table.
"Hey" I say as I sit down.
"Oh hey Toni!" he smiles at me.
As we chat about random stuff, I start imagining what would happen if Cheryl saw me here with him and I get paranoid about it.
"You alright?" he asks me.
"What? Yeah, I'm fine Reggie"
"Can I ask something?"
I nod.
"What's that...thing on your neck? I noticed it earlier..I mean, after you went to the bathroom with Cheryl, but I didn't wanna ask"
"Oh um...it's...uh"
"Are you two a thing?"
"What? No! I burnt myself with the flat iron and she was helping me cover it up with makeup, but failed"
"Oh..okay" he doesn't look convinced at all but at least he pretends to be.

My phone dings and I ignore it, but after a few seconds it dings again and I roll my eyes. It's Cheryl.
"Um...is anything wrong Toni?" Reggie asks again.
"Uh..actually, it's my mom. She's telling me to go home as soon as possible. I'm sorry Reggie, I'll see you tomorrow at school"
"Oh okay, it's fine. See you tomorrow"
I get out and check Cheryl's texts.

-Please TT, I need to see you. Now

-If you don't reply I'll just come see you wherever you are

I walk back home as fast as possible, scared she'll find me here. Luckily I didn't stay at Pop's with Reggie.

I close the door behind me and after greeting my mom, I go to my room.
Another text from Cheryl.

-I know you're reading my texts, stop ignoring me please. I'm sorry, I really am

I turn off my phone and watch netflix to get my mind off all this mess.

*7pm*

"Toni, dinner's ready!" my mom yells from downstairs.
"Coming!" I yell back.
Five minutes into dinner and I lose my appetite.
"I'm full"
"But Toni, you've barely eaten! Are you okay?"
"Yeah mom, it's just...been a tiring day. I'm not really hungry"
"Oh, alright, well-"
Then the doorbell rings and I start getting anxious.
"Who could it be so late?" my mom says kind of worried.
I just shrug and look at her.
She stands up and walks to the door. When she opens it, I immediately recognize the voice.