Chapter 18

Nicole hurriedly went to look for the house administrator, she needed him to get a doctor to come check up on Gabriel. When she did that she instructed the maids to make chicken soup for Gabriel.

After about half an hour the doctor arrived, he did a check-up on Gabriel and told Nicole that he was down with a fever. He prescribed some medication for Gabriel and told Nicole how and when they were to be taken. He also told her that Gabriel needed to rest for a week. Before leaving, the doctor strictly told Gabriel not to wear himself out with too much work when he eventually gets better.

Nicole thanked the doctor for his time and saw him out. She ordered one of the maids to go buy the prescribed drugs then she returned to Gabriel's room and told him to shower before taking his drugs. He dragged himself out of bed and Nicole helped him to the bathroom, she ran his bath and went into his closet to get something comfortable that he could wear. She picked out a grey sweatpants and a white T-shirt and placed them on his bed. She then left the room to give him some privacy when he was done with his bath.

Gabriel came out of the bathroom and saw a white T-shirt and grey sweatpants neatly placed on his bed. He guessed that Nicole was behind it and he was grateful for that because he didn't think he was strong enough to search for something to wear. When he got dressed, he decided to lay back on his bed, the second he did that there was a knock on his bedroom door.

"Come in."

He said while covering the duvet over his legs, the door opened revealing Nicole with a tray in her hands.

Why didn't she ask a maid to bring it to him? Why did she have to do it herself? He wondered.

"Why didn't a maid bring this?" He asked.

"I chose to bring it myself," She replied sitting comfortably beside him on his bed.

"Here are your drugs. Take them and have this chicken soup."

She handed him his prescribed drugs with a glass of water, he immediately took them as she directed him to and placed the remaining glass of water back in the tray. He needs to recover fast because he hates staying sick in bed, it makes him feel weak.

"Here,"

Nicole interrupted his thoughts placing the tray of chicken soup on his lap.

Why was she acting like he hadn't been avoiding her? Like the incident in his study never happened.

He began slowly eating from the soup. Nicole on the other hand, suddenly became nervous seeing Gabriel again after two weeks of living in the same house like total strangers, she wanted so badly to talk to him but she didn't realize it would be this difficult, she wanted to get the guilt off her chest, so she began,

"Gabriel? About the other day, I um..."

"That's in the past now," He said cutting her off.

She only nodded not bothering to say anything after that. When Gabriel was done with his soup Nicole took the tray away from him and placed it on the nightstand, she then tucked him in bed so he would rest before carrying the tray and making her way to the door.

"Thank you."

She heard Gabriel say when she was about to reach for the doorknob.

                             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gabriel felt a lot better after staying in bed for two days straight, Nicole was really sweet during those two days, she was quite patient with him and even took her time to feed him when he wasn't strong enough to feed himself, she tucked him in bed whenever he was done eating and stayed with him until he fell asleep but he stopped her from doing that today because he was feeling better and can now take care of himself. But that wasn't the only reason, he did it also because he didn't want to get used to her pampering, he didn't want to get used to having her too close because whatever they were having was only a contract which would be over in a matter of months, he was scared of getting too attached to Nicole, he got her into this mess just because he wanted to prove to his mom and the press that he was still capable of dating so he is the only one to be blamed for all of this, Gabriel decided to distract himself from all these thoughts by going into his study to get some work done.

Nicole went into Gabriel's room to see how he was doing but she noticed that he wasn't there, she searched for him in his closet and bathroom but he wasn't there either so she left his room and went into his study. She hoped her guess was wrong but unfortunately and to her annoyance Gabriel was there working.

"What do you think you're doing?" She asked wanting to be sure of her guess.

"Working." That was all he said.

"You know you're supposed to be resting in bed," She said walking towards his desk.

"The doctor was specific when he said you needed at least a week's rest," She continued, snatching the papers that Gabriel was holding. Her action infuriated him.

He was already irritated with the fact that she was telling him what to do, as if that wasn't enough, she had to disrespect him in this manner. He stood up from his chair,

"Give them back, Nicole," He said through gritted teeth.

Nicole on the other hand was annoyed because he was being stubborn when it was quite obvious that he wasn't yet strong enough to be working.

"Not until you tell me you're going to get some rest." She replied.

"I'M FUCKING OKAY!" He angrily yelled, slamming his hands on his desk.

Nicole was taken aback by his reaction but decided to stand her ground and not give in to his outburst.

"YOU'RE NOT AND YOU KNOW IT!" She yelled back.

She couldn't understand why he was acting this way all of a sudden.

"Stop bugging me, Nicole, and give me the damn papers!" He angrily said.

"Now I'm bugging you?" Nicole asked, internally hurt by his statement but she got no reply from Gabriel.

"I don't know why you're being this stubborn, Gabriel, I'm only doing this because I care about you."

"I don't want you to care about me. Just leave me the hell alone!"

He was pissing her off right now. He has been the one treating her like she didn't exist like he hadn't walked up to her asking for her help. Yet, he's the one getting upset in this situation. No matter how much was on the line, he had no right whatsoever to treat her this way.

"I'm not one of your employees, Gabriel, so you have no right to speak to me the way you're doing."

"Need I remind you, Nicole, that I'm paying you for what you're doing."

Those words came like a terrible blow to Nicole, here she was thinking they were heading somewhere, at least as friends.

"Fine then. I don't see any reason why I'm still here...and don't worry about your money, I'll make sure it gets back to you any way I can."

Nicole said with teary eyes, dropping the papers back on his desk and angrily stomping out of his study.

OMG!
They just had their first fight 😢
Is Nicole truly leaving?
What do you guys think?
Did Gabriel overreact? Or was it Nicole's fault?

I've tried as much as I can to update these many chapters because I have no idea when I'll be updating
I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter or probably you're mad at me, either way, please comment and if you liked it don't forget to vote
Love y'all 😊