Chapter 20

Nicole stood in front of the mirror staring at her reflection, she looked paler than she used to be and had lost some pounds. How did she get to this point? She wondered. She applied some makeup to hide the paleness under her eyes. She wore a brown crop top and white jeggings with gladiator heels.

She wrapped her hair in a ponytail and looked at herself in the mirror one last time before picking up her brown jacket and phone from her bed and heading out of her apartment.

Nicole went to a coffee shop to have some cupcakes and coffee. She didn't realize how much she had missed a proper meal until she felt this one on her tongue. After finishing her breakfast, she bought some donuts that she would take home before leaving the shop. She also bought a newspaper in hopes of finding a new job on the advertisement page. After getting the paper, she headed home.

Nicole got back to her flat and settled down on the sofa, placing the box of donuts on her coffee table. She looked through the newspaper for about an hour but couldn't find any job that suited her qualifications. She got frustrated and angrily slammed the paper on the coffee table. She needed to get a new job so she would keep herself busy and not sit around all day thinking about someone who wouldn't do the same for her also she had to pay her bills. It's not like she has to urgently pay for anyone now.

Just then she heard a knock on the door. Who knew she was already back? She wondered.

Nicole took a deep breath getting herself prepared to do some explaining before walking to the door, she slowly opened the door and to her surprise, Gabriel was standing there.

Is this guy being serious? She needs to forget about him and now he's here.

Nicole noticed he had slimmed down a bit but still looked handsome. If only he knew how good-looking he was in suits, Nicole thought to herself.

Why was she thinking this way about the man who treated her like trash some days ago?

"May I come in?" Gabriel asked

Nicole quietly stepped aside letting Gabriel in. He walked into her flat. Looking around, he noticed that nothing had changed. He turned his attention to Nicole watching her as she closed the door and walked towards his direction. He noticed that she had lost some pounds and he didn't like it.

There was something about the way she looked empty, like she was void of any emotions which was the same way he felt. He knew he hurt her with the things he said, he never meant any of those things but that explanation would be useless now.

Nicole slowly inhaled before speaking,

"I'm sorry I haven't returned your money like I said I would. I had a lot of things to do" Nicole lied

"Now that you're here, you can give me your account details so I can transfer the money back."

"I'm not here for the money," Gabriel said making Nicole a little surprised.

If he wasn't here for that, then why was he here?

"If that's not your reason for being here then what is?" She asked curious to know why he came.

"You have to come back to the mansion," he replied.

"Excuse me?!"

"My parents are coming over tomorrow to meet you," he continued.

"You should have told them that you and your so-called 'fiancee' are done," she said emphasizing the word fiancee.

"I can't cos the contract was for six months, remember?"

"Oh yeah, I do, but since you asked me to get out of your life, go find someone else to play the part." she angrily replied.

Gabriel was in no mood to argue because a lot of damage had already been done from their previous argument

"I can't do that since we've already been seen together in public" he took a deep sigh before he continued

"Look, Nicole, we don't need to act this way. We are both adults."

"Right," Nicole said with sarcasm.

"If that were the case, you wouldn't have acted the way you did," she continued looking him straight in the eye.

At that instant, Gabriel felt ashamed of himself for what he did. He could see the pain in her eyes, so instead of staring at her, he looked anywhere else.

"My mom is eager to meet you," he suddenly said.

"I'm sorry Gabriel but you'll have to tell your mom that I got tired and we broke up."

Nicole immediately felt bad about her statement, she could see the hurt in Gabriel's eyes because of her words. She hadn't meant to bring it out that way. She didn't like the way she was treating him at the moment but he had also hurt her a few days back.

Gabriel didn't reply instead he made himself comfortable on her couch.

'Didn't he hear what she just said?' Nicole thought to herself.

Gabriel stared at the box on the coffee table wondering what was inside. His curiosity got the best of him as he carried the box, opened it, and saw that it was in fact donuts, he helped himself with one ignoring an angry-looking Nicole. He didn't want to fight with her nor did he want to leave without her because his parents were coming over to meet her after finding out about her from Charles who traveled to Las Vegas during the weekend and visited them. Gabriel had missed her presence in the mansion, his house has been awfully quiet since she left. He missed her laughter, her childish behavior, everything about her and those legs, they weren't exposed like they used to be, he felt disappointed that she was in pants because he loved seeing her beautiful legs.

Nicole slumped on one of her armchairs staring at Gabriel who was helping himself with her donuts. She thought he didn't like junk food. Now here he was eating her lunch, just great, she thought to herself.

They both sat in silence in Nicole's living room, neither of them uttering any word.

"I'll come with you only because you said your parents are coming over. Once they're gone, I'm leaving." Nicole said finally breaking the silence.

"Shall we?" Gabriel said standing up from the couch.

"Now?" Nicole asked surprised.

"Yes," he replied.

Nicole let out a heavy sigh before copying Gabriel's action, she picked up her phone from the coffee table and started towards the front door, Gabriel followed behind her with the box of donuts in his hand.

They sat quietly in the car while the chauffeur drove them home. The silence was killing Gabriel, he wanted to hear Nicole's melodious voice but he knew that wasn't going to happen so instead he continued munching on the donuts

"Okay, that's it! Do you have the slightest idea that you're eating my lunch?"

"No? I thought you didn't need them." Gabriel replied taking another donut.

Nicole immediately snatched the box away from his hand.

"There's only two left!" Nicole grumbled, pouting like a kid who got hurt.

"And it's your fault," she continued.

"I'll tell the chefs to make some
specially for you," he said causing a smile to replace the pout on Nicole's face.

"Really? Then have these." she excitedly said placing the box on Gabriel's lap, he couldn't help but smile at her little action. He was happy to hear her voice again, even though they got to talk only for a few minutes.

Aw
Aren't they cute?
Please don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoyed the chapter
Love y'all 😊