Chapter 27

It was time for the engagement party, Nicole was already dressed but didn't want to go downstairs to welcome the guests because she was nervous.

How was she going to face a bunch of elite people with a smile on her face when all of this was fake?

That wasn't even close to the reason why she was nervous. She was nervous because she had no idea how she was going to be received by Gabriel's guests or what their comments would be about her when they got to meet her. She was certain they would want to know what her background was like and she is nothing close to rich.

She didn't want to embarrass Gabriel in any way whatsoever. This contract was a bad idea, she should never have accepted such an offer, but what was she to do? She needed the money and doing this was better than robbing a bank or selling her body.

Nicole was still deep in thought when Helen walked into the room and took a seat beside her on the bed.

"Nicole, honey. Why aren't you downstairs yet?" Helen asked making Nicole aware of her presence.

"I'll be down soon," she replied with a small smile hoping Helen wouldn't notice how nervous she was.

"Honey, there are only a few guests. You have nothing to worry about." Helen said taking Nicole by surprise.

How did she know that she was worried about the guests?

"You don't have to look surprised. I figured you two wouldn't want something big so I decided to keep it small and simple, so let's go."

Just as Helen said that Gabriel walked into the room,

"Oh sweetie, you're here, I'll leave you two alone then... But please don't get so into yourselves and forget about the guests." Helen said with a smirk before leaving the room.

Gabriel stood at the same spot staring at Nicole after his mom left. She looked very elegant and beautiful in the green evening gown she wore. It hugged her body tightly from her chest down to her knees showing her incredible figure and a bit of cleavage. He could stand here all night and stare in awe of her without getting exhausted. He doesn't regret bringing her into his life because she was worth the risk. Suddenly he wished their relationship was true and not one based on a contract. It took everything in him to keep him from walking to her and kissing her passionately, her lips were so tempting and inviting. There were so many things he had thought of doing to Nicole if only she was truly his. He decided to stop his dirty fantasies and come back to earth.

"You look beautiful." He complimented Nicole who was trying her best to hide her nervousness from him.

"Thanks. You don't look bad yourself," she replied with a smile.

"Are you ready?" He asked her.

"Yeah. I guess?" she replied walking up to him.

He instantly placed his hand on her lower back, leading them out of the room.

They got to the spiral staircase and Nicole's nervousness doubled on seeing the guests downstairs. They were more than thirty in number and Helen claimed they were just a few.

Gabriel felt Nicole suddenly go tense on seeing the guests, he took her hand in his as an assurance that he was right by her side and there was nothing to be afraid of as they walked slowly down the stairs.

"Relax. Everything's going to be fine, I promise," he whispered to Nicole giving her hand a light squeeze.

Nicole wondered how he could tell she was worried. Before she could utter a reply, his lips connected with hers as he kissed her tenderly, she couldn't help but kiss back because she needed this sort of assurance from him, to show that he would be by her side and she also had yearned for a kiss from him after the one they shared last night. The kiss ended fast to Nicole's displeasure, she couldn't hide the look of surprise on her face as they stared into each other's eyes.

Gabriel seems to surprise her more and more with each passing day.

"There they are!" Helen said from the crowd bringing them back to reality.

The guests then turned and cheered them as they finally walked into the crowd, greeting the guests one after the other. The guests were excited about Gabriel's engagement and they all liked Nicole to her surprise. She was glad they didn't ask her questions on a personal level as regards her background. It seemed like a lot of people wanted Gabriel to get married already.

Gabriel and Nicole were chatting with a cousin of his when someone gave his shoulder a pat which caused both he and Nicole to turn around. It was a blonde lady with greyish-blue eyes, a perfectly pointed nose, and a small plump lip, she looked like she was in her thirties. Nicole felt intimidated by not only the lady's looks which was like a goddess but also her model 5ft 9 inches height which Nicole's 5ft 6 inches could not compete with.

                              This is Samantha

The mystery lady seemed annoyed seeing Nicole by Gabriel's side but her demeanor changed to a smile as her eyes landed on Gabriel.

"Sam, I had no idea you were here!" Gabriel said with surprise laced in his voice.

"I wanted to surprise you and I'm glad I did." the lady whom Nicole just found out was named Samantha said placing her hand on Gabriel's shoulder.

"When did you return?"

"I came in two days ago. I was surprised to hear that you're engaged. You didn't tell me about it." she said feigning to be upset with him.

"I'm sorry." Gabriel apologized.

Nicole noticed that this Samantha lady was caressing Gabriel's arm with her fingers and he wasn't saying or doing anything about it. She felt uncomfortable and stupid standing there because she wasn't included in their conversation and Gabriel didn't even care to introduce her to the said lady so she quietly left their presence, Gabriel did not even notice her leave to her disappointment. It looks like this lady holds a special place in Gabriel's life, Nicole thought to herself. She suddenly felt out of place like she didn't belong here which was a fact. So, instead of ruining the party with her glum self, she headed to the bedroom.

"Honey? Where are you going?" Helen asked stopping Nicole in her steps.

"I um. I need to use the bathroom." Nicole nervously replied as she wasn't expecting Helen to see her.

"Are you alright?" Helen asked with a concerned look on her face.

"Y-yeah, I'm fine," Nicole replied faking a smile.

Helen looked at her skeptically for some minutes before letting her go. Nicole let out a sigh of relief after leaving Helen's presence.