Chapter II

It'd been nearly 2 weeks since Eliza's father left, it was quiet, and the constant fear that he'd never come back. But life went on like it always does. Cove walked through the endless bunker hallways greeting other bunker mates of the Ember sector. Before stumbling upon the empty hospital part of the sector. The door was closed and lights turned off, this is where Cove's mother spent most of her time during the early bunker building days.

The Ember bunker was a large bunker system built about twenty years ago, to home all the people of Florida after the nuclear wave of 2100. Every bunker system in every state was either small or large, Florida and California had the biggest bunker system that formed not only due to the nuclear wave but due to the flooding and broken land systems. Of course each bunker systems had homes on top, a line of hospitals and meeting centers in the middle and more homes on the bottom. It was an organized system that every sector used, Ember was just known for how big it was.

Cove looked at the Hospital bunker for a little bit holding onto the bag strap hanging over her shoulder. She never liked coming down to the Hospital bunkers. But Eliza had doctor lessons with her mom, and those couldn't be missed so Cove was sent for chores.

"Ma'am?" Cove perked up looking over to see a short blonde woman, her eyes were a dark empty brown, and she was fit, clearly she worked here, mostly because of her nurse outfit.

"Oh sorry, I came to get some medicine, for Mason Jones." Cove tried to be as friendly as possible to the woman, and clearly the woman recognized the name.

"Oh Mason, is he going out of the bunkers again?" The woman walked over to the Hospital bunker opening the door and turning on the light. Cove followed her before hearing a loud groaning from the back of the bunker.

"What did he come for?" The woman cheerily replied, Cove's mind trained of to the groaning but quickly she payed attention to the woman.

"Thermadol I believe," Cove knew the name by heart, Thermadol was an anti radiation drug taken before and after exposure. It prevented Burns, tumors and mutation, but also helped clear air if need be.

"Ah yes Thermadol, a drug made by Dr. Callagei of the enclosure made for Ravengers. Who's coming to pick it up?" The woman spoke placing the pill bottle in a bag and placing it on the desk for Cove to grab.

"Cove Jones, niece to Mason Jones," Cove never really thought of her last name that much, mostly she'd use her dads but lately she'd been using her Uncle's.

Cove smiled awkwardly but her mind kept pacing to the back of the bunker. Hearing the faint groaning made her uncomfortable and confused, why was there so much grumbling in a Hospital that was never open.

"Uh ma'am do you have a bathroom," Cove spoke quietly and the nurse looked over to her.

"It's in the back," the lady continued her work and Cove did as said following the hallway until she saw the door, all the rooms were dark except one, it didn't have a light on but under the door there was some kind of brightness. That's where she heard groaning.

But it stopped abruptly, she could only assume the lady was telling her to stop listening or peaking into the Hospital rooms. But she couldn't not peek just a little bit. Each door had a window in the middle but they were clouded over windows, but she tried to sneak a right angle hoping to see some kind of color besides the blue of the hospital blankets and walls.  But she had to make this quick, so she walks to the bathroom. She paced around for a little bit, but then she gazed into the mirror, she had to make it look like she was actually going to the bathroom and not just trying to figure out all that sound. She stayed in the bathroom for 2 hours, but the lady at the Hospital didn't think anything of it, and quickly left for her lunch break.