Chapter Twenty One

Lana's Point of View

Jack, Chuck and I sit around in the studio. Jack is creating some sick beats at his booth. The sound of the electric piano chords layered with a fast tempoed-beat is projecting throughout the room. Chuck is on the couch, editing her photos from a recent shoot. Then there's me, who's turning her thoughts and feelings into lyrics in her notepad. I haven't seen Mr. Antonoff in a bit so I fill him in with what's been happening while we continue our individual work.

"And you had the dude arrested?" He asks, frazzled.

"Yeah, shit was fucking crazy. I swear I'm over the paparazzi."

"You've been saying that for years, sis," Chuck chimes in.

"I know but heaven forbid I have a perfect evening on the beach with my girlfriend without it being ruined by some fuck head with a camera. I hope I never see that man again."

"Shit, I'm glad you and Marina are okay. People like that can be unpredictable sometimes," Jack says, as he fingers around his audio panel.

"Mhm," I respond, "Also something else happened." I clear my throat dramatically, which makes Chuck look up at me. I mouth to her what I want to tell Jack. She nods in approval.

"Well?" Jack urges. I nod my head back to Chuck for her to voice it.

"We came out to our parents," She announces.

"Wait, both of you?" He looks over at Chuck, confused.

"Both of us," She confirms.

"You're a lesbian?" He asks, bluntly. She laughs and shakes her head.

"No, I'm bisexual."

"Oh. That's dope," Jack replies, facing back towards the panel. "How did your parents take it?"

I smile, reminiscing the phone call to Mom and Dad. "They took it well. Our father is flying out to meet Marina within the next week or two."

"Damn, that's big. Good for you guys."

"Speaking of Marina," I comment, "You know how she's trying to get a new label?" They both nod. "Well, long story short, this morning her manager came to the house and demanded that he set her up with Sony. I swear the man is a total jackass."

Jack and Chuck both look at me from their projects.

"Sony?" They ask in unison. I nod in confirmation.

"He really is a jackass," Jack agrees, "Someone like Marina does not belong at Sony."

"I tried to talk sense into him, but he seemed persistent into getting her signed there. I hope to god she doesn't go through with it, I know she wont. She's smarter than that."

"I hope so," Chuck says before continuing to look through her shots.

"What a mess," Jack exclaims, "And all of this bullshit just because Atlantic forced her into a two week recording deadline which caused her to lose her voice in the process?" I nod. "These Hollywood labels are fucking cruel."

"At least she has you to steer her in the right direction, Lanz," Chuck smiles, trying to force some positivity.

"Damn y'all have had a week," Jack emphasizes, "Calling the cops, coming out to your parents, and then you, Lana, having to deal with this and her shit manager."

"Yeah, fucking wack. I need a break."

. . .

Marina's Point of View