Chapter 3

logan

"Alpha, I'm sorry." Luke walked with us down the hallway. I held my hand up, "Don't apologize. You defended Tyler and didn't join Adrian." He nodded before walking away. Tyler grabbed my arm and pulled me into the bathroom, locking the door.

I leaned back against the door and watched him sit down on the floor, leaning back against the opposite wall. "So.. we're mates?" Tyler asked, staring at the floor. The question hit me like a silver bullet, drilling into my chest. I slowly nodded and closed my eyes. "Aren't mates like soulmates?"
"Mates are soulmates chosen by the ancestors of the werewolves. It can take months to years in search for their mate. It only took me, eh, what? 16 years to realize that you were my mate? Had a crush on you for over two years and now here we are."

"And what if I don't accept that you're my mate?"

Why this question. Why. Why. Why.

I shook my head, simply avoiding the question. He sighed, "Logan. I like you and all but.. I-I'm just not ready.. for this. We're not supposed to love each other, matter of fact, be friends. I just can't.. I don't want to hurt you.."

It got silent between the two of us that you could drop a pen and hear the echoes afterwards. "I-I have to go." I mumbled before unlocking the door and leaving him alone.

Everyone stay off the clock tonight and go to the pack house after school. No excuses. I sent out in mind link with my pack.

Something's up and I'm gonna sniff it out of you. The she-wolf hunter, Parker responded.

It has to do with your mate.. I can feel your pain and fear. Luke growled.

I went up to the hospital and walked up to the lady at front desk. She made eye contact with me, realizing who I am, then grabbed my wrist. She lead me to a new room and looked at me, "A man came in here earlier, asking for your mother and I just wanted to warn you that he is a very hostile man. He swung at one of the nurses and at me.." I nodded slowly, "I-I'm sorry that you had to go through that.."

"It's okay. We're all used to it." She spoke softly, leaving me alone before I could respond. I took a deep breath and opened the door, slowly walking in. "It's just me." I whispered softly as I closed the door behind me. I started to walk towards the bed until fingers were wrapped around my throat, pinning me back against the wall. "This was all your fault." The man spat out.

"What happened to you?" Adrian snickered. I glared at him, flaring my wolf eyes before sitting down. Luke brought over a bowl of cold water and a cloth, starting to run the cold water over the bruises. "I'm not going to talk about it. Okay?" I growled at him. He winced and sat farther away. "The reason I want you all to stay off the clock is because of my mate." I looked down. "Stay off the clock cause of some stupid girl? Are you stupid?" Luke's younger brother, Damien questioned. "It's not a girl. And never call me stupid." I responded. "He's a vampire. Don't talk to him if you see him. Luke's the only one who knows vampires as well as me and I know he won't hurt him." Murmurs of the pack began to rise amongst one another. "This meeting is over. You are all dismissed." Luke announced.

"Okay why did I agree to this?" He asked as I sat in the ice bath. "Cause you wanted to? You agreed to this all by yourself." I whispered as I leaned my head back. "Don't talk in whispers, you scare me when you do that."
"Just relax my muscles."
"Such a demanding alpha."
"Such a complicated beta."
He sat on the ledge and started to massage my neck and shoulders. I hummed in pleasure as my muscles started to relax. I closed my eyes and slid down into the water after a while.

"You want to be left in here? All night?" He looked at me. I nodded and slinked my body down into the ice. He nodded, dimming the lights, walking out of the room.

-

I woke up as the sun peaked through the window. Good thing this house is in the woods. I got out of the bath and drained the water, wrapping a towel around my waist. I walked into my room and changed into boxers, sweatpants, and a oversized hoodie. It's not like I'm going anywhere besides seeing my mother. I headed downstairs, seeing our alpha of the whole clan. "Ah, Logan," He smiled as I came over to him.
"How's my little pup?"
"I'm okay. My mother's in the hospital, my mate rejected me-"
"Your mate what now?"
"He rejected me. It's fine. I'm fine. Everything's fine. He used the 'I don't want to hurt you..' line after I told him about mates."
"Hm. Seems like he doesn't know what he's missing out on."
I shrugged and sat down, not really caring for whatever he's about to say next.

"How's the pack?"
"Great."
"Just great?"
I simply nodded and felt a hand on my shoulder. "The pack is fine. You put together a good set of wolves with a great alpha, Paul." My beta spoke for me. I couldn't come to peace with words anymore and everything felt out of place without him.

"Good. I hope it stays that way." He smirked. "Until they all turn on you and kill you and your mate." He mumbled out the last part but I heard it. I shot up and growled at him, "Wanna say that out loud so that everyone can hear?" He stood back in fear and remorse, "N-No. Y-You were just hearing things." I slammed my fists onto the table and looked at him with my wolf eyes, "You can lie to the sheep in the pen, but not to the wolf in the woods. No one is going to hurt my mate, even if he rejected me. He doesn't know what's happening between us. If you dare lay a finger on him, you're dead." "Logan." Luke spoke. "Too late for that." The man smirked, stabbing a knife into my chest.

I felt my throat close in an instant, I gasped for air and continued to stare at the man. "What the hell, Paul?!" Luke screamed at him. He stabbed me in the stomach deeply then stood back. I fell the floor and pulled out the knife, "G-Get out." He kneeled down beside me, "What was that? Pup?" He smirked. "I said, get out!" I screamed at him as my wolf forced me to shift. I snarled at him and he laughed, "Best you can do, pup?" I dug my claws into the wooden floor and glared at him. Damien stood in front of me as I turned back, breathing heavily. "Take him. Run and take him to our father." He whispered. Luke picked me up with no issues and started to run. I closed my eyes, laying my head on his chest like a child. "Don't die on me now, Logan."

-

I woke up in a different pack house, with a nicely folded set of sweats that sat in the chair. I got up and felt the familiar pain in my chest. I looked down seeing the bandage wrapped around my chest and lower body. Groaning, I carefully put on the clothes that were given to me and went into the living room. "You're not supposed to be up." The boy stood at the bottom of the steps, crossing his arms.

"Didn't know that I took orders from you now." I rolled my eyes, walking downstairs. "You don't but everyone else does." He spoke.
I shrugged and walked into the kitchen. I opened the freezer and pulled out the biggest piece of meat that I could find. "Logan, we're eating that-" I growled lowly, cutting him off. He put his hands up in defeat, "Okay, okay but you're getting us another." I nodded before I shifted, devouring the bloody leg of the deer.

"You're a handful. Please. Logan. Please. Don't tear up the house." Luke pleaded. I turned back and looked at him, "I'm going to the hospital for the day." "A-And you're going knowing that Ryan is there?!" He screamed at me. I looked at him and nodded. He sighed and patted my shoulder, "I'll talk to Tyler for you. Are you coming to practice?"
"I plan to as long as I don't get my head smashed in."
"Shut up."
"What? The man choked me unconscious in the hospital room and the nurses had to get me away from him before he killed me."
"You're an idiot for going there."
"I'm sorry that I want to see my mother, knowing that any moment could be the last time I see her as herself."
He rolled his eyes and grabbed his keys, "Just please come to practice."
I nodded, "I will. I promise."
He smiled a little as he walked out of the door.

I promise.