At the Healing Center

Sophie had rushed Keefe to the Healing Center immediately. If anything happened to him, she wouldn't be able to forgive herself. She hated Lady Gisela, Keefe's mom, for all the horrible things she had done to him. But what happened in Loanmore seemed to be a new kind of awful, even for Gisela. Elwin had assured her that Keefe's symptoms were just like those of prodigies who had just manifested but Sophie still worried. What if this new ability killed Keefe? What if he never woke up?

Keefe hadn't moved in the past three days. Even when Sophie transmitted to him, he didn't respond. She was starting to lose hope. 

Elwin checked in on Keefe and left. Sophie watched Keefe breathe. His chest steadily moving up and down but other than that, it was hard to know if he was alive. Sophie lifted a hand, hesitated, and held Keefe's hand. It was ice cold like he was dead. She choked back a sob. Sophie tried transmitting to Keefe for what felt like the thousandth time. 

Keefe, come back. We need you. We need you. Come back. She repeated the plea over and over. For half a second, a muscle in Keefe's hand twitched. 

Sophie realized Keefe could hear her. He could wake up but he didn't want to. She stared at his face. How could she possibly make him want to wake up? Her mind wandered to the things that made Sophie keep going. She transmitted an image of Silveny and remembered Keefe's nickname for her, Mama Glitterbutt. Sophie also transmitted the paintings Keefe had made for her of her family and friends. 

Sophie noticed Keefe's breathing was becoming slower. Bullhorn woke up from under a cot. He began screaming and Sophie had a sickening feeling. Elwin rushed in and started grabbing elixirs. He pulled out a vaguely familiar silver square.

Hot tears streamed down Sophie's cheeks as she desperately transmitted to Keefe. Keefe, please. We need you. Sophie traced Keefe's face and her fingers slowly worked their way down to his lips. I need you.

She leaned in and kissed him. Her tears dripped onto Keefe's face and Elwin and Sandor saw them, but Sophie didn't care. His lips were warm and it felt as good as the day when Sophie found out she was an elf. At first, it just felt like Keefe's lips were being pressed against hers but, slowly, his lips kissed her back. It was sweeter than mallowmelt and more loving than any family she had ever known. Sophie pulled away to see Keefe starting to open his eyes. Bullhorn had stopped screaming and gone back to sleep. 

Keefe attempted a smirk and was about to tease her but Sophie strangled him in a hug. 

"It's nice to see you too, Foster," his voice was soft and hoarse. Sophie's tears had become tears of joy and they soaked the back of Keefe's tunic.

"It's more than nice to see you, Keefe. It's been 3 days." Sophie let go of him and noticed that Elwin wasn't there. He must have left after Bullhorn stopped screaming.

"Thank you, Foster." He smiled but it didn't reach his eyes.

"Why?" Sophie demanded.

"Because you didn't give up on me. Even when I had," Keefe rumpled his hair. "I guess this is the second favor I owe you."

"How about you listen to me and next time, don't run into a fight after promising to stay at home?" Sophie offered. She looked over at where Sandor was standing, expecting him to snort, but he wasn't there. Maybe he left with Elwin. 

Keefe sighed but nodded. "I'm sorry. For everything."

Sophie took one of his hands. "It's not your fault that your parents are so awful. I probably would've done the same thing."

"Really?" Keefe raised an eyebrow. "The Mysterious Miss F would break a promise to a close friend, an overprotective bodyguard, part of the Collective, and the Council?"

"Of course. I'd want to take down the Neverseen too. And your mom betrayed you pretty badly."

Keefe whistled. "I'm a bad influence on you."

Sophie shook her head. "No, you're not."

"I'm not so sure about that," replied another voice. Sophie looked up to see Grady, Edaline, Biana, Fitz, Dex, Linh, Tam, Alden, Tiergan, Elwin, Ro, and Sandor. The looks on their faces made it clear they had watched Sophie and Keefe kiss. Sophie blushed. The glare on Grady's face made it obvious he had interrupted them. 

Elwin cleared his throat before the silence could get awkward. "You'll need to take some elixirs now that you're awake, Keefe." 

"Like, the disgusting kind or the really disgusting kind?"

"The really disgusting kind." Elwin grinned. 

Keefe groaned. "Oh man. If I had known reality was going to be terrible, I wouldn't have let Foster wake me up."

Ro snorted. "At least we know you're still the same Lord Hunkyhair."

Keefe shook his head and messed up his hair. "That will never change."

Alden looked thoroughly surprised which confused Sophie. She looked over at Keefe and was about to ask him but he mouthed, Later.

Elwin set a tray of elixirs next to Keefe and started flashing lights around Keefe and asking him questions. 

Edaline suggested, "Sophie, why don't you come home and take a shower? You haven't moved for 3 days."

Sophie nodded. She got up and looked over at Keefe. His eyes were closed tightly as Elwin tipped a vial down his throat. As Keefe swallowed the contents, he shuddered and Ro snickered. Sophie rolled her eyes and turned back to Edaline. As they walked out of the Healing Center, Sophie made sure to avoid eye contact with Fitz. They light-leaped back to Havenfield.