Evelyn/Confessions Pt 2

Neither Keefe nor Sophie were sure how to respond.

Mr. Forkle offered his hand and told them, "This isn't the place."

They light leaped away, to his office. He offered them each a seat and sat down himself. It was a while before Forkle began.

"Creating an elf is a . . . difficult process. We aren't machines. We tend to make mistakes. Project Moonlark 1.0, however, wasn't quite a mistake. It was a kidnapping."

Keefe asked, "It was the Neverseen, wasn't it?"

He confirmed Sophie's fears. "Yes."

"Why?"

"They wanted a superweapon, simply put. Looking back, I should've guessed that both male and female donors where of Pyren descent. I'm not sure who the female is but I am certain that Fintan is Evelyn's father. 

Evelyn was kidnapped shortly after she was born to the Fosters. We performed a memory wipe on them and I convinced them that her abduction was actually another death before birth. It was painful for them but it was safer. We didn't think of it too much.

Days before, the lab had been broken into. Nothing appeared wrong on the tests but I assume Fintan snuck in to alter her genes. If she truly is a Pyren, then he would've made her the strongest possible Pyrokinetic.

I had always guessed that Fintan didn't care about Project Moonlark. I thought that they kidnapped her and killed her."

Forkle took a breath. He looked Sophie in the eye.

"I know you've thought before that Keefe was supposed to be your nemesis, your opposite, but he's not. Evelyn is. She is you but older, stronger, more experienced, more powerful, and, worst of all, . . . remorseless. I'm afraid she's physically and mentally better than you but also guiltless. Mercy is one of our biggest weaknesses. However, it's something the Neverseen doesn't have and never will."

Sophie froze. She felt overloaded with information. She wasn't sure how to feel and opted for sad.

Tears spilled out of her eyes and down her face. She covered her face in her hands. 

Keefe couldn't bear to see her upset and hugged her. Salty tears stained his cloak but he didn't let go. 

He pulled away and, instead, kissed her. Sophie forgot Evelyn, forgot Mr. Forkle, forgot stellarlune, forgot the Black Swan, forgot the Neverseen, forgot the world as the world became Keefe. Just Keefe and her. Nothing more and nothing less. 

Someone cleared their throat and Mr. Forkle came back into existence. Sophie quickly pulled away and felt warmth crept up onto her face.

"I'm sorry to drop a bomb like this and walk away but I have to go back to Foxfire." He stood up. "But I'm glad you found someone who can truly help you, Miss Foster."

He smiled at Keefe and opened the door for them. 

"I take it that you have a home crystal?"

Sophie nodded.

"I'll see you both tomorrow at school. By the way Mr. Sencen, no ditching class."

Keefe groaned and linked hands with Sophie. All three light leaped away towards their separate destinations. 

Havenfield appeared in front of Keefe and Sophie. Sophie put a finger to her lips and gestured for him to follow her. They crept to Calla's tree, unnoticed. 

Sophie collapsed in front of the tree but Keefe caught her.

"You okay?" he asked, softly. 

She nodded. "That was just . . ." Her voice trailed off as she struggled to find the right word.

"Overwhelming," Keefe finished for her. Sophie squeezed his hand and tilted her head back and studied the flowers.

"Should we tell anyone else?"

Keefe thought about it. "Probably not. Forkle had a reason for not telling us. Plus, none of this is confirmed."

"But it's highly probable," she argued.

He shook his head a little. "We have to trust the Black Swan."

"Yeah but -"

Keefe cut her off by lifting her chin up and saying, "You worry too much."

Then he kissed her. Sophie ignored the rest of her sentence and let Keefe become her world yet again. She put her arms around his neck. 

There was a slight breeze and Calla's tree showered them with beautiful soft pink-purple petals. 

Sophie pulled away and smiled at him. 

"Thank you," she whispered before hugging him. 

"It's what I'm here for."