First Date Sophie POV

Later the day Keefe asked her, Sophie had asked her parents. Edaline nodded, of course, while Grady reluctantly let her go. She was going to have to be careful that he didn't start making Sandor spy on them. Keefe had asked her on Thursday which really only gave her three days to prepare. Who knew dating was so stressful?

Sophie had tried to ignore it on Thursday but by Friday after school, she was dying for it to be Saturday while also wishing for more time. She had asked Edaline for some help.

Edaline laughed, seeing how nervous Sophie was. "Relax, it's only your first date."

"Exactly, do you know how many things could go wrong?"

"Sophie, I know Keefe wouldn't ask you if he didn't mean it. That boy is beyond smitten." 

*Edaline called him 'that boy'!!!*

She realized that Sophie wasn't calming down as much as she had hoped. "Okay, baby steps. Let's start with what you're going to wear."

"I have no clue!!" Sophie exclaimed, frantically pacing back and forth.

Edaline gave her a tentative smile. "Remember how I bought you a lot of dresses?" Sophie nodded. "I got you that teal dress just because I thought it would make you happy. But want to see my favorite?" She dug through the closet before showing Sophie the most gorgeous ice blue dress. 

Sophie realized what Edaline had been implying and covered her hands in her face. "Great. Dad liked Dex and you liked Keefe. That's not embarrassing at all."

"That's what parents do." Edaline smiled.

By seven on Saturday, Sophie was freaking out. Edaline strode into the room and snapped her fingers. A mirror appeared in front of Sophie's chair and she motioned for Sophie to sit. 

It was a long and tedious process of Edaline helping Sophie with her hair and makeup but by the end, it seemed like the right choice. Sophie played with the end of the small braid in her hair. She heard the door open and Edaline went downstairs. 

"Shoot," she whispered. Sophie started trying to put on heels. It took ten very long minutes to force her feet into the shoes. Note to self: Burn these shoes. 

She summoned all her courage to walk downstairs. Keefe was standing at the door, uncomfortable with the looks Grady was giving him, and staring at his boots. He looked up at Sophie. In his fitted clothes, Keefe looked better than a Vacker.  

Unsure what to do, Sophie awkwardly waved at him. Keefe sucked in a breath making her a little worried. She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "What, did I smudge it?"

"No, Sophie, you look . . . perfect." She realized Keefe had called her by her first name and Sophie smiled. She tried to take a step forward, then stumbled. Keefe caught her.

"Still clumsy, huh?" He offered her his hand and she took it. 

Sophie blushed. "This is why I don't wear dresses." That and the fact that almost every dress she owned was so . . . overkill. 

"You should." Keefe gave her the most adorable grin, completely earnest, making her turn a shade of pink.

Grady ruined the moment by saying, "You better be back by 11." He kept talking. Thankfully, Edaline cut him off with one last wave and closed the door. 

Sandor turned to Ro. "Is wherever we're going safe?" Of course Sandor would ask that.

"Relax! I checked. It's safe!" Ro rolled her eyes and muttered something under her breath that sound suspiciously a lot like paranoid goblins.