A Surprise Visit

*Omg guys, 11k!!!!*

Sophie carefully studied her reflection. She wore a length emerald green dress that was shorter in the front and longer in the back, the hem resting around her ankles. The sleeves flowed a little and ended halfway on her forearms. The neckline was more like Biana's dresses as Sophie had always preferred dresses close to her neck but Edaline and Vertina had encouraged her to wear this dress. Light and steady, she wore gold eyeshadow that brought out the golden flecks in her eyes with an extremely light red lip gloss and thin but dark black eyeliner.

The makeup was extremely minimalistic in comparison to what Biana wore on a daily basis for casual events but the effect was amazing. 

Sophie had one braid in her open blond hair and she stared in wonder at the mirror. Vertina sighed. 

"Yes. This truly is you," she assured her.

Sophie rolled her eyes. "Just seeing myself like this is . . . unnerving."

"Why?"

She traced the jewels on the mirror. "Because I've been told that I'm an elf but it's hard to believe sometimes. Even with all my abilities. But now . . . I look and feel like a real elf." Tears started forming as Sophie whispered, "I feel like I belong." 

She blinked hard and fast and took a deep breath in. "I'm ready." She carefully walked down the stairs with one hand on the railing, making an effort not to trip in the dress. Thankfully, Edaline didn't push for heels. 

Sophie glanced at her wrist on which was her ice blue crush cuff she shared with Keefe. His birthday present.

It was the only jewelry she wore.  Grady had tried to convince her to not take it, not because he didn't like Keefe - he had grown fond of him - , but because of the occasion. Sophie refused. 

She realized how much of a stereotypical princess she looked like, walking formally down the stairs in a gorgeous dress. She internally groaned but pushed it out of mind. 

Edaline embraced her at the bottom of the stairs and Grady squeezed her hand. 

"Good luck kiddo," he whispered and Edaline smiled encouragingly. 

A knock on the door echoed in the house. She went to answer it. Outside stood Keefe, clad in green as well. 

He had dressed so fine that it took Sophie aback. She was so used to Keefe's untucked uniform that he still pulled off impeccably. When he dressed like he was actually the son of  elves in nobility, Keefe looked better than any Vacker. 

He smirked. "What happened to the Fearsome Lady Fos-Bos?"

Sophie glared at him, wishing he'd forget Dex's nickname for her. "I was just surprised to see you actually dressed nicely."

Keefe pretended to be hurt and put a hand on his heart. He gasped, "How could you, Foster?" 

"Come on Keefe," she rolled her eyes. "We're going to be late."

Keefe gave her a look. "Excuse me? Everyone's meeting at 10 AM, and it's 8!!"

She shook her hand, grabbed him and Sandor and dragged them outside, calling out goodbyes to Edaline and Grady. 

Grady exchanged a look with Edaline and grinned. 

Outside, Sophie formed a circle with her bodyguards and Keefe and lifted them up. Then they fell back down and she teleported them away. 

She was hoping they'd land alright for once. Instead, they hit the floor and she accidentally fell on Keefe. 

"Are you trying to kill me Foster," he joked. 

Sophie helped him up. "You know, you could say thank you."

"Where's the fun in that?"

She didn't reply as a painfully familiar tree of different caught her eye. She stumbled to it and stared painfully at it. 

Keefe held her hand as tears leaked out. They passed half an hour in silence. The air was calm for once and Sophie wished it would last.

It didn't. 

Another elf appeared. They had no leaping crystal and weren't with Mr. Forkle. Sophie immediately knew something was wrong. Her fears were confirmed as she spotted an eye on their sleeve.

Sandor was on alert and he and Bo rushed to fight elf. They grinned. Sandor and Bo never stood a chance. Quickly, they were on the ground with knives at their throats.

Pinned to the ground, Bo growled, "Bested by an elf. I can't believe it."

Sandor agreed, "She beat us at our own game."

The elf smirked and pushed back their hood, revealing a girl with sky blue eyes, dramatic features, and jet black hair. The ends were dyed red, orange, and yellow.  

"Don't flatter yourself," she told them. "You were never even players." 

She was about to end them when Sophie threw a star at her. It was a terrible throw but the girl caught it in between her fingers without looking away from the goblin and ogre. 

The girl pushed them off the cliff they stood on and came for Flori. The sweet gnome was immediately knocked over as well. 

Sophie prayed Nubiti would stop her with a surprise attack. 

The girl smirked again, "Come on out dwarf. I know you're there."

Nubiti attempted to make the ground collapse but the girl was quick and light on her feet, gracefully leaping out of the way seconds before the dirt gave way, pressuring Nubiti to come up. 

Nubiti squinted at the bright light and the girl swifty kicked her, toppling her over the side. 

She grinned maliciously. "Well, well. I finally get to meet Sophie Foster. And Keefe Sencen. What a good catch."

Sophie snarled, "You're not going anywhere." She and Keefe drew out throwing stars but the girl beat them to it. She threw knifes, pinning them against the Wanderling.

As the world turned black, Sophie watched her set Mr. Forkle's Wanderling on fire. She thrashed but was tied with rope. 

The girl turned to face her. "Sorry, little sis."

*Wow, that was an intense chapter. Isn't this slightly reminiscent of Book 1?*