Shores of Solace

Do you realize that when you abbreviate Shores of Solace, you get SOS? I wonder if that's on purpose.

When Sophie went to bed that night, she kept staring at her ceiling. Keefe was a Mesmer. A. Mesmer. And Lady Gisela could use him to control anyone. Sophie shuddered at the thought Keefe bending people to his mother's will. How would she control Keefe? Bonds like the ones Tam had? How would the Council react to Keefe's new ability. Sophie remembered the talk Grady had given her, so long ago. People had used Grady as an excuse for getting out of detention. 

What if Keefe did misuse his power, by choice or otherwise? How badly would he be punished? 

Those two questions ensured no amount of alicorn transmissions and Panakes songs could help Sophie fall asleep. She pulled out three eyelashes and bit her lip. 

Sophie reached out and felt for Keefe's consciousness. Keefe, are you awake? she asked. 

Well, now I am. Thanks, Foster.

Oh, sorry. I'll go.

No, don't, I was just teasing. So, why did you want to talk to me in the middle of the night?

Can I just come over?

Aww, Foster's missing me THAT much?

NO, it's just . . . I want to talk to you. And it'll be easier face to face. So, can I come?

Sure, meet me at the swings.

Okay, see you.

Sophie got up and changed into soft leggings and a dark tunic.

"Sandor?" she whispered. 

"Yes?" came the high-pitched reply.

"Keep your voice down!" Sophie hissed.

"Okay, yes?" Sandor whispered. 

"Um, can I go to the Shores of Solace?"

Sandor rolled his eyes. "In the middle of the night?"

"If you want, you can come," she offered.

Sandor scoffed, "What makes you think you can go?"

"We both know I'm not going to sleep either way."

"Fine," he huffed. "Ugh, seeing Mr. Sencen again is going to be miserable."

"You don't have to go, Ro will be there."

Sandor shook his head furiously. "I go where you go."

"Flori?" Sophie whispered.

Thankfully, the gnome whispered back. "Yes?"

"I'm, um, going to see Keefe. Could you make sure Grady and Edaline don't find out?"

"I can keep them away until dawn," Flori promised.

"Thank you," Sophie breathed. Flori winked and gestured for them to go. Sophie nodded. She led Sandor out a window and started levitating them. 

Sophie enjoyed watching Sandor squirm as they got higher up. 

"Don't scream," she warned. "Or else Grady and Edaline are going to freak out."

"I'll . . . do my best," Sandor swallowed. Sophie dropped them and just seconds before hitting the ground, she opened the void. Seconds later, they were at the Shores of Solace. 

A familiar-looking figure waved at them. Sophie walked over to the swings and sat next to her boyfriend. 

"Aw, did Gigantor want to see me a second time? I think I've grown on him!" Keefe smirked.