Back to Foxfire

When Sophie had gotten home after visiting Keefe, she decided it was best not to tell Grady where she had gone. Otherwise, he might start telling her that she needed to go to Foxfire, not visit "That Boy". But, Grady would have had a point. Sophie probably should go back to Foxfire. But every time she considered it, she felt nauseous and tugged out two eyelashes. Going back to Foxfire meant having to face Fitz and as much as Sophie had assured Keefe she was fine, she really wasn't. However, Grady and Edaline thought she should go back to school. Plus, Sophie really had to catch up. Midterms were getting so close. When she went to bed, she stared at the ceiling, hoping that it wouldn't be so bad.

Sophie woke up and got ready for school. She hugged Grady and Edaline goodbye before using the Leapmaster to go to Foxfire. As soon as Sophie reached campus, she didn't see Fitz. So far so good. 

She got through the day a lot better than she thought it was going to be. But then Sophie had to face lunch. 

She sat with Dex, Biana, Linh, and Tam. Biana was a lot friendlier than Sophie had been expecting her to be. 

Dex started a discussion with Tam and Linh over how you eat mallowmelt. Sophie shook her head.

She looked over at Biana and swallowed before asking the question that was on her mind. "Are you mad at me?"

Biana was startled. "Why would I be?"

"Because," Sophie pulled another eyelash. "I broke up with Fitz."

Biana laughed. "I don't care whether or not you're dating my brother. Honestly," she lowered her voice. "I kind of prefer it this way. It's less awkward."

"Oh," Sophie felt relieved. "I thought you were going to ignore me or something."

"No, that's between you two." Biana's eyes drifted to where Dex and Tam were. "So how do you eat mallowmelt?"

Dex answered, "You eat it left to right or right to left."

Tam shook his head. "Don't listen to him. It's supposed to be down to up."

Sophie shrugged, "I eat it any way that gets it in my mouth." Linh giggled. 

"I'm with Sophie on that one," Linh agreed. Biana nodded.

Sophie glanced around the room. She noticed a certain teal-eyed boy looking over at her. But when she tried to make eye contact with him, he turned away. 

Biana bit her lip. "I'm sorry Sophie. I tried to talk Fitz out of it but he's pretty upset."

"Upset?! He's the one who broke up with me!" Sophie was stunned. Keefe was right. Fitz was being pretty annoying. 

Dex raised an eyebrow. "Wonderboy broke up with you?"

Sophie turned a slight shade of red. She hadn't realized all of her friends had been watching her. But she might as well admit it. "Yes."

Linh hugged her, "His loss." 

"He didn't deserve you anyway," Dex added.

Biana smiled. "Besides, you're Sophie Foster. You've faced way worse."

Dex elbowed Tam hard and glared at him. Tam looked back and forth between Dex, Linh, and Biana.

"What?" he asked. "Am I supposed to say something encouraging?"

Linh sighed and nodded while Dex facepalmed himself. 

"Oh, uh, you didn't die," Tam offered. "And, um, yeah."

Sophie laughed as her friends shook their heads. She smiled, genuinely smiled, for the first time that day. 

"You guys are right. I'm fine. And I don't need Fitz," Sophie agreed. 

The bell rang and they headed in different directions to their classes. Sophie went through the rest of that day feeling a lot better. 

She didn't need Fitz to be happy. She just needed her friends. And if Fitz didn't want to be one, that was his problem, not hers.