The Talk

When Sophie got back home to Havenfield, she didn't want to but she had to. She was going to admit she was dating Keefe. To. Her. Parents. More importantly, to Grady. Edaline would be okay but talking to Grady about it made Sophie want to pull out two eyelashes. 

Sophie sighed and summoned all of her courage. She walked downstairs but didn't see Edaline and Grady. She went outside and saw Edaline trying to distract the verminion while Grady tried to pull off a jaculus from its back. It reminded Sophie of when she first met Edaline and Grady. Grady had been trying to rid Verdi of a jaculus. 

After his fourth attempt, Grady got the jaculus off the verminion. Grady carefully slid off the verminion and they got out of the enclosure. 

Edaline called out, "Sophie? Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, Mom," Sophie replied. "I just wanted to talk to you and Dad about something."

"Sure. But let's go inside first," suggested Grady. 

"Okay." Sophie felt nervous but there was no backing out now. They walked inside. Edaline snapped her fingers and conjured the fluffiest and softest couch Sophie had ever seen. They all sat down. Sophie fidgeted with the end of her tunic. 

"So what was it that you wanted to talk to us about?" Grady asked. 

Sophie swallowed. "Would you ever hate me?"

Edaline stroked Sophie's hair and hugged her. "Of course not! We love you, Sophie."

Grady added, "Even if you do something reckless that involves That Boy."

"What your overprotective father means is that we fully support every decision you make," corrected Edaline, glaring at Grady. 

"I'm dating Keefe," Sophie blurted out. 

Grady groaned and Edaline elbowed him. 

"That's great," she smiled.

Grady started banging his head on the couch and muttering "No, no, no" over and over. He grabbed a corner of the couch and pressed his face against it. Grady started shaking a little bit before moaning loudly. He muttered something that sounded suspiciously a lot like "That Boy" and some complaints.

"Um, Dad, are you okay?" Sophie asked. 

Grady sat up straight. "Just like your mother said, we will always support you. Even. If. It. Involves. That. Boy," he said through clenched teeth. He forced himself to smile. 

"So you don't hate me?" Sophie asked cautiously. 

Grady exhaled. "No Sophie, I don't hate you. But I will need to have a very long discussion with That Boy."

Edaline rolled her eyes. "I'll make sure it doesn't get out of hand." Leaning closer to Sophie, she whispered, "I'll try to make sure Grady doesn't give him a 750 question test."

Grady snorted. "It's only 550 questions."

Sophie rolled her eyes. This went going a lot better than she thought it would. She also had to make sure to warn Keefe before he ever came to Havenfield. 

Sophie hugged Grady and Edaline. "Thank you." Grady ruffled her hair and they said something along the lines of 'of course' but Sophie couldn't tell. She just felt relieved. 

They had a chance.