Calla's Tree Keefe's POV

Keefe tore a hand through his hair and stared at his ceiling. It was one of those nights that made him want to recreate the Great Gulon Incident or something equally awful. Of course when Forkle told the Council about his Mesmerizing, he had to tell Lord Cassius too but completely forgot to tell Keefe. He found out when he came home from school. 

Keefe had leaped to the Shores of Solace. Ro wrinkled her nose when she saw the property. 

"Hey," she nudged Keefe and pointed at a figure walking towards them. Lord Cassius. Ugh. 

"What does that loser want?" Keefe muttered. He could feel his father's emotions all the way from where he was standing, so they had to be really strong because Keefe could only read Foster's emotions without making contact. They were pretty intense.

"KEEFE!" Lord Cassius grabbed his son's arm and dragged him into his room. He slammed Keefe's door shut. 

Ro gave him a glare and drew her weapon, casually pointing it in Lord Cassius's direction. "Let go of him."

Lord Cassius looked like he wanted to argue but wanted to stay alive more so he let go of Keefe. 

"What is wrong with you?" he spat. "Why wouldn't you say anything about this to me?"

Keefe scoffed. "What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about your Mesmerizing!"

Keefe paled but tried to hide it. "Who told you?"

"Mr. Forkle had to because my worthless son thinks telling his friends is more important than his father!"

"Well, maybe if you were a better parent I wouldn't have to hid from you!" Keefe shot back.

Lord Cassius scowled. "Yes, at the age of fifteen you are qualified to tell me how to raise you."

"See? You really do suck. You don't even know how old I am!"

"That is completely irrelevant."

"You are literally the most abusive, obnoxious, egotistical, and idiotic parent there is. Why do you think I don't wan't associated with you in any way? Come on, Ro." Keefe snatched Mrs. Stinkbottom, opened the door, and walked out.

Lord Cassius screamed, "KEEFE SENCEN YOU GET BACK HERE!!!"

"I'D LIKE TO SEE YOU MAKE ME," Keefe yelled back. He leaped to Candleshade, only because his father refused to go there, even to get him back. 

"Man, your parents suck," Ro shook her head.

"Tell me about it." Keefe had decided to stay at Candleshade for the rest of the day.

He hugged Mrs. Stinkbottom tightly.

Ro noted, "You really aren't going to get any sleep."

"Yeah, no."

"Havenfield?"

"You bet." Keefe grabbed the temporary leaping crystal he had made for when his father would be too much. Holding Ro's hand, they left Candleshade. 

The crystal lead to Calla's tree. Keefe sat down and put his head against it. 

"It's not easy being different?" he asked the tree. Calla seemed to answer yes. 

"How do you stand it?"

Wind rustled the leaves. Keefe listened intently to the sounds the tree made. Calla made music with nature. 

"Don't you hate being alone? No one understands." The tree quieted and a petal dropped onto Keefe's lap. "I know I have Sophie, but she has her own problems."